Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We haven't beaten a team that finished above 15th in the league last season since December

FFS this is completely  unacceptable… why is he still here?

I can’t see how/why anyone can back him, it just gets worse…

Edited by Jas10

From CBSSports.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/premier-league-overreactions-steven-gerrard-on-hot-seat-at-aston-villa-everton-wont-be-in-drop-zone-more/

Premier League overreactions: Steven Gerrard on hot seat at Aston Villa, Everton won't be in drop zone, more

1. Steven Gerrard will be the first manager sacked

There's plenty to worry about for Aston Villa after an uninspiring loss to Bournemouth. Since Steven Gerrard took over for Dean Smith in November of 2021, Aston Villa have struggled to live up to expectations. Villa have had the 10th best record in the league (10W, 5D, 13L) since Gerrard took over. That's an improvement over a Dean Smith team that was 16th in the league, but it's hard not to give Smith credit for some of that improvement as he had the unenviable task of integrating everyone brought to replace Jack Grealish.

But as the spending continues with Gerrard being backed with the additions of Diego CarlosPhilippe Coutinho and Boubacar Kamara, the expectations are for him to at minimum secure a top-half position for Aston Villa. While might seem doable, it's hard to feel optimistic about Gerrard's prospects when he's also freezing out former club captain Tyrone Mings. "When Tyrone is back at his best and looks me in the eye and shows me he's ready to play, he'll get opportunities," Gerrard said in a recent interview with the Telegraph

Those are pointed words that stick out like a sore thumb, especially when it involves a former club captain. While Mings is an inconsistent player at times, throwing him under the bus is just the kind of way to lose the dressing room if things aren't going well. With Everton up next, Aston Villa are already in need of a result because they have Crystal Palace, West Ham and Arsenal up next. It's certainly possible to imagine a scenario where they open the season winless in five and make Gerrard's seat that much warmer ahead of the September international break.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

FFS this is completely  unacceptable… why is he still here?

I can’t see how/why anyone can back him, it just gets worse…

To be fair, it's not true. We beat Brighton in February. That's the only win since December though which isn't that much better.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, it's not true. We beat Brighton in February. That's the only win since December though which isn't that much better.

So we did. I was at that game as well.

I may have misremembered the stat, apologies

• Like 1

All bad for Steven Gerrard and his name/brand, if he doesn't turn it around.

I sincerely hope he does but i'm starting to waver my support in backing him.

Certainly seems like another big name former player who just isn't manager material...

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Spock-bright-future.jpg

The media have certainly woken up. The pressure is now on him from them as well as the fans. More importantly the owners and Purslow must be worried as well.

The next two games are huge for us.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wanting your clubs manager to do well is sad? Didn’t realise it was a who is proven right contest ffs.

I guess if things continue to go wrong wanting to give Gerrard a chance and hope he does well for the club sake we’ll be thrown in peoples faces. 

I sense a lot of point scoring already.  Pretty lame.

Nothing to do with wanting him to do well but warning signs have been flashing for months and its getting worse and people ignored it

Every time was an excuse to defend him. Let him sign his own players, give him a pre-season or its only a friendly

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Damning but it’s continually being ignored…

No it’s not. Fans have just said let’s give him a preseason and see how he gets on in the new season.  So far it’s looked pretty shit but it’s only one game.   What’s the point of constant anger and negativity ? It isn’t going to change anything when the season has just started.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Nothing to do with wanting him to do well but warning signs have been flashing for months and its getting worse and people ignored it

Every time was an excuse to defend him. Let him sign his own players, give him a pre-season or its only a friendly

People ignored it how? What do you want people to do, protest out villa park?

Yes he has been defended to try and avoid constant negativity  This place has been toxic since Bournemouth game. Horrible angry place. You wanted that throughout last season and the summer? What would you have got out of that? 

Please explain.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

No it’s not. Fans have just said let’s give him a preseason and see how he gets on in the new season.  So far it’s looked pretty shit but it’s only one game.   What’s the point of constant anger and negativity ? It isn’t going to change anything when the season has just started.

I’m getting tired of this “one game” rhetoric, he has been here for over 9 months and his record and effect on us has been dire… now he seems to have caused unrest and made some very questionable decisions… the signs are worrying…

Am I not allowed to be frustrated and annoyed? It’s a forum, we all have our opinions and a right to express them…

I was on the fence with SG last season, thinking everything would improve with time but things have only gone downhill. He’s had a lot of leeway and resources and, again, I can’t see where he is taking us other than backwards/downhill.

I hope it improves, I genuinely do, but i am worried and concerned as I don’t see any signs for encouragement.

If you don’t like my comments, feel free to stick me on ignore. I’m not here to fight or argue with people, but I see no reason why I cannot state how I feel… it can be a bit of a release too…

I’m not the only one who feels this way either.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You can hide posts mate 😄 

From the dots in the corner.

Any positive performances under SG were a hell of a long time ago, the momentum has been decline/downward and it is very worrying… we’ve barely won any games…

I'm ok owning my F*ck ups mate.

Which are multiple. lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

People ignored it how? What do you want people to do, protest out villa park?

Yes he has been defended to try and avoid constant negativity  This place has been toxic since Bournemouth game. Horrible angry place. You wanted that throughout last season and the summer? What would you have got out of that? 

Please explain.

Not the person you replied to, but while I wouldn't expect protests, I also don't expect people to bury their heads in the sand, but it's what a lot of people did while we scraped our way to some decent results with atrocious performances in pre season, as well as completely excusing poor performances last season because he just needed the summer.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Totally agree. It’s only Everton who will thrive if we turn Villa Park toxic.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get there is a lot of anger and frustration with the manager.. I just really hope it doesn’t creep in to the ground already. We really need to get behind the team. 

If we play like we did at the weekend against Everton, it will.

He'd better come up with something special in training this weekend, because frankly, he's on thin ice.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You can hide posts mate 😄 

From the dots in the corner.

Any positive performances under SG were a hell of a long time ago, the momentum has been decline/downward and it is very worrying… we’ve barely won any games…

Man City in the last game of the season was pretty spot on for 70ish minutes.

• Like 1

Â