Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

8 minutes ago, Ender In The Sky said:

We’ve got him for another 3 years. Letting him learn this season will benefit us long term. His personal development is arguably more important than the teams results. One step backwards. 2 steps forward. 

He’s never going to be here for 3 years, he’ll be gone in the next 3 weeks.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He’s never going to be here for 3 years, he’ll be gone in the next 3 weeks.

Our league comes to a halt because of the World Cup - perhaps we should get rid then and have the new manager in place for when league games re-start.

Just now, PerryBarrPet said:

Our league comes to a halt because of the World Cup - perhaps we should get rid then and have the new manager in place for when league games re-start.

Need to do it earlier. We don't wanna start someone off from the bottom three. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ender In The Sky said:

We’ve got him for another 3 years. Letting him learn this season will benefit us long term. His personal development is arguably more important than the teams results. One step backwards. 2 steps forward. 

Perhaps in a world where every manager is eventually successful.

You earn the right for more time. When there aren’t the results, the performances, even a faint glimmer of what the gameplan is and what we are working towards then what are we waiting for? 

Id rather not gamble the future of the club just to benefit Steven Gerrard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

No way that’s too far away, he needs to be gone before that.  

A new manager in that has at least a couple of weeks to get a sense of the squad now so then over the WC break can plan for the second half of the season.  Bringing in a manager in WC break means he’s starting from scratch when the PL resumes and first time he will have seen some of the players.

I’m not sure of the point of persisting with Gerrard to your point if he’s going to be replaced anyway.

Edited by nick76

I dont think ive ever seen one season end and the next start as if there was never a 3 month gap inbetween. We look no different, this pre-season was his chance to get things nailed down, bring his players in and he said plenty of times he couldnt be happier- he has who he wants in, etc. No excuses. 

Of course Carlos being injured is a blow, but even he played in that opening day disaster. A major part of management is keeping the players on side and buying into your philosophy- the evidence points to the opposite. A lot of unrest and poor performances collectively and individually is a big concern. What I dont get is that when things are clearly not working, you have to try something else and he just isnt. Losing games at the rate we have been surely must tell you as a manager that maybe its time to be solid first and foremost (no clean sheets in 10 games now). How about keeping the fullbacks back a bit more, how about 2 holders, how about playing wingers as your width, how about trying a striker bang in form from the start when the other 2 regularly do very little, how about dropping certain players even if you did make them captain, how about showing you have a pair to do something about your clearly failing systemic approach. 3 points from those 4 games is abysmal, we’re just lucky its still early in the season and we can pull this out of the fire if we can get in a top manager.

Gerrard was such a gamble, and I get why it was made at the time but it hasnt paid off and shows no signs of paying off. Ive seen enough to know we categorically have to Cut our losses and get the next appointment right. We could easily go down if we dont, we’ve all seen these red flags before with all the negative vibes and leaks coming out daily now it seems. It feels like that captain decision was a big catalyst, unnecessary attention thats backfired massively. I might be wrong but it seems that way to me. We’ve gone backwards and look the club in most turmoil along with maybe Everton right now. A lot of other fans from other clubs were all saying look at Villa signing Digne and Coutinho on huge wages, they’re doing an Everton, well it looks like they might have been right. I pray to God we pull a performance out our arses tomorrow somehow but clearly its hugely unlikely.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ender In The Sky said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It is strange that most of the media (bbc/sky etc) are all saying Gerrard should not be sacked, needs more time, only been 4 games etc.

Has any of them watched us play?, has any of them any idea of the fact that this is just a continuation of last season? and out of the 3 games we won out of what is it now 13 league games 2 of those wins were against teams that went down...

Whereas most football supporters both the Villa and of other teams clearly see that Gerrard is way out of his depth

1 minute ago, delboy54 said:

It is strange that most of the media (bbc/sky etc) are all saying Gerrard should not be sacked, needs more time, only been 4 games etc.

Has any of them watched us play?, has any of them any idea of the fact that this is just a continuation of last season? and out of the 3 games we won out of what is it now 13 league games 2 of those wins were against teams that went down...

Whereas most football supporters both the Villa and of other teams clearly see that Gerrard is way out of his depth

Most of the idiots in the media played with Gerrard or against him so they remember the footballer. Also the ones not so famous dont want to be blackballed by the media for insulting a Liverpool hero

• Like 1

Just now, delboy54 said:

This is often the case when media discuss potential manager sackings. No-one cares about players being benched or sold, that's part of the game. But when a manager is in danger, many think of it as an ordinary employee at a company being treated harshly. Unless a manager has been drunk at work or been caught by the police he deserves to stay -- according to some.

Also, media and fans of other clubs for some reason often feel the need to interfere when it comes to saving managers.

22 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

4 games.

A loss to one of the worst PL teams in history, who lost 9-0 3 weeks later.

A loss to a bang average Palace side who played us off the park.

A loss to rock bottom West Ham who hadn't even scored a goal before us.

Why are we wasting time? 

Hoping we’re not, and the talks are going on behind the scenes while we let him take the brunt of Arteta and Pep pulling our pants down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However, that is not entirely true is it? By the way I'm not having a go at you...

Case in point the first-half against West Ham (according to the radio) was mostly dominated by Villa, possession, chances, goal disallowed and Coutinho looked quite good. 

I only watched the second-half which was a s*** show to be fair.

I'm wavering and influenced by much of what I hear on VT, everyone seems to be shouting Gerrard OUT and they were before he even got the job, just seems like he was doomed to fail before he started.

But a part of my thinks well if we look at the first-half there were grounds for optimism and we were looked like worthy winners. But then the half-time team talk, Luiz subbed which changed the game.

If you look at it the way a lot of us are now seeing things. The reason we were crap in the second half is because Moyes changed the shape to best work against us.

Gerrard has never done this, that's why we seem to have one good half and one crap half. It's because he has no clue how to make tactical decisions that affect the outcome of the game, and that is the bare minimum I'd expect from a Villa manager. That's why everyone has turned, it's getting fairly obvious he doesn't have a clue what he is doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However, that is not entirely true is it? By the way I'm not having a go at you...

Case in point the first-half against West Ham (according to the radio) was mostly dominated by Villa, possession, chances, goal disallowed and Coutinho looked quite good. 

I only watched the second-half which was a s*** show to be fair.

I'm wavering and influenced by much of what I hear on VT, everyone seems to be shouting Gerrard OUT and they were before he even got the job, just seems like he was doomed to fail before he started.

But a part of my thinks well if we look at the first-half there were grounds for optimism and we were looked like worthy winners. But then the half-time team talk, Luiz subbed which changed the game.

Our Xg for the entire game was 0.49. Saying chances is a bit of a stretch  

Seems even those who would otherwise be supportive have turned too. This is a pretty good summary of where we are as a club and the basic mistakes we made treating Aston Villa as a brand in instead of a football side.

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No way that’s too far away, he needs to be gone before that.  

A new manager in that has at least a couple of weeks to get a sense of the squad now so then over the WC break can plan for the second half of the season.  Bringing in a manager in WC break means he’s starting from scratch when the PL resumes and first time he will have seen some of the players.

I’m not sure of the point of persisting with Gerrard to your point if he’s going to be replaced anyway.

Because it takes time to find the optimum replacement - can’t afford any more mistakes. Does anyone really believe we can sack Gerrard now and have his replacement in in short order? Certainly we should start looking now but the premature sacking of Gerrard  could leave a management void for a substantial time and while Gerrard is poor a void is worse.

Â