Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

No, the parallels are stupid. Sherwood had no real record or experience anywhere and no real plan. Gerrard does has a plan and a system, it's just not working right now.

Sherwood had a plan and a system. It was crap and we got relegated but Tactics Tim had a plan and a system.

Regardless of their prior experience they’re both Villa managers and as far as I’m concerned they’re starting to become remarkably similar.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seriously take the emotion out of it.

Listen to the interview on WM. Subjective of course - but he said 2or times "it's all on me"

I don't take an awful of stall by interviews etc - but that sounded like a man out of ideas. Just have a listen.

I did, sounds like a man not shirking his responsibilities. He could have made excuses, he didn’t.  I got no hint of despair. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Sorry but how does Digne being in a slump justify anything ?

The argument was that SG needs to bring his own players in. He's got £25m worth in Digne - who isn't performing. Him being in a slump doesn't make it ok ?

What happens if Stevie G brings in 4 more with a £100m outlay - and they are in a slump.?

We were playing Watford today - with Tom Cleverly in there starting 11 FFS !!!!

I agree. I've seen people on social media calling for a massive clear out in the summer. We have a squad of decent international players and am not sure if they are being realistic about the calibre of player we can replace them with. It is also better quality than most of the other ones in the bottom half. 

For me this is about getting the tactics right rather than personnel. Maybe when Nakamba comes back the system will work better, but one player being injured shouldn't cause the whole team to fall apart. He is hardly Grealish level either. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

So you suggest playing Bailey at RB?

If we’re going to play this system then against teams like Newcastle and Watford you might as well play a winger at full back. Cash spent most of both games playing as a winger and surprisingly enough created nothing. I’d suggest actually playing some wingers on the wing but failing that having Bailey as our most attacking player rather than cash doesn’t seem like a disastrous idea. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I agree. I've seen people on social media calling for a massive clear out in the summer. We have a squad of decent international players and am not sure if they are being realistic about the calibre of player we can replace them with. It is also better quality than most of the other ones in the bottom half. 

For me this is about getting the tactics right rather than personnel. Maybe when Nakamba comes back the system will work better, but one player being injured shouldn't cause the whole team to fall apart. He is hardly Grealish level either. 

If his system is so reliant on what Nakamba brings then surely the first player he should’ve signed should’ve been someone as close to Nakamba as possible. Even just on loan. It wouldn’t have cost £50m to replace Nakamba.

• Like 1

He was naïve today in my opinion with his team selection after promising changes. I am guessing he thought it would be harsh on them to make wholesale changes based on one game, but I think he will in the next game.  Players let him down today but he has not done himself any favours with that selection. 

I think the problem with his system is the personnel.  I would experiment with adding some physicality to that midfield, so I would put Chambers as DM (drop Luiz) and get Carney involved (either for McGinn or Buendia/Coutinho). We have far too many players out of form and some of them they are all doing the same job in that midfield/attack. Gerrard has justification to make changes now - it isn't working. You owe individual players nothing, be selfish. 

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

If we’re going to play this system then against teams like Newcastle and Watford you might as well play a winger at full back. Cash spent most of both games playing as a winger and surprisingly enough created nothing. I’d suggest actually playing some wingers on the wing but failing that having Bailey as our most attacking player rather than cash doesn’t seem like a disastrous idea. 

Goes back to the DM role again. Playing Bailey at right wingback makes sense if we’ve either 3 centre backs or else 2 centre backs and a midfielder right in front of them.

1 minute ago, jim said:

I did, sounds like a man not shirking his responsibilities. He could have made excuses, he didn’t.  I got no hint of despair. 

He can stand in front of the media and spout that every week, whilst the poor run continues. But what does it achieve, apart from make you feel better?! Wanting to be better and doing it are two separate things.

For the last two weeks he spoke about making changes to the starting XI, but made just 1 non-mandatory change across the two games. Why? We have players like Bailey and Sanson on the bench who deserve a chance, given the poor form of the current XI. Why not try a different formation or personnel? The fact he is not trying to utilise the squad or alter his tactics is worrying and doesn't reflect well on his managerial abilities. 

7 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

If his system is so reliant on what Nakamba brings then surely the first player he should’ve signed should’ve been someone as close to Nakamba as possible. Even just on loan. It wouldn’t have cost £50m to replace Nakamba.

And that is what people were querying at the end of the window. Its looking like a bit of a mistake. 

1 minute ago, Villastine said:

Deano broke that pattern. Brought us from the depths of the championship. Improved each and every player. 

We sacked him too soon. 

Not that I think Gerrard will achieve as much, but we were in this exact same position at around the same point in Smith's tenure.

Edited by Mantis

I don't need to see anymore games to know Gerrard is a mistake of Remi and Sherwood proportions. This was the easiest game of the season and we had one shot on goal with a front line consisting  of a  Brazilian , Argentinian and English international, and people want to blame the squad quality! Embarrassing. 

• Like 4

For me so many mistakes.

Loaning too many players out, getting digne in when he hasn't been any better targett, not getting a dm in. It's very concerning.

Gerrard looks all over the place at the moment. His inexperience is showing. Why the duck he thought playing Ashley Young at right back is a good idea Is a complete mystery to me. I don't even blame young. I blame gerarrd for foolishly playing him there.

Gerrard stupidly loaned out kesler when we don't have another rb

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

The thing is it's easy to blame Gerrard. But the managers keep changing yet the one constant is the players are the ones playing like words removed week after week regardless of who the manager is.

It’s only been smith and Gerrard with the vast majority of this squad - it’s not like we’ve burned through a 5/6 managers with these players. Do we have any players in the squad who were here under Bruce?

These players have shown both managers that they are good enough. It’s up to the manager to get consistently good performances out of them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't need to see anymore games to know Gerrard is a mistake of Remi and Sherwood proportions. This was the easiest game of the season and we had one shot on goal with a front line consisting  of a  Brazilian , Argentinian and English international, and people want to blame the squad quality! Embarrassing.

Not the easiest game of the season given they've got a new manager

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

The thing is it's easy to blame Gerrard. But the managers keep changing yet the one constant is the players are the ones playing like words removed week after week regardless of who the manager is.

Yes, of course.

The problem is when you make a man one of the highest earners in history there are expectations.

I also feel the 5 losses are kind of irrelevant. People refer back to it as a baseline as if that's the level we were at before he came in.

Â