Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I've full faith in Gerrard. We are being undone by player errors. Gerrard needs the summer to solve the problem positions of CF, CDM and CB and I'm certain he will. 

Unless I am wrong he has already brought in a CB ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Unless I am wrong he has already brought in a CB ? 

Chambers is a utility player, covering Right Back as much as CB and sometime CDM. 

I'm talking about Gerrard signing a bonafide starting CB that is straight into the team like Gomez. 

I still think we'll sell Hause in summer. New contract was to protect the asset and bump his wages. 

19 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

His management is definitely more Rafa than Rodgers.

Definitely skewing towards we've got a goal let's soak it up drop 10 yards and try and catch them...but instead of trying to catch them but we just stay sat in . No runners. No breakneck transitions.

I think Gerrard will need to rethink things. Its happened several times now. Rhythm and attacking output have died a death.

I would even say it is Brucesque in that regard. Though I can actually see what Gerrard is trying to actually implement.

Have we had over 50% in any game yet under SG?

I can't say I've seen anything yet to suggest we've found the man that will take us into European football but it has only been 12 games.

Hopefully, with a proper pre season and a couple more of Gerrard's own signings we might start to push into the top half

My only real concern with Gerrard has been the narrow system and the reliance of FBs working their bollocks off continually and the CBs being exposed. I feel most the Smith squad with the exception of 3-4 players are struggling with this change. We are also potentially at a point whereby we probably need to replace 4-5 more players in the starting 11 in order to truly step up levels. I just see the same problems reoccurring otherwise, with the system creating more individual player mistakes. 

Edited by avfc1982am

39 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

My only real concern with Gerrard has been the narrow system and the reliance of FBs working their bollocks off continually and the CBs being exposed. I feel most the Smith squad with the exception of 3-4 players are struggling with this change. We are also potentially at a point whereby we probably need to replace 4-5 more players in the starting 11 in order to truly step up levels. I just see the same problems reoccurring otherwise, with the system creating more individual player mistakes. 

Agree about the narrow formation.

Why is it suddenly that we must play with attacking full backs ?  - surely a highly paid manager can come up with a formation that suits the players we have right now ?

It's a bit worrying that since mid December we have beaten rock bottom Norwich and managerless Everton !

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agree about the narrow formation.

Why is it suddenly that we must play with attacking full backs ?  - surely a highly paid manager can come up with a formation that suits the players we have right now ?

It's a bit worrying that since mid December we have beaten rock bottom Norwich and managerless Everton !

Not trying to be funny bur your a regular poster on here and I trust you know the reason why we must play with attacking fullbacks or does this really need explaining? The fact you have asked, I'll assume the later.

•  This season was a write off when Gerrard took over, we were not going to make top 6 and some shocking teams below us so change of going down very low.
  • It's how the manager wants us to play, every manager has his own identity and this is Gerrards
  • Gives Gerrard the opportunity to instil his style this season so we are far more accustomed to it next season
  • Gives him a chance to fully evaluate our existing players to see who can adapt and fit into his style of player
  • The above point will prepare our transfer strategy for the summer
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, picicata said:

I can't say I've seen anything yet to suggest we've found the man that will take us into European football but it has only been 12 games.

Hopefully, with a proper pre season and a couple more of Gerrard's own signings we might start to push into the top half

Coutinho.  The single most exciting transfer in the last 30 years.  It happened because of one man.  JJ has developed into one of the most exciting English midfield players in about the same period too.  Buendia has also really stepped it up since Gerrard took over.  Unfortunately we're still a couple of key players short of being an excellent team.  But this is the closest we have been for a long, long time.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Zero7 said:

Not trying to be funny bur your a regular poster on here and I trust you know the reason why we must play with attacking fullbacks or does this really need explaining? The fact you have asked, I'll assume the later.

•  This season was a write off when Gerrard took over, we were not going to make top 6 and some shocking teams below us so change of going down very low.
  • It's how the manager wants us to play, every manager has his own identity and this is Gerrards
  • Gives Gerrard the opportunity to instil his style this season so we are far more accustomed to it next season
  • Gives him a chance to fully evaluate our existing players to see who can adapt and fit into his style of player
  • The above point will prepare our transfer strategy for the summer

Fair enough. I'm just not seeing attacking full backs as pre requisite to being a decent side. It's almost become an end in itself rather than a means to an end.

Personally I think there are other formations. I thought the days of a new manager completely changing tack and therefore changing players en mass was something we were keen to get away from. (Sporting Director).

Let's just hope Stevie G is right. Otherwise theres going to be a major clean up excercise if the holy grail of attacking full backs fails to yield results.

The club's going all in on project Gerrard - I fear the aftermath if it fails.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

from players that have seemingly found their best form under this manager

I’m not disagreeing with most of what you said in your main comment but I don’t agree with this above.  I think some of our players have been more poorer under him from all our defence, Ollie, arguably McGinn and Luiz.

Buendia you could give Gerrard credit for but arguably he was just settling in.  So that leaves Ramsey who has been superb.  

So only definitively Ramsey under your above point. 

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not disagreeing with most of what you said in your main comment but I don’t agree with this above.  I think some of our players have been more poorer under him from all our defence, Ollie, arguably McGinn and Luiz.

Buendia you could give Gerrard credit for but arguably he was just settling in.  So that leaves Ramsey who has been superb.  

So only definitively Ramsey under your above point. 

I said we have been poor defensively.  I didn't name any individuals, but you have named them for me. I would also add McGinn and Chuck to that list. It's all about opinions, but I always give credit where it's due. 

Incidentally, you could also say the manager has shown his willingness to promote the Youth. For me, it's definitely a half - full situation. 

Â