Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

All this talk reminds me of Kodjia. They had to start monitoring his sleep at Bristol City as he kept staying up till 5am in his hotel room the night before a game watching videos.

Football videos or errrmmm… other types of videos?

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Anyway, main objective of press conference achieved I think.

So good, the BBC Sports App said it twice!

0BC4FBAC-6788-4806-81C7-56BF7D8AB318.jpeg

Yeah I noticed that headline on the BBC site. 

It's a way of using a denial to suggest a message to the world. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Latest telegraph article on his appointment - one has to wonder if this is a load of BS - I mean anyone who has had to prepare for a job interview with a POWERPOINT presser needs a tad more than 3 days. 

Simply untrue. I've done it myself in less, and that was without losing sleep. Got the job too.

It's generally an exercise in gathering stuff you already have in other formats / presentations (modern football management does involve classroom-style work too, you know).

If you know your shit and you're good at what you do, you don't need more than a few hours of hard work to put together something concise and yet powerful.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

LarryDavid.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Rangers supporters love the colour Orange and we wore Orange at a cup final to honour Dick Advocat when he was our manager. Tune in at 4pm on Sunday. 

Just now, est1874 said:

Simply untrue. I've done it myself in less, and that was without losing sleep. Got the job too.

It's generally an exercise in gathering stuff you already have in other formats / presentations (modern football management does involve classroom-style work too, you know).

If you know your shit and you're good at what you do, you don't need more than a few hours of hard work to put together something concise and yet powerful.

And indeed have a team around you paid to produce such a presentation. 

His agent probably has one pre prepared.

• Thanks 1

I can't decide if find the idea that his skills with PowerPoint came into it more funny or troubling, but I shame the concerns some have with Purslow, and it resonates with some of the criticism aimed at him in his previous roles

I'll be fully behind Gerrard, at least until we can assess things in the summer, but the general feel of the place has certainly lost that fairytale spark, imo.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Weechops said:

Rangers supporters love the colour Orange and we wore Orange at a cup final to honour Dick Advocat when he was our manager. Tune in at 4pm on Sunday. 

He knows Rangers fans like Orange. He’s skeptical of the reasoning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macandally said:

I am not going to hide the fact I still remain to be convinced by the Gerrard appointment.  I still think some are getting ahead of themselves as lots of people talk a good game, proof is implementing it (particularly when players may be unwilling.

I actually felt worse after that presser, Lange was pointless, Purslow looks under the pump (go back to the smiley faces when Deano came in) and Gerrard looked uncomfortable with the whole dog and pony show.  That whole thing was pointless, he has another presser pregame tomorrow, with likely same questions.  It would have been better to let the bloke use the time afforded to him with the team.

I always felt confident with the structure put in place by the owners and Purslow, now I have my doubts, particularly with the latter.  This didn’t look like a relaxed, confident Purslow, it looked like someone who knows he is pulling the wool with his public responses and is hoping his confidence/gambleis justified.

I expect a “bounce” Saturday, but remain to be convinced long term

Well earned cynicism there, but for me football is about hopes and dreams, and because a game is yet to be played in the SG era, I'm going to let my imagination run wild and have fun doing it. I'll hold my cynicism for later. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Have you seriously made the case for a MS office application? Without humour?

6 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Definitely I don’t understand this late start nonsense, every other working person in the world gets up early for work why should footballers be different? I’d like to play games all night but I know I need to get up in the morning so I don’t , If they can’t be disciplined enough to get up Early and not stay up late then they aren’t professional  

I’m totally speculating now but I got the impression that Smith went with the keep the players happy and they will perform on the field approach. It worked for a while but maybe complacency kicked in?

Again total speculation and probably completely off the mark but it did seem at times our players didn’t give their all anyway near enough as they should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Another one? Really? God today’s really was pointless, no wonder it seemed awkward. Mondays interview was great, should have gone from that straight to the pre-game conference. Have they confirmed he has another tomorrow…what’s left to say? 

the in house pre prepared press conference arranged by the club? I think today was more of an indicator than the Monday one

Just now, Made In Aston said:

Lange said they Interviewed 3 other candidates and chose Gerrard as he was far superior to the rest. It would be interesting to know who they were... But deep down part of me knows it was Joe Kinnear, Dwight Yorke and Dennis Wise. 

Well it were a 4 day exercise - pretty amazing to have narrowed a shortlist of 20 to 4, asked them to perform a presentation, then made a decision - all in 4 days. Crock of shite. 

• Like 4

Â