Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Under Gerrard we are averaging about 1.2 points per game, Smith got sacked for getting about 0.9 this season. Neither is anywhere close to good enough.

Fwiw Smith is averaging just over 1.1 ppg at Norwich.

Don't buy that the squad is not capable of better than this. It's not perfect but that goes for at least 16-17 other squads as well in the PL.

We are averaging 1.3 points per game under Gerrard

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Has anyone got a points target that they’d like to see met to give them some reassurance for next season? Obviously performances need to improve as well, but I would hope/assume with an upturn in results, performances would also have improved.

Fourteen games left. I have it in my head another 18 points would take us to 45 points total and not look too bad. 

I think that’s a reasonable ask, something around 45 I’d be ok with. Not completely 100% convinced, but reassured enough. I think.

Given how abject our performances are currently and SG trying to get us playing his Xmas tree set up, which I believe puts the wrong players in the wrong places and leaves us way too open, here are the points we are likely to get without any change to system or improvements from players and Manager( wtf were those subs yesterday) for games still to play:

BHA away  0 pts  S'ton home 0 pts Leeds away 0pts  WHU away 0pts Arsenal home 1pt Wolves away 0pts Spurs home 1pt L'pool home 0pts 

Leicester away 1 pt Norwich home 3pts.  total 6 meas we will probably get relegated.

2 minutes ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Given how abject our performances are currently and SG trying to get us playing his Xmas tree set up, which I believe puts the wrong players in the wrong places and leaves us way too open, here are the points we are likely to get without any change to system or improvements from players and Manager( wtf were those subs yesterday) for games still to play:

BHA away  0 pts  S'ton home 0 pts Leeds away 0pts  WHU away 0pts Arsenal home 1pt Wolves away 0pts Spurs home 1pt L'pool home 0pts 

Leicester away 1 pt Norwich home 3pts.  total 6 meas we will probably get relegated.

We will fluke a result here and there. I also think Norwich will win. 

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

We will fluke a result here and there. I also think Norwich will win. 

Worrying though isn't it. When I started the list I assumed there would be enough obvious wins or draws but given what we are currently like I don't think we have enough in the bag. We need improvements and probably a fluky win might help start the recovery.

I’ve got to be honest, I’m left more than a little baffled by our manager these last 2 games.

I was willing to give his body language at Newcastle the benefit of the doubt, but after what he said in the post match interview I expected to see a number of changes, so to then only make one and even then shoehorn Watkins back onto the pitch on 58 minutes was puzzling.

Yesterday was not as bad a performance as Newcastle, but I felt our substitutions were awful and just handed the initiative to Watford.

What has happened to SG as a presence on the touchline? He looks like this job has aged him 5 years already.

I respect him not throwing players under the bus in interviews, but I worry that he is going down the same route than Dean did of staying loyal to players who are just not repaying that loyalty in their performances.

I don’t think we are in danger of being sucked into trouble, but I do worry that we are going to find ourselves behind an ever growing number of clubs in the pecking order for European football, and if the last 3 games are anything to go by then I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

How many league games and titles did Neil Lennon have for Celtic. Alex McLeish had a better win record for Rangers and you loved Big Eck

What's your point here? Because I wasn't saying "Gerrard is a good manager because he did well with Rangers", but rather explaining why the Sherwood comparisons were stupid.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What's your point here? Because I wasn't saying "Gerrard is a good manager because he did well with Rangers", but rather explaining why the Sherwood comparisons were stupid.

How are the Sherwood comparisons stupid? The kamikaze tactics Sherwood employed are back, the soundbites are there as well

Yesterday reminded me of one of Sherwood last games was vs either Stoke or Swansea and we played very similar to yesterday but after 30 minutes you knew we would lose near the end through a counter attack. Roy completely schooled him yesterday 

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How are the Sherwood comparisons stupid? The kamikaze tactics Sherwood employed are back, the soundbites are there as well

Yesterday reminded me of one of Sherwood last games was vs either Stoke or Swansea and we played very similar to yesterday but after 30 minutes you knew we would lose near the end through a counter attack. Roy completely schooled him yesterday 

Because they're not really based on anything - just a forced meme by certain posters because they think he's one of the worst Villa managers of all time after 3 months.

• Like 2

well right to form after 3 poor performances Gerrard has gone from the glory man destined to march us back to the big time, to a joke who needs to be sacked immediately.  I'm not calling for him to be sacked tomorrow, but I do have and have always had some serious concerns about his style of play and whether it'll work in the prem.  

Gerrard relies 100% on his full backs to provide width in the team.  he plays 2 no 10s ahead of a narrow 3 man midfield.  its not about Bailey or traore not being fit.  that's his plan.   now think about what's happened and what we're asking of that defence.  we're shipping goals left right and centre and tbh is it a surprise when we're effectively playing with only two full time defenders in the first 11.  even then he encourages one of them to get forward.  its insane.  its just totally wrong.   understand he wants the defensive midfielders to fill in but think about what that means.  we're playing midfielders who from the start of their career are picked to play n midfield because they can play pass and move and nice through balls are suddenly being asked to sit deep in a defenders position and then hit long balls if they manage to win the ball.   insane.   

this squad clearly has enough quality in it if Gerrard learns his lessons quickly and starts playing sensible formations.  if he wants wing backs to provide width then play 3 at the back with wing backs.  if he wants to play 4 st the back then get your midfield or forwards to offer some width. 

Edited by tezzaleed
  • Like 4

I'd be surprised if Gerrard changed the system, as he seems so convinced by it. He will probably keep telling himself that because it worked in Scotland it will work here eventually. If he doesn't admit his error then his sacking will be inevitable.

We seem to be getting worse by the week, yet he doesn't change the personnel or tactics. To do it once is an error, to keep doing it is the definition of a fool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'd be surprised if Gerrard changed the system, as he seems so convinced by it. He will probably keep telling himself that because it worked in Scotland it will work here eventually. If he doesn't admit his error then his sacking will be inevitable.

We seem to be getting worse by the week, yet he doesn't change the personnel or tactics. To do it once is an error, to keep doing it is the definition of a fool. 

Pavlovs dog

• Like 1

OK I had a little time to reflect...

Gerrard can't be to blame, it's the players.

Most of the current team just aren't good enough and we see that in games like those against Watford and Newcastle.

Watford have done the double over Aston Villa this season and I'm blaming the players for their lack of quality. We are toothless and a soft-touch due to our inconsistency.

Top ten is extremely unlikely based on current form which is a shame as we should be winning these games. The likes of Southampton and Wolves are taking their opportunity to be top ten ahead of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â