Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

13 hours ago, hippo said:

I'd say recent results at Aston Villa are speaking volumes about Stevie Gs coaching ability at PL level right now.

Nothing else matters.

Of course it does, because that suits your narrative. You have no other way to measure performance than the outcome of games.

Win good, lose bad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Closely watched the Rangers v Dortmund match.  Looks very similar to our setup. Front 3 behind the striker are very central.  Tavernier at RB was almost always the 2nd or 3rd highest attackers. his goal in the 2nd half he was at the back post level with the striker.  Didn't notice the LB pushed up as far.

The one major difference was the tempo. Rangers are very fit. Very impressive there. That level of fitness doesn't happen over night or even over a couple months. You need a full preseason and probably a couple more months of in season training to get there. 

No way can you install that level of fitness over a short winter break. I feel a bit better about what Steven is trying to do here but I just think it's to much too soon. The level of running needed for this system just isn't possible without intense physical training and 5 subs wouldn't hurt either tbh. 

I think you are getting warmer, to part of the problem....we are not very mobile, to say the least....off the ball, we are lucky if we semi press.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Of course it does, because that suits your narrative. You have no other way to measure performance than the outcome of games.

Win good, lose bad.

But people can accept losing if they see something developing. We were pathetic in our last 2 losses to bottom 3 teams 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But people can accept losing if they see something developing. We were pathetic in our last 2 losses to bottom 3 teams 

Newcastle was a poor performance but they are better than Watford and it could hav ended 1-1. Watford there was no excuse. Cant be losing to them. 

3 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Unpopular opinion warning:  he has been a poor appointment. If Burnley win their game in hand on us we're 5 points above the relegation zone, with most of the on paper "easy" games wasted. This is unfathomable for a team that regularly has 3-4 £20m+ players sitting on the bench  

Tactically he is stubborn, repeating the same tired lineups, formations and lacking any game management nouse. The 3 points thrown away to trash like Leeds from not being able to hold a two-goal lead was horrendous, the Newcastle game was the worst performance I've seen since we've been back in the PL. 

Our defence was problematic before he joined but we look completely toothless going forward. With Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, McGinn etc, we barely created a chance against two of the worst teams in the league, one of which is definitely dropping this season. 

Digne feels unnecessary (a slight improvement on Targett overall, better going forward, suspect defensively), but failed to recruit that defensive midfielder we obviously need. I've not been impressed with Chambers - is he meant to be a backup or a starter? 

We will *probably* survive, but the fact we are looking over our shoulders, in the position the owners have put us in, is unacceptable. We'll likely lose to Brighton, if other results don't go our way it's time to be really concerned. 

I think it's just too early to say. Agree that signing Digne was odd though. Noises over Suarez are also worrying about this new non-direction.

• Like 1

I know recent results have been worrying and indeed rolling out the same hogwash at press conferences concerning reaction in training to the latest defeat but I feel it’s still a little early to judge him.

However, if performances continue to nose dive and Villa continue to slide towards relegation places then I don’t think Villa’s owners will hesitate in replacing him.

Edited by striker

13 hours ago, QldVilla said:

Win good, lose bad.

Correct. 

Football is a simple game. In general with 1 win in 8 you aren't playing well.

Edited by hippo

36 minutes ago, striker said:

I know recent results have been worrying and indeed rolling out the same hogwash at press conferences concerning reaction in training to the latest defeat but I feel it’s still a little early to judge him.

However, if performances continue to nose dive and Villa continue to slide towards relegation places then I don’t think Villa’s owners will hesitate in replacing him.

Its more the performances than results though that are poor. People can accept losses in transition phase but you have to show something of progress 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

35.7 win record, same as Sherwood with better players

That will change todsy, hopefully for the better 

But are they....I have read this many times....two managers now and still the same mistakes.

Yes...both Smith and Gerrard have made mistakes but its with the same players.

I think we need to realise that just because we have spent money doesn't mean these players are actually that good.

Yes we will have good spells in games...even poor teams do but I'm sorry to say....some of these players are not as good as we think they are

5 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Unpopular opinion warning:  he has been a poor appointment. If Burnley win their game in hand on us we're 5 points above the relegation zone, with most of the on paper "easy" games wasted. This is unfathomable for a team that regularly has 3-4 £20m+ players sitting on the bench  

Tactically he is stubborn, repeating the same tired lineups, formations and lacking any game management nouse. The 3 points thrown away to trash like Leeds from not being able to hold a two-goal lead was horrendous, the Newcastle game was the worst performance I've seen since we've been back in the PL. 

Our defence was problematic before he joined but we look completely toothless going forward. With Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, Buendia, Ramsey, McGinn etc, we barely created a chance against two of the worst teams in the league, one of which is definitely dropping this season. 

Digne feels unnecessary (a slight improvement on Targett overall, better going forward, suspect defensively), but failed to recruit that defensive midfielder we obviously need. I've not been impressed with Chambers - is he meant to be a backup or a starter? 

We will *probably* survive, but the fact we are looking over our shoulders, in the position the owners have put us in, is unacceptable. We'll likely lose to Brighton, if other results don't go our way it's time to be really concerned. 

I think Southampton being 8 points clear of us speaks volumes. I'm still not too concerned about being in relegation battle currently when I'm watching Leeds (who aren't even in bottom ) shipping endless goals. However it's the likes of Southampton and Wolves moving miles clear of us since middle of Jan that shouldn't be anywhere near acceptable.

With the fixtures we've had we should be on 34-35 points now and looking to catch team in 7th or 8th if they hit a poor run like West Ham probably will do.

Instead season is over in a funny way if we win today.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaddytheVillan said:

Its a premature statement, IMO

The results and performances are hard to defend granted, but in terms of personnel, its still the previous managers players.

Coutinho has hardly been a contribution to our poor play, while Digne, was arguably an unnecessary signing.

Its fair to say, baring a good manager bounce....The issues that have been prevalent during a poor 2021 calendar year ,are still in evidence.

I honestly thought SG could impose his personality and change it.....but I am beginning to think he can't and I don't think Pep could.....we are a collection of individual players, that can't play as a team...too many want to do the same job...thus leaving essential jobs abandoned.

I still believe in SG, but the squad needs surgery....and we all know, until the Summer we are snookered.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would snap your hand off for 11th again.

It's o.k ish....but big pressure on Gerrard going into next season if he can't even lift us to 10th having got us into that position mid season, good transfer window (on paper) mid season and bar Nakamba no major injuries to key players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you are getting warmer, to part of the problem....we are not very mobile, to say the least....off the ball, we are lucky if we semi press.

I agree with that....we can never really cope much with Leeds going 100mph and they're one of worst teams in league now.

Our ideal opponent so far under Gerrard has been a team that isn't great at pressing but still remembers to attack which leaves us space to work with e.g. Palace, Man. United and Everton.

Leicester is probably our best win under Gerrrard so far and even then we were outplayed first half and lucky not to concede more than once.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a premature statement, IMO

The results and performances are hard to defend granted, but in terms of personnel, its still the previous managers players.

Coutinho has hardly been a contribution to our poor play, while Digne, was arguably an unnecessary signing.

Its fair to say, baring a good manager bounce....The issues that have been prevalent during a poor 2021 calendar year ,are still in evidence.

I honestly thought SG could impose his personality and change it.....but I am beginning to think he can't and I don't think Pep could.....we are a collection of individual players, that can't play as a team...too many want to do the same job...thus leaving essential jobs abandoned.

I still believe in SG, but the squad needs surgery....and we all know, until the Summer we are snookered.

But do you seriously trust Stevie G to do the surgery ?

Countinho - on a massive salary has been spasmodic - Digne little if any better than target.  

I don't agree totally about the players - but even so when the performance of pretty much of the whole squad nosedives - you've got issues.

I thought trusting a rookie with a premier League rebuild was  consigned to the Tom Fox era. It will be staggering if a much more competent owners / plough on with project Gerrard.

Â