Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Remember when we all thought our midfield was an unbalanced mess? Now look at it, Gerrard and his team have got our midfield working and it looks great. I’ve got a lot of faith that we will get even better as he gets more time with the team. Early days of course but you can’t discount what we’re seeing already.

• Like 4

Really love this quote in particular. Finally we have the ball breaker we need to step up a level: "We need more time on the training pitch to fully understand how we want to play. Can we do it for the full 90 minutes without me having to get on the players' back at half-time?"

• Like 1

Gerrard has played it by the book so far PR wise. I imagine next week will be a quick thumbs up to the Kop and then get on with business of trying to get something.

It will be as far away from the fawning Houllier gave them on his return as you can imagine.

As for general stuff to me this squad looks a great fit for what he wants to achieve. Remember we won today against probable top 8 team without Ings, Bailey, Traore, Trez or Targett involved. That's over 100m worth of talent and a few of those would've started today if fit.

Personally I think a lot of people on here overreacted to the Houllier at Anfield stuff (not the performance though, as it was absolutely diabolical) but it's also worth remembering that at the time we were on a pretty poor run of form as well and had only won one in the previous 2 months or so. Now we're flying so totally different atmosphere.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Even if he goes full scouse I hope people can just ignore it. He is and always will be Mr Liverpool.

FWIW I expect him to act completely professionally, but he’s def allowed to applaud the Liverpool fans after or before the game for his inevitable good reception. 

• Like 1

Doing very well so far and still striving for more improvement from the team as well

Also love the fact he is giving minutes to our young players. 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People still think this is just a new manager bounce?

I do think it's still just a confidence and playing to a higher level thing, especially the last 2 games 2nd halves 

He's getting a fire in the belly that Smith couldn't 

The rest will come and we will get better, we were still incredibly sloppy tonight 

2 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

No chance. It's like we've evolved.

Think so to.

A manager bounce normally ends after the first defeat but Gerrard has managed to get a reaction out of them.

And our inability to come back from losing positions was always a thing that annoyed me. It was like we surrendered whenever we went a goal down.

Edited by villalad21

Let’s face it players want to play for this guy probably more than for Smith. He’s a legend of the game and he’s clearly demanding. They must really want to impress him. 

That’s nothing against Smith at all I just suspect Gerrard is what we need for the step up. He’s more of a ball breaker and has that star quality that the players will respect. 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I do think it's still just a confidence and playing to a higher level thing, especially the last 2 games 2nd halves 

He's getting a fire in the belly that Smith couldn't 

The rest will come and we will get better, we were still incredibly sloppy tonight 

And there will be moments of sloppiness in the near future.

We have been a powderpuff team for way too long and it will take time to change the whole mentality.

Can't wait to see how we look after he's had a pre season.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Let’s face it players want to play for this guy probably more than for Smith. He’s a legend of the game and he’s clearly demanding. They must really want to impress him. 

That’s nothing against Smith at all I just suspect Gerrard is what we need for the step up. He’s more of a ball breaker and has that star quality that the players will respect. 

as much as I love Smith I agree with this. his status within the game counts for a lot to these players I'm sure.

Edited by osmark86

Â