Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He's on £100k a week. Whatever happens, that has to be considered. There is serious pressure on him to deliver and very little room to say oh well, he did his best. Tough job. 

Tough job that he is happy to take on with zero reservations. From reading into him going to Rangers he had 15 meetings with the heirachy before committing. Plus i think that someone like Gerrard who only knows winning will be able to instil a hatred of losing in this squad. I think we will be so much more focussed in games and be right at it from the first minute. 

52 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He's on £100k a week. Whatever happens, that has to be considered. There is serious pressure on him to deliver and very little room to say oh well, he did his best. Tough job. 

More than all but a couple of the playing staff. Peculiar 

45 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Tough job that he is happy to take on with zero reservations. From reading into him going to Rangers he had 15 meetings with the heirachy before committing. Plus i think that someone like Gerrard who only knows winning will be able to instil a hatred of losing in this squad. I think we will be so much more focussed in games and be right at it from the first minute. 

He knows more than most about losing when it matters most too! 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

WTF?! Seriously? 

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

WTF?! Seriously? 

Reportedly. I don't hold it against him, but gone are the days when the manager earns less than the superstars of the team. The pressure that would follow a player earning £100k a week, should also follow the manager. He really does not have any margin for error, it's a case of top half, or the pressure is on. Dean Smith was held to this standard, whilst being paid a lot less, SG should be too. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe I'm being a bit old school here but I think was Clough who said that the manager should be the highest paid person at the club. Either him or Fergie. It was a legend anyway. And I fully agree. 

They are top of the tree, literally 'the gaffer'. Name me another trade where the workers are paid more than the gaffer. They are the figurehead of the club, numero uno and should be compensated as such. 

So what we're concerning ourselves with here is the amount of money floating around in football, which is hardly a new problem tbh. 

Cloughie was right , the manager is the main man 

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Reportedly. I don't hold it against him, but gone are the days when the manager earns less than the superstars of the team. The pressure that would follow a player earning £100k a week, should also follow the manager. He really does not have any margin for error, it's a case of top half, or the pressure is on. Dean Smith was held to this standard, whilst being paid a lot less, SG should be too. 

I find it difficult to believe but I suppose it’s not all that shocking, the money side of football went crazy ages ago.

But if it’s true, it kind of makes me angry. What the hell has he done in his managerial career, how much experience and success does he have behind him to warrant such a wage? All he has to show in his short career is 1 SPL title… that’s really not worth all that much… 

It is sickening and foolish if you ask me. I would have to question our regime and it only makes the doubts around Purslow increase… FFS we’re paying for a name 🤦‍♂️

What if this ends up to be a complete disaster/failure? How much money would we end up losing or paying out for that failure? Where is the contingency plan? FFS.

To earn such a (stupidly) high wage or beyond should have to be earned or warranted. Ok, you can maybe justify the likes of Pep, Klopp,  Conte and others getting paid so handsomely (because they produce and have produced the very best, they have amazing track records and reputations) but Steven f****** Gerrard? Come on!

Surely we could have gotten someone at least as good (if not better) and paid them a lot less?

I would like to discover the truth about this… it just seems so reckless and stupid, if true. How well a manager is paid should be relative to their success…

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Can't wait to see VillaTalks reaction if Gerrard does one of the following:

• Wait until the 65th minute to make subs
  • Not "Change the system" at halftime when we're down at half

So tragic these moans.

Space cadets saying oh we should have done this or that.

I'll miss lots of the big Smith grumbles to be honest. They were brilliant for cheering me up after losses.

• Like 4

Â