Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Pre match presser summary from BBC has the usual lack of insight. Other than confirming Ezri is out for around 4 months even though its not an ACL.

Does seem to imply we might be rotating though which I like the sound of:

We’ve been more than fair with the opportunities we’ve given people, and we've tried to look at everyone. We’ll do the same over the next two games to put sides out that are capable of getting points.”

But the first part of that quote is just a lie. He has not been fair on Buendia, and I'd argue not been fair on Traoré, Sanson, or anyone else that could have played at some point instead of McGinn recently.

I don't know what goes on in training,  so maybe they aren't showing enough to warrant a chance.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

If SG cannot motivate this team for the next 2 massively pivotal games for both top and bottom of the league, then it's a long way back for me.

The Man City one shouldn't be a problem😃

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Pre match presser summary from BBC has the usual lack of insight. Other than confirming Ezri is out for around 4 months even though its not an ACL.

Does seem to imply we might be rotating though which I like the sound of:

But the first part of that quote is just a lie. He has not been fair on Buendia, and I'd argue not been fair on Traoré, Sanson, or anyone else that could have played at some point instead of McGinn recently.

I don't know what goes on in training,  so maybe they aren't showing enough to warrant a chance.

Do you see the players in training? You don't as you say so you have no idea who deserves how much game time. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

If SG cannot motivate this team for the next 2 massively pivotal games for both top and bottom of the league, then it's a long way back for me.

Seriously judging him on too meaningless games for us against teams that are playing to win the league and stay in the league. Yes you can motivate players but let’s be realistic. There’s no chance our player will be up for it as much as Burnley and City. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seriously judging him on too meaningless games for us against teams that are playing to win the league and stay in the league. Yes you can motivate players but let’s be realistic. There’s no chance our player will be up for it as much as Burnley and City. 

We should be trying to stay injury free and blood a couple youngsters. Don't care much about the result. Won our last 2 under Dean which helped zero going into next season. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not to mention we've got to play away 3 days after the Burnley game to Man City. We've only 2 fit CBs too. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Meaningless? Yes it’s not the title or relegation but finishing 11th rather than 14th is a big deal.  Not only extra coinage but to finish the season on a high, to look like we are midtable not bottom half, finishing 11th again shows consolidation but 14th perception wise looks to have gone backwards a bit and also perception wise higher in the league and how it looks to potential buys.

31 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Meaningless? Yes it’s not the title or relegation but finishing 11th rather than 14th is a big deal.  Not only extra coinage but to finish the season on a high, to look like we are midtable not bottom half, finishing 11th again shows consolidation but 14th perception wise looks to have gone backwards a bit and also perception wise higher in the league and how it looks to potential buys.

Ok maybe meaningless the wrong word but it’s hardly two games to make it a ‘long way back for Gerrard’.  In my opinion of course. 

I keep hearing about the Gerrard pull factor... Do we think that this pull is world's away from the pull of Lampard? Or Vieira? The latter obviously has pull domestically as well as in France etc. I've always felt a bit uncomfortable with the idea players would be wowed by playing for a coach who's reputation is largely as a player, and think this is perhaps over hyped here and elsewhere... 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok maybe meaningless the wrong word but it’s hardly two games to make it a ‘long way back for Gerrard’.  In my opinion of course. 

I agree re ‘long way back for Gerrard’ comment but I think they are important for Gerrard and Lange’s summer business.  Obviously not a deciding factor but will be taken into account somewhat.  I think 11th is a big deal, beating Burnley gives us a chance to get there.  Getting points from City will be a long shot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

I keep hearing about the Gerrard pull factor... Do we think that this pull is world's away from the pull of Lampard? Or Vieira? The latter obviously has pull domestically as well as in France etc. I've always felt a bit uncomfortable with the idea players would be wowed by playing for a coach who's reputation is largely as a player, and think this is perhaps over hyped here and elsewhere... 

I think it’s over hyped.  I think players he’s played with be keen to join and maybe one or two Gerrard fans as kids but I think somebody would more likely (other a small portion of players) would choose say Rodgers over Gerrard because of his Rodgers managerial resume than Gerrard’s playing resume.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dale said:

I'm a firm believer in the pull factor of money over manager myself.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s over hyped.  I think players he’s played with be keen to join and maybe one or two Gerrard fans as kids but I think somebody would more likely (other a small portion of players) would choose say Rodgers over Gerrard because of his Rodgers managerial resume than Gerrard’s playing resume.

That's my take too... There's a multitude of good coaches about, that have their positives and negatives. I think until he's got a record of developing people it's riskier a proposition to join villa now than it was last year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AvonVillain said:

No one could motivate players in the last games, it'll be down to them, if they feel there is something to play for, or are they on the beach already.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No one could motivate players in the last games, it'll be down to them, if they feel there is something to play for, or are they on the beach already.

Then that will be valuable information for SG. We'll know those who are ambitious, and those who aren't. The ones who aren't will be bombed out due to lack of character. Say what you want about Stevie, he's never come across as anything other than ambitious, and as Fergie used to say, the team reflects the manager.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Then that will be valuable information for SG. We'll know those who are ambitious, and those who aren't. The ones who aren't will be bombed out due to lack of character. Say what you want about Stevie, he's never come across as anything other than ambitious, and as Fergie used to say, the team reflects the manager.

He want's the Liverpool job, so he has gotta be a success here, no disrespect for that!

Â