The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

A decade or so ago I thought there was a clear line of excellent managers that went right down to terrible managers and that was that, but in the years since I've come to think that circumstances and context play a much much larger role. So many managers have done amazing things only for things to just completely fall apart at the same club (e.g. Smith), or done great jobs at one club, gone on to another and been crap, and then gone to a third club and been good again.

So even though he wouldn't be one of my top choices I wouldn't be surprised if he was a roaring success or an abject failure.

Agree with this.

I really think most of the art of being a top level manager is being able to stand far enough back that you can see the bigger picture whilst balancing keeping a lot of overpaid fragile egoes engaged and happy. Which is why in the modern game most managers can only really focus on the morale/ego/motivational man to man coaching, whilst others look at the data, tactics and fitness.

Which is why Dean may have been let down more by the coaches he lost / his support network, than anything he did differently (plus the need to change the team every game due to a farcical number of injuries and squad issues). I think the players stopped responding to Dean as nothing he could do could get the right result or level of performance and that spread like dry rot throughout the team, decimating confidence.

But I genuinely believe Gerrard will get the players working hard and performing again, I do see him as someone they will listen to and respect, even if he wouldn't be my first choice.

Like any new manager at the start he will be far removed enough to see the issues that Dean an co were far too entrenched and snow blind to see. I just don't know what the longterm will look like under him but I don't necessarily think he will fail.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I understand why some people are underwhelmed/angry if I'm honest.

Deano leaving is still raw, and the only possible instant pacifier for alot of fans, would be a truly world class or upper echelon star manager. I get it.

However, let's hope the board are more far sighted than we are, if it fails, they will have hell to pay.

Personally, I don't know how to feel 100 percent yet but I'm always excited by the prospect of a positive new dawn.

At least we know that if he isn't cutting it, he'll be f#cked off as well, because if Deano of all people can get the boot, anyone can!

I try and take emotion out of it, I'm sad Dean has gone and still fuming at that capitulation against Wolves and the domino effect.  I just struggle to see the logic of Gerrard being the number 1 choice out of all the managerial talent there is in the world of football that would be interested in us.  I don't see why anyone would write him off though and sincerely hope it doesn't reach the VP crowd as we need him to be a success.  He needs all the players available ASAP, just like Dean did but I think we will move up towards mid-table naturally and he can learn along the way, as he seems to have done at Rangers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just read that when he took over Rangers they had finished 30 points behind Celtic. That’s some progress to be fair.

Kind of. He actually took over 1 month before the end of a season they finished 9 points behind. 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I just read that when he took over Rangers they had finished 30 points behind Celtic. That’s some progress to be fair.

Yep and they were are total shambles when he took over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I do get the impression he’s not too close to his players which is what you want i think. The perception was that Dean was too nice. It didn’t even feel natural or real when he hooked Mings two weeks ago. He didn’t have form for doing such. Gerrard has constantly dropped and recalled players at Rangers. He might dent a few egos here.

I think your right,. an it can only be a good thing.

I like how Gerrard said in his pre-match interview with Rangers that he couldn't support Morelos anymore after his red card I think against Celtic and said he was going to personally ask the board to fine Morelos for his actions. This was all in front of the camera after the game, no messing. I'm sure there's a video of it somewhere if someone can be bothered to post it, as I can't.

3 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yeah, you keep saying that, but here you still are....

Like I said earlier I don’t want to say the players name . But  if I came out and said oh I’m his my brother or father would you be saying the things you are now no you wouldn’t I posted to give information and join the community but some people just took the mick should be ashamed.

2 minutes ago, ada86 said:

Like I said earlier I don’t want to say the players name . But  if I came out and said oh I’m his my brother or father would you be saying the things you are now no you wouldn’t I posted to give information and join the community but some people just took the mick should be ashamed.

How's your French 🤔

You ever been to Marseille? Wonderful city.

* Stares in suspicious *

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I have a bit of whiplash as well. But thinking about it I am pleased its happening so fast. It sees to me the board and CEO have been considering this for a while and had their main targets lined up.

I do get the sense now (Dean Smith not getting a new contract this season was the first clue) that maybe they have been looking for a moment and a reason to make a change. Which is pretty reasonable based on our results vs investment this year.

I would sooner this than the desperate flailing for weeks or months other clubs have done.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On to more important matters, will the 3 million we allegedly paid Rangers in compensation, count towards FFP?

Last thing we need is missing out on JWP because we were 3 mill short and end up having to loan Junujaz 🤬 . If we still can, that is.

Yes the 3m will count towards FFP. 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What has @ada86 done to wind everybody up? 🤣

I'm off for 1 day and there's a new public enemy number 1. Lol

Got no clue what's gone on, but Welcome, you'll get used to the banter and the community eventually.

Thanks just said gerrard at vp and info from player that eventually will be in the first team but guess people think I’m lying 

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

Let's hope he is allowed to bring in his own backroom staff and not be hamstrung in the same way Smith was.

How was Smith Hamstrung exactly?

• Like 1