Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

There’s two elements at play with the Coutinho deal. One is the appeal of wanting to play for a relatively high profile figure. The other is the previous dynamic between the two during their time at Liverpool.

Does Coutinho sign if he hadn’t played alongside Gerrard? How much is down to the “Gerrard name”, how much of it is because they know each other?

I don’t know, ultimately it’s kinda moot. What hopefully will happen is Coutinho does well, players of a similar level see that and think “Yeah, I want some of that.” And if that happens Gerrard deserves the plaudits. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Xela said:

The manager is just part of the jigsaw though. The high profile manager approach hasn't worked for Everton as they are toxic behind the scenes. 

You need good owners, good staff, big name manager, good facilities, the right attitude/culture throughout the club, etc. 

It's starting to click into place. 

Compared to where Everton are right now Ancelotti did a pretty decent job for them.

5 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

This is not a criticism of anybody, but a reflection on football....

There is no way we sign Coutinho if Smith is still our manager.
Is it really the case that Aston Villa F.C. is less of a draw (or less important) than the manager?
Kinda makes me a little sad. 

It's what Aston Villa represents in terms of ambition and vision....The building is just Bricks and Mortar......its the people that make it come alive and give it the spirit of success.

This signing in theory, should help us a lot in terms of convincing, new talent to join us....it also suggests, the players we have like Bailey and Buendia, might come alive too, they need quality around them.

I'm not going in to past Managers, they all served their purpose and no doubt tried their best.....Its a different era now, and that's what the owners are trying to develop.

I think big players, have always been a draw.....its nothing new, just new to us, in recent times ( 10-20 years)...it shows how far we had slipped and how we as fans slept walked in to it.....The phoenix is rising from the ashes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

There’s two elements at play with the Coutinho deal. One is the appeal of wanting to play for a relatively high profile figure. The other is the previous dynamic between the two during their time at Liverpool.

Does Coutinho sign if he hadn’t played alongside Gerrard? How much is down to the “Gerrard name”, how much of it is because they know each other?

I don’t know, ultimately it’s kinda moot. What hopefully will happen is Coutinho does well, players of a similar level see that and think “Yeah, I want some of that.” And if that happens Gerrard deserves the plaudits. 

Well Coutinho did say Gerrard was his idol as a child.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

True, but there’s also no way we sign Coutinho if Martinez and Douglas Luiz haven’t broken into their national teams.

It’s all pieces in a jigsaw. Gerrard has made this one happen, but other people played their part too.

Stop with your reasonable and measured points Kent! Smith Out! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think you have missed a third element.  I am pretty sure that Coutinho wouldn't sign for Rangers irrespective of his relationship with Gerrard.  There is a key South American component in our team so the fact that Emi, Dougie and possibly Buendia are already here will have helped.  But I think Gerrard and Purslow still had a selling job to do.  Which makes me think that they've spoken about our / their ambition - and (I'm going out on a limb here) I think they have also spoken to him about other targets too.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking but the "option to buy" doesn't happen if Coutinho thinks we are a mid-table team.  It's not like he has moved to get a huge wedge of cash.  I think we've got another huge signing to come that is at a fairly advanced stage.  Someone that will convince PC that we might have a genuine chance of doing something pretty cool.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, allani said:

I think you have missed a third element.  I am pretty sure that Coutinho wouldn't sign for Rangers irrespective of his relationship with Gerrard.  There is a key South American component in our team so the fact that Emi, Dougie and possibly Buendia are already here will have helped.  But I think Gerrard and Purslow still had a selling job to do.  Which makes me think that they've spoken about our / their ambition - and (I'm going out on a limb here) I think they have also spoken to him about other targets too.  Maybe that is just wishful thinking but the "option to buy" doesn't happen if Coutinho thinks we are a mid-table team.  It's not like he has moved to get a huge wedge of cash.  I think we've got another huge signing to come that is at a fairly advanced stage.  Someone that will convince PC that we might have a genuine chance of doing something pretty cool.

Yeah I was going to edit the post afterwards but couldn’t then be bothered.

As you highlight, Villa and the chance for him being back in the premier league has a certain pull too. He may think Gerrard is the greatest thing ever but I doubt he’d be going to Rangers if he was still there (and if they could afford it).

And I don’t think he would return to just any premier league club, I think they would have to have been of a certain stature and I think the club would have needed to sell themselves and their ambition to him. A plan which hopefully comes to fruition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I was going to edit the post afterwards but couldn’t then be bothered.

As you highlight, Villa and the chance for him being back in the premier league has a certain pull too. He may think Gerrard is the greatest thing ever but I doubt he’d be going to Rangers if he was still there (and if they could afford it).

And I don’t think he would return to just any premier league club, I think they would have to have been of a certain stature and I think the club would have needed to sell themselves and their ambition to him. A plan which hopefully comes to fruition.

Especially if the rumours about Coutinho taking a pay cut already are true.  You don't do that unless you think that something really good is going to come of it.

• Like 1

It's still early days with Gerrard but to get Coutinho in his first transfer window is pretty impressive.

I really like watching his pressers, he doesn't take any crap and shows clear disdain for stupid questions. 

I'm liking it so far, mostly good performances and results so plenty to be happy about. 

Stuff the w4nkers on Monday night and that's a Carlsberg Weekend right there

• Like 1

🗣 "Stevie G is the best midfielder"

Philippe Coutinho picked Steven Gerrard as the only midfielder in his Dream 5-A-Side team back in 2017 👀

https://www.facebook.com/100000473462841/posts/7395301627162213/

I think we possibly underrate his influence and the respect players have for him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we possibly underrate his influence and the respect players have for him.

When Gerard was announced as Villa manager there was a section of VT that were dead against appointing an "inexperienced" coach/manager, a "Liverpudlian" and anyone named "Steven Gerard".

One week into his first transfer window a Liverpudlian named Gerard has used the wealth of his "footballing experience" to bring in a player who until recently was regarded as one of the worlds most talented footballers, to Aston Villa.

Steve said when he signed for us that it isn't about Liverpool, he is Aston Villa now .... and he's proved it. His name is a top draw for players in a way that our much loved previous manager could never match. This is only the beginning of his influence.

NSWE/Purslow wisely realised that in order for the inexperienced to climb higher, you need someone leading who has already been to the mountain top.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

but I do remember being upset by criticism of SG"s supposed inexperience which ignored his whole footballing life

My biggest problem with this argument that I’ve heard many times is that being a player versus being a manager is very different.  Just because you are good at one doesn’t mean you are good at the other.  Just because you’ve been in the bubble of football and worked with great managers doesn’t mean you can do it yourself.  Gerrard has a massive head start in working for elite managers and seeing how they do things but his managerial experienced is limited.  Players don’t know half of what managers do, never experienced that side, different pressures, responsibilities and mental change.

In my professional life I’ve had to coach people who have worked for me to move into the next stage of their careers and start managing people, managing teams and some take to it well and some don’t.  It also takes time and experience to harness those skills and to see if you have that in your locker to keep advancing.  Many of the best staff I’ve had technical wise, who are brilliant at their job turn out to be very poor managers of the same people who have their skills.

Gerrard is inexperienced in football management but he’s very experienced as a player and being in the football world.  This experience will be very valuable to him as a manager.

12 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

This is not a criticism of anybody, but a reflection on football....

There is no way we sign Coutinho if Smith is still our manager.
Is it really the case that Aston Villa F.C. is less of a draw (or less important) than the manager?
Kinda makes me a little sad. 

Gerrard signed his ex-teammate. It’s not like Gerrard is able to pull any big name to the club but in this instance he had a connection to make it work for us. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Gerrard signed his ex-teammate. It’s not like Gerrard is able to pull any big name to the club but in this instance he had a connection to make it work for us. 

True, but this signing may lead to others we wouldn't have got.  Wait till the official unveiling of coutinho, in his villa kit telling the world that he took a pay cut to come and be part of the villa project.  Magic

• Like 1

The other club allegedly in for Coutinho was Newcastle, so I don’t know if it’s necessarily true that Coutinho wouldn’t have signed for us if we were interested and paying the same money had it been Smith in charge and not Gerrard. It likely helped though.

It’s not like Eddie Howe would have got Phillippe’s loins burning

• Like 1

Truly, and I know others will strongly disagree with me, I think he's the best thing to happen to the club over the past 22 years.

A manager with real drawing power, ambition and surrounds himself with a strong staff that is great at building relationships with players. He's the one to stop Villa from being a stepping stone and turn us back into a real giant of the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â