Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, AV82 said:

You just named 7 quality players and I'd argue Douglas and McGinn at least are more than capable as squad players in a side challenging for Europe. That's 9.... of 11.

I thought I was being pretty generous with some of my 7. Douglas Luiz and McGinn absolutely are not capable of playing for a European side in my opinion. In any event, if you have 7 European quality players, that doesn’t get you Europe, it gets you mid table. We are just about where we should be (arguably we should be a bit higher, but not by much). 

Edit: and if we are “8th under just Gerrard” I wouldn’t argue he should do any better with what he has. My concern under Gerrard is just a lack of cutting edge and a bit of imbalance, which I’ll let him rectify this window.

Edited by Spoony

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

23 points in the last 20 games, maybe 23 points from 21 games by Sunday night is poor!

Poor or WIP in a tight league this year and considering from our starting point ? it’s not been stellar but also not a disaster - fine margins we’d be 9th 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

How do you know mate? I don’t know and I live in Birmingham and I’m at the games.  You’re in Doha and I can’t imagine there are many Villa fans there.  

Most Villa fans I know at the ground or friends, family and colleagues who are Villa fans are disappointed with season, feel it’s been poor and either unsure on Gerrard or meh on Gerrard.  One or two are positive re Gerrard but some think he’s taking us nowhere.  I don’t know if this is a reflection of Villa fans across the board and I know loads of Villa fans, so even I can’t say you are wrong or right? Just wondering why you think that?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This tbh.

Smith and Gerrard have both been incredibly inconsistent leaning towards poor. I feel both coaches/managers have simply not got the best out of the high quality players they have been given. Both I will credit for helping JJ tho.

14th is a step backwards, Grealish cant be the excuse, he was never prime Messi and has hardly lit the world alight at Man City.  

I really do like both of them but Smith and Gerrard both get a C- from me. Excited for the transfer window and next season though.

I'm leaning toward agreeing with Nick.

However I find it bizarre that he can be solely blamed for us placing " 14th " when he came in with us on 10 points , from 11 games, in 16th?

I more understand judging performances, playing styles and results, but surely people must see why simply saying " He's finished 14th " is a false narrative?

He started with a handicap

I too, am dissappointed with our placing, but I'm trying to look forward to next season.

Whisper this quietly, but I also still hold out hope for a shock result against City, because as a fan, what would be the point of following otherwise? Imo

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The table above which shows the League placing since he's been here, seems to suggest that's probably inaccurate.

I mean, as it's fact based and not hyperbole based?

Tony Pulis had Stoke about 8th and Sam had Bolton 6th. Doesn't mean its sustainable when play crap and get some results. I have seen nothing from performances i didn't see from Steve Bruce 

Today we were home to Burnley not away to Chelsea or United 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Poor or WIP in a tight league this year and considering from our starting point ? it’s not been stellar but also not a disaster - fine margins we’d be 9th 

Obviously poor!  Can’t imagine the owners or even Gerrard that just over 1 PPG over the last 20-21 games is anything but poor given our investment and quality in our squad.  

People can talk about the poor start but we still had 27 games to improve it.  We had a great six games getting 12 points but then it’s gone back to being poor!  So 11 games 10 points, the 6 games 12 points and then 20 games with 23 points (potentially 21 games).  

It’s been poor!  

It’s not a disaster because we didn’t get relegated but 14th, currently 45 points, the amount of defeats, the stunning poor home form…it’s not far shy of being a disaster.  This excludes the fact that it’s not being attractive football to watch on the whole this season but that is a subjective opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

How do you know mate? I don’t know and I live in Birmingham and I’m at the games.  You’re in Doha and I can’t imagine there are many Villa fans there.  

Most Villa fans I know at the ground or friends, family and colleagues who are Villa fans are disappointed with season, feel it’s been poor and either unsure on Gerrard or meh on Gerrard.  One or two are positive re Gerrard but some think he’s taking us nowhere.  I don’t know if this is a reflection of Villa fans across the board and I know loads of Villa fans, so even I can’t say you are wrong or right? Just wondering why you think that?

If you read my post before your response, I did say I was leaning toward agreeing with you, with regards to the season overall.

Just now, nick76 said:

Obviously poor!  Can’t imagine the owners or even Gerrard that just over 1 PPG over the last 20-21 games is anything but poor given our investment and quality in our squad.  

People can talk about the poor start but we still had 27 games to improve it.  We had a great six games getting 12 points but then it’s gone back to being poor!  So 11 games 10 points, the 6 games 12 points and then 20 games with 23 points (potentially 21 games).  

It’s been poor!  

It’s not a disaster because we didn’t get relegated but 14th, currently 45 points, the amount of defeats, the stunning poor home form…it’s not far shy of being a disaster.  This excludes the fact that it’s not being attractive football to watch on the whole this season but that is a subjective opinion.

Completely this plus the losses have been very weak. The Arsenal loss was an embarrassment of not trying, Spurs played ok and lost 4-0

Luckily Gerrard doesn't accept excuses which bizarrely he gets from his supporters on here

He wasn’t my first choice - I’d have preferred Alonso at the time if being honest but I can see glimpses of a great manager in the making whom is young and still learning (May just be the years of media training)… His remit is to progress and build on the foundations of his predecessor… Too early to judge IMO whether he will long term but don’t know how some can write him off either at this juncture. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

I want more.

I want to see better players and I want us to be competitive in all of the games we play. I want to see a proper style of football. I want to see the players all fighting for each other and for every point that is up for grabs. I want us to be hard to beat and I want other teams to have to worry about playing against us. 

In some ways, I think SG can give us that. He needs to have a few windows to bring in some players, but at the same time he needs to realise that playing transfer windows alone isn’t going to get us to where we want to be. The coaching MUST be on point. The players MUST be motivated and up for the challenge. 

Good Luck 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

And with 3 more points they would all be top 10 players.

Teams placed 7-10 are full of shit players. Most teams are shit and we should appreciate that.

Well I think we’ve both made arguments against our own points then! I just think we are about where we should be with what we have, and we would be higher discounting the poor period under Smith. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

IMG-20220519-WA0008.jpg

Tonight...

I'm the one in the floral blouse...

Cool, great to see Villa fans around the world.  I know when I lived in Sydney, the Villa fans there.  I met more when Dwight Yorke played for Sydney FC.

Anyway my point still holds about knowing what the large majority of the Villa base are thinking.  I guess we’ll never know at this stage but I don’t interact with many positive at the moment.  Most who actually go to the games are renewing based on loyalty and hopes on signings than anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He wasn’t my first choice - I’d have preferred Alonso at the time if being honest but I can see glimpses of a great manager in the making whom is young and still learning (May just be the years of media training)… His remit is to progress and build on the foundations of his predecessor… Too early to judge IMO whether he will long term but don’t know how some can write him off either at this juncture. 

I’m not writing him off, just concerned he’s not getting enough out the current squad even in the early days.  We’ll add some players to this group but his job is to get the most of the players and I’m not seeing that. That’s my concern. I’m not writing him off, just concerned.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

Are you really trying to defend someone by using the presidency of Donald Trump as an example of things working out? 😂😂😂

'Don't worry guys, he could turn out to be just like the worst president of all time' 😂😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Luckily Gerrard doesn't accept excuses which bizarrely he gets from his supporters on here

Do you realise how weird the language is here, and how bad it looks? " His supporters ". You mean fans supporting the club we are all meant to be supporters of?

People are actually angry that people aren't on the bite off nose to spite face bandwagon where we trash the new manager constantly and as a biproduct the club.

You make it sound like some sort of far right organisation.

It seems the language gets more and more extreme each time which does more to expose the posters agendas, than " His supporters "

• Like 2

At the end of the day it falls on the manager and games like tonight we have no excuses plenty of quality in that team yet we continue to fail for reasons.There a sides above us that didnt even spend $$$$ quarter of what we did.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Are you really trying to defend someone by using the presidency of Donald Trump as an example of things working out? 😂😂😂

'Don't worry guys, he could turn out to be just like the worst president of all time' 😂😂

Yeah I was going to say the same thing but thought it took it off topic too much but Trump was a disaster for America and they are still suffering the impacts today.  Yes no WW3 but everything else he’s done will have detrimental ramifications for decades.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Cool, great to see Villa fans around the world.  I know when I lived in Sydney, the Villa fans there.  I met more when Dwight Yorke played for Sydney FC.

Anyway my point still holds about knowing what the large majority of the Villa base are thinking.  I guess we’ll never know at this stage but I don’t interact with many positive at the moment.  Most who actually go to the games are renewing based on loyalty and hopes on signings than anything else.

I actually wasn't claiming to know what they are thinking mate. If you re read, I was basically trying to suggest that maybe a large part of the doom and gloom could be down to mindset from the beginning.

Which filters through the fan base both online and in the stadium etc as obviously that's where the fans end up.

I'm sure you know about the clichés of negative and positive thinking etc  Whereas the attitude you approach certain things with can eventually cloud your judgement towards it all 

Don't get me wrong there are 1 or 2 here in Doha who aren't into Gerrard either, but guess what, under the surface, they'll admit that they are still bitter about losing Deano. 🤷🏿‍♀️

Â