Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

For a former midfielder and supposed premier league great he really has no idea how to set up the midfield. 

And I mean if that isn't ringing huge alarm bells for any Villa fan then I don't know what else would. 

Tbf, I wouldn't have said he was an intelligent player, so doesn't surprise me.

Do we really want to trust Gerrard with a summer rebuild? Last thing we want is 29/30 year old jobbers coming in for a last payday to play under slippy G. He want winners to come. which yes on paper sounds good but they wont come cheap and there is little resale value. Think we need to use the youth we have, we have some good talent coming through. i honestly dont think the owners will be providing a huge budget next season. If i owned the club i would be getting a bit fed up of seeing my money getting flushed down the toilet! 

We spent 100M On our summer signings, not really worked out..

Buendia has talent, bit rough around the edges i think he will come good.

Bailey i dont think has worked and i fully expect him to move on in the summer, probably back to Germany for a loss on what we paid. He has had injuries and this has disrupted his season but i dont think it is going to work, his dad will be already looking at his next club.

Ings, you dont become a poor player overnight, something is not right but  we will not recoup our money on him, would be a loss again. May as well keep him!

Think we will need to move players on in the summer and this will provide the budget with some cash injection from the owners. So do we stick or twist??!! 

Personally i think it will be a disaster to give Gerrard the job to rebuild. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Do we really want to trust Gerrard with a summer rebuild? Last thing we want is 29/30 year old jobbers coming in for a last payday to play under slippy G. He want winners to come. which yes on paper sounds good but they wont come cheap and there is little resale value. Think we need to use the youth we have, we have some good talent coming through. i honestly dont think the owners will be providing a huge budget next season. If i owned the club i would be getting a bit fed up of seeing my money getting flushed down the toilet! 

We spent 100M On our summer signings, not really worked out..

Buendia has talent, bit rough around the edges i think he will come good.

Bailey i dont think has worked and i fully expect him to move on in the summer, probably back to Germany for a loss on what we paid. He has had injuries and this has disrupted his season but i dont think it is going to work, his dad will be already looking at his next club.

Ings, you dont become a poor player overnight, something is not right but  we will not recoup our money on him, would be a loss again. May as well keep him!

Think we will need to move players on in the summer and this will provide the budget with some cash injection from the owners. So do we stick or twist??!! 

Personally i think it will be a disaster to give Gerrard the job to rebuild. 

Agree with all of this and on your point about him wanting 'winners', as a player, he got the likes of djimi traore etc al to win the champs league in 2005 as captain, instilling that mentality, but he can't do it with this squad??

Whatever your opinion is on Gerrard, I don't understand why people are concerned how he would spend money. He has massive clout and all sort of contacts in the game. He would be able to attract better players than virtually any manager we could appoint.

We couldnt have asked for much more than his three signings in the window so he's got credit in the bank too.

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Whatever your opinion is on Gerrard, I don't understand why people are concerned how he would spend money. He has massive clout and all sort of contacts in the game. He would be able to attract better players than virtually any manager we could appoint.

We couldnt have asked for much more than his three signings in the window so he's got credit in the bank too.

And you don't think any other manager would be able to attract Bisouma and Joe Gomez ?

Sure he got PC in on loan - but that's very much a one off - and as it stands is only a loan.

13 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Right?! People are losing their minds because dumb journos make dumb links to Liverpool players. It’s very clear that they don’t know anything about our transfer plans. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

And you don't think any other manager would be able to attract Bisouma and Joe Gomez ?

Sure he got PC in on loan - but that's very much a one off - and as it stands is only a loan.

Where did I say that?

How do you know its a one off? He might go for Suarez in the summer. Loan or not, he signed Coutinho and he was the only reason why we got him.

As I said, love Gerrard or hate him, there is no reason to think he would be bad at spending money other than premeditated hatred of him, which you have.

One things for sure, Gerrard wont be signing a bunch of no name trash like what got us relegated in 2015 and he also wont buy overpriced Championship players either. Everyone makes fun of "born winner" stuff on here but this is where that comes into force because Gerrard wont want to compete, he will want to win and if he cant for whatever reason, he will leave or retire as manager. Similar to Roy Keane really.

1 minute ago, R.Bear said:

Where did I say that?

How do you know its a one off? He might go for Suarez in the summer. Loan or not, he signed Coutinho and he was the only reason why we got him.

As I said, love Gerrard or hate him, there is no reason to think he would be bad at spending money other than premeditated hatred of him, which you have.

One things for sure, Gerrard wont be signing a bunch of no name trash like what got us relegated in 2015 and he also wont buy overpriced Championship players either. Everyone makes fun of "born winner" stuff on here but this is where that comes into force because Gerrard wont want to compete, he will want to win and if he cant for whatever reason, he will leave or retire as manager. Similar to Roy Keane really.

You said he would able be able to attract players "better than virtually any other manager we could appoint"

I disagree. 

I think us tumbling down the table and racking up defeats would nullify any perceived pulling power of SG.

I really wouldn't want Suarez anyway. I'm surprised your plugging that as point in his favour 

Gerrard was an outstanding midfielder, I'm confident that he knows what he wants and how to make it effective. However, if he thinks any of what we already have are good enough he will be in the crapper. JJ aside, I'd have no issue with him shipping the lot, McGinn is inconsistent but max effort most of the time. Luiz has no intensity and would suit a different league better. We HAVE to be in the market for considerable upgrades, I still believe he/we can attract them, not elite level but definitely better then what we have.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hippo said:

You keep saying this balance thing 

Even if true - is it not possible to improve the balance - even if it can't be completely resolved ?

To me Ings + Watkins doesn't look a balance.

Sanson could bring DM tackling to the midfield 

We could use some midfielders for width - thus letting the full backs concentrate on defending.

We've got a highly promising DM in ibregham.

I can't believe a guy recruited on a £4m a year salary can get a free pass and say there is absolutely nothing he can do about the balance without £100m in the transfer market......when that's done it will be something else.

• Because I believe it to be the case.... but that imbalance, then spreads to so many other by products of flaws.
  • Evidently not.....We have just played 4 teams above us, why should we feel we can bridge that gap with players we haven't got to bridge it....we have players who primarliy harbour the same attributes....who is our midfield general,? like most decent teams have in this league?
  • Ings and Watkins can't score, simple as.....thay had good chances on saturday and Ings never even connected properly with 2 ....how is that the managers fault.
  • Sanson , can't bring DM tackling to the midfield....its not in his DNA
  • We have just bought a full back with a reputation for attacking, on the surface I don't know why, unless its to fit in with what SG has planned, thats the only rationale, I can presume.
  • Tim is a work in progress, youth academy player.....while he is the type of player we need, he is still an apprentice, in status.....He has to be free to develop and not bring in to a losing team.

I don't think he is getting a free pass, but that is quite different from having a squad, he is having problems in reconciling......He has to be given more time, and tools to do the job.

Like other fans, I have a real cringe, every time we enter the transfer market, because my doubts about our ability to sign right surface very quickly.

We have spent all of Jacks money on players, who have not, shown any signs of being an upgrade......We continue to pass over, defensive reinforcements in favour of offensive types and Still, we can't score goals with any regularity.

I still think our defending is having a knock on effect to our goal scoring, now that might see preposterous, but I believe it to be true.....These easy to score goals, we concede has wrecked the confidence of this team, and I believe it has knocked on to the attack....I know its catch 22 what comes first the chicken or the egg.......for me the first hurdle is, you have to make it difficult for the opposition and we certainly don't, we are actually benevolent.......Houses are built from the bottom up, we would do well to take heed.

This issue has been with us for some time, if we care to look hard enough.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Only daft players that think good players make a good manager.

He will be a more attractive proposition than a "no-name" like Smith though, yes.

Coutinho, Digne and links to Gomez and Bissouma give me horrible MON vibes. Paying absolutely top whack for little return and underachieving on the pitch overall.

47 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm not sure that's true. I think players he knows like Coutinho will give us an edge but overall our owners and ambition will allow us to sign big names. 

We beat arsenal to sign Buendia. No one had Ings down to sign for a club like us and whilst he hasn't worked out yet, Bailey was a big name. 

10 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Zidane, Guardiola, Simeone, Luis Enrique, Xavi...

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Ancelotti, Conte, Inzaghi, Mancini, Cruyff...

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Frank Lampard, Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Gianfranco Zola😉

Completely pointless argument.  Some good players make good managers, some don't.  Some bad players make good manager, some don't.

• Like 4

Â