Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, macandally said:

Me too, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t recognise the limitations Gerrard has.

Of course he has limitations. He came here with relatively little experience as a manager but he was identified as somebody who will learn and become a decent manager ..... arguably in the same way as many of our players are expected to evolve into top talents. The Villa project is a step-by-step project, not an overnight transformation and I have confidence that SG will improve with the experience he is now gaining and I'm quite happy with that.

13 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

You are right to point this out. We all love Deano but the truth is he has one of the best squads in the championship, he has had most of these players since last year and he is still failing very very badly. I dont care if its only 3 games in, Norwich should be aiming to win the league, not be bottom as they currently are.

Imho evidence shows Purslow was right to make the change. I also think he got the replacement right. Even if Gerrard walks out the door tomorrow he will have improved us by virtue of the improved squad we have.

It'll be great if Purslow has just used Gerrard to get some good players in, an Poch is incoming. 🤣

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Imho evidence shows Purslow was right to make the change. I also think he got the replacement right. Even if Gerrard walks out the door tomorrow he will have improved us by virtue of the improved squad we have.

Tough to make us worse putting £160m into the team's with fees and wages. Pretty sure most managers could have done that. Not Steve Bruce obviously, but most managers.

Being better than Smith was the minimum Gerrard had to achieve and he hasn't got there yet. He's failed to meet a pretty low bar so far.

Generally happy with Gerrard & co today. The win ought to have been a bit more straightforward than it was, but I think that;s on the players really to manage the in-game situation a little better than they did. The unenforced subs were good, Buendia made an excellent impact and I saw the logic in the others. I'm still a bit mystified as to what our best side actually is, but given the unhappy week we've had this was a very welcome 3 points against an awkward Everton team who were there only to spoil. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wict01 said:

Generally happy with Gerrard & co today. The win ought to have been a bit more straightforward than it was, but I think that;s on the players really to manage the in-game situation a little better than they did. The unenforced subs were good, Buendia made an excellent impact and I saw the logic in the others. I'm still a bit mystified as to what our best side actually is, but given the unhappy week we've had this was a very welcome 3 points against an awkward Everton team who were there only to spoil. 

Going forward was probably the most positive from today. Ok we weren't getting chances every minute but we scored two and probably could've scored a couple more against a team that set up solely to park the bus.

• Like 1

SG has straight up just rubbished the conspiracy theories about him and Tyrone on BBC post match.

" I can't control what written outside of Aston Villa "

" Yes I made the decision to change the Captain, that was my decision, I wanted to put.mt own stamp on the team if you like "

" But no one has taken Tyrone out of the team, he was injured last week, he came back and trained extremely well this week was very good today, so credit to him "

https://fb.watch/eTR91gzD94/

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Chine said:

JV , I know it’s late but do you mean turn the tap off for SG or TH ?

I don't want anyones tap turned off mate 🤣.

I was just aggressively / sarcastically trying to make a point which might have come out as gibberish as I was being a bit too aggro at the time.

The point was more that every Manager should have the ability / right to make their own signings and mould their own squad, and it doesn't happen overnight etc.

Ten Haag is an excellent Manager/ Coach who is having a hard time at Man U, a squad filled with 100s of million of pounds worth of talent, and he's straight up said today " We need better players, quality players " etc 

Yet some people are of the view that SG shouldn't have the right to any signings as he should be able to coach what we've got etc.

Anyway I don't want to revive the argument to be fair as we've past it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chine said:

JV , I know it’s late but do you mean turn the tap off for SG or TH ?

Mate, I actually just realised that, it seems a chunk of the posts from the discussion and exchange have been moved over to the match reaction thread by MODS, no wonder it never made any sense, and looked like I was spoutng madness to myself 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, I actually just realised that, it seems a chunk of the posts from the discussion and exchange have been moved over to the match reaction thread by MODS, no wonder it never made any sense, and looked like I was spotting madness to myself 🤣

Now it’s very funny ! Long live the MODS !

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, I actually just realised that, it seems a chunk of the posts from the discussion and exchange have been moved over to the match reaction thread by MODS, no wonder it never made any sense, and looked like I was spoutng madness to myself 🤣

Welcome to my world 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Totally gutted we won as it means Gerrard keeps his job longer. Was desperate for Everton to score at the end. Would have been brilliant to show how shit Gerrard is a manager. Never been so gutted at a full time whistle.

Love the sarcasm.

if we continue to win games I’ll be **** delighted 

• Like 2

Â