Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Sorry, did David Moyes manage in Scotland? Trust you to leap to the defence of inarguably incorrect 'facts'.

I admit I'm wrong on a daily basis, it's part of growing and improving as a person.

It doesn't ring any bells? Is it something Andy Gray did when he was making dinner?

Thats funny mate....I couldn't resist it, sorry.

Andy ate out, curries after a good session.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just saw THAT Conte interview.

Shows you just how difficult the job is these days.

The bloke seems proper sad. lol

Almost TOO honest.

I don't see the big deal. Enough to make a headline, sure. The media love a catastrophe and to overhype what's happening among the bigger clubs.

From where I sit the bloke has just admitted to us all that expectations are far from being met and that a review will take place and decisions will be made regarding his position, despite the fact he is working relentlessly to try and get the best for Spurs. 

Was hardly going to be any different no matter what he comes out to say to the press.

He seems like a genuine signore. Nothing wrong with honesty, especially when admitting fault. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

People keep banging on about this DM but it's not the problem right now. In our last 3 we are averaging 2 shots on target with an xG total under 3. We aren't nearly creating enough. No where close. 

As a know nothing fan of the game I think our lack creativity has a lot to do with Steven asking two defenders to be the main fulcrum of our attack but what do I know. 

Yes there is a lack of creativity when teams sit back against us. I think we move the ball far too slowly. We are vunerable to the counter attack because the fullbacks are upfield leaving Luiz to shield the defence which he isnt any good at. We need a solid base to start and we have creative players like Coutinho and Buendia but the strikers arent scoring either. Yes the system needs tweeking but we signed Digne as hes a creative attacking fullback. 

Coutinho and Buendia are quite similar, neither play out wide. Its quite a dilemma but mayybe one of these could/ should be sacrificed in order to get some width, Bailey could link up well with Digne. And either Coutinho or Buendia on the right. 

We haven't played very well offensively with Coutinho and Buendia starting, Leeds are giving away goals for free ATM. 

Defence..... we could start with 3 at the back Konsa, Chambers and Ming's. Allowing the full backs more freedom without 2 midfielders being drawn back to defend ( so much) . 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just saw THAT Conte interview.

Shows you just how difficult the job is these days.

The bloke seems proper sad. lol

Almost TOO honest.

Well if he leaves Spurs and becomes available I would part with the 15 million (graphic on a previoius page) a year to bring him here. Sell him the project.

I can see Wes convincing him now - "Come on Antonio. You know you want to. We'll even top up the hair implants. What? You think that Mr. Puslow's hair is 100% real? No chance!"

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, tinker said:

Coutinho and Buendia are quite similar, neither play out wide. Its quite a dilemma but mayybe one of these could/ should be sacrificed in order to get some width, Bailey could link up well with Digne. And either Coutinho or Buendia on the right. 

We haven't played very well offensively with Coutinho and Buendia starting, Leeds are giving away goals for free ATM. 

Defence..... we could start with 3 at the back Konsa, Chambers and Ming's. Allowing the full backs more freedom without 2 midfielders being drawn back to defend ( so much) . 

We could also play mings, hause, chambers and konsa as a back four away from home and tighten up.......or play chambers as a no 6.....that leaves 5 players to play the offensive role, isn't that enough?

If we play 2 full backs as wing backs and they don't attack, we end up with them doing nothing in terms of effectiveness.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We could also play mings, hause, chambers and konsa as a back four away from home and tighten up.......or play chambers as a no 6.....that leaves 5 players to play the offensive role, isn't that enough?

McLeish is that you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

McLeish is that you?

you can do better than that?

so is 5 offensive players not enough?....is that what you are saying?

These teams, don't just lie down and have their belly tickled.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we play 2 full backs as wing backs and they don't attack, we end up with them doing nothing in terms of effectiveness.

We could but I don't see why Chambers gets the 6 role, he could push up from a back 3 when the time allows, if we are under pressure then the full backs can pull back and the midfield can sit in front of the defense.

We don't want to sacrifice our midfield for to many defenders , it's weak enough without dropping numbers . 

I would like to see Sansom given a chance with Doug or McGinn giving way, Probably McGinn tbh.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

you can do better than that?

so is 5 offensive players not enough?....is that what you are saying?

These teams, don't just lie down and have their belly tickled.

No it's not. In the modern game you attack and defend as a unit. 5 attackers can not break down a team that defends with 10 as a low block. Conversely most CBs aren't physically capable of marking quick, wide attackers. 

Steven's main issue is his system is not generating enough scoring opportunities to justify the risk it takes by radically changing our defensive shape. It doesn't matter who we place at the FB positions if we have them so far forward. It's the shape not the personnel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

No it's not. In the modern game you attack and defend as a unit. 5 attackers can not break down a team that defends with 10 as a low block. Conversely most CBs aren't physically capable of marking quick, wide attackers. 

Steven's main issue is his system is not generating enough scoring opportunities to justify the risk it takes by radically changing our defensive shape. It doesn't matter who we place at the FB positions if we have them so far forward. It's the shape not the personnel. 

Its both.

are you saying, you can play 11 players with No defensive nous, as long as they are played in defensive positions?.....and vice versa.

of course all players have to do both, in the better teams,particulaarly, but they have a natural nose for one or the other....the better players have both.....playing 11 attackers or 11 defenders is as bad as the other..exaggerated to highlight the point.

What do you mean? most CB's are not capable of stopping quick , wide attackers......are you including Van Dyck and Thiago Silva?.....I think that is wide of the mark, quite frankly.

When you enter a field of play, you have 2 very basic briefs, amongst many.....help us hurt them or help us stop them hurting us.....now that is as fundamental as I can get it.....if you do neither, you are passive or non descript, or a passenger.

If too many are deployed to attack or defence too often in a game, there will be consequences.

I do understand your point about the full backs too far forward, but we have had systems where they wasn't and the similar issues, still remained.....can you explain that.

We all us our powers of deduction, but it doesn't always work out in singular analysis.....This problem we have is a combination of faults.

Edited by TRO

26 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Well if you play more, you are wide open to the counter, its a strategic gamble, always is, always has been......Then its down to winning your battles against your opposite number, thats when the tide turns and the initiative won.

It comes back to the same place.....The better players can do both, limited players are limited and struggle to do both....but if you buy the wrong players, or inadequate quality, the system, can't always save you.

In the game years ago, you attacked and defended as a unit, its not just the modern, game.

Its an old chesnut, do you overload the attack or the defence, both will have consequences....its getting the balance right and morphing in transition....that comes back to players as well as systems.

Why do all the teams in the league have varying systems?.....if one was right, they would all play it?

40 minutes ago, tinker said:

We could but I don't see why Chambers gets the 6 role, he could push up from a back 3 when the time allows, if we are under pressure then the full backs can pull back and the midfield can sit in front of the defense.

We don't want to sacrifice our midfield for to many defenders , it's weak enough without dropping numbers . 

I would like to see Sansom given a chance with Doug or McGinn giving way, Probably McGinn tbh.

There are many permutations to consider.....but until we get more rounded players, they all have their downsides, as well as their upsides.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Conte has always seemed stressed out. 

Be interesting to see how Gerrard reacts to the pressure now fans are starting to turn. 

Gerrard i think is too media savvy to get into a petty feud with the fans

Conte on the other hand does this tactic regularly, he spent  2 years moaning about the Inter board and fans eat it up especially when Levy is under pressure. He wouldn't get away woth it at Villa as we have popular owners

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Conte has always seemed stressed out. 

Be interesting to see how Gerrard reacts to the pressure now fans are starting to turn. 

I think fans are getting fed up of losing to questionable opposition, sure.....turning, not so sure about that.

we won 15 games out of 42 in the last calendar year......This is not a walk in the park, fix.

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Well if he leaves Spurs and becomes available I would part with the 15 million (graphic on a previoius page) a year to bring him here. Sell him the project.

I can see Wes convincing him now - "Come on Antonio. You know you want to. We'll even top up the hair implants. What? You think that Mr. Puslow's hair is 100% real? No chance!"

To me, a move for Conte would be an even bigger " mercenary " move than some already think SG is IMO.

I'd prefer a youngish - mid career Manager with a high ceiling, who can grow with the club, and develop genuine affinity for it.

Although, we've got a worse squad than Spurs, and aren't in London, Manchester, or Newcastle, so there is less than zero chance it would happen anyway.

More of a Newcastle type signing

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â