The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, briny_ear said:

In retrospect it’s pretty clear that the club knew their first choice to replace Dean, they went for him and appear to have got him. All within a few days. Much more decisive than previous manager recruitment exercises for Villa and this suggests they have a plan.

Whether it works out is less in their control - to be honest, Gerrard is inexperienced as a manager, even though he has done well with Rangers,  and it is a bit of a punt to appoint him.

But whatever happens, I feel confident their is clarity of purpose from the board and that makes me feel optimistic.

Presumably Purslow sent Gerrard a text asking if he’d be up for it before he sacked Smith. 

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

If anyone thinks our owners are so insular to just appoint a big name, in isolation of any other criteria.....I am staggered.

I have much more faith in our owners than that.

Please feel free, to say, I don't see, what they see....but don't accuse them of being that dim.

They were going to hire Henry... So, forgive me

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know many fans are angry about this. But let’s give the guy a chance hey?

There was  similar outcry when JT came to villa but he won over the fans and I think stevie will do the same - I think he will play down Liverpool talk and be very respectful to the job at hand 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know many fans are angry about this. But let’s give the guy a chance hey?

He will get support, we had McLeish in charge at one point and he got support. This is a complete gamble by the club though and not one we needed to take.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Other Mat said:

I'm kind of warming to the idea, especially with his backroom staff incoming. He may be inexperienced  but as a player he's done it all (except win the title obvs), hes a winner, that's ingrained in him. Hes managed the Rangers job well, more than meeting his remit, and although its not the role it once was, it still has its own pressures and expectations, especially from the fan base. 

If he holds our squad to the standards he's held himself too over the years and makes them compete to those same levels, he'll be a success here.

None of its guaranteed all because he's done well in a league that's not at the premier leagues level.

I can see us being in some real trouble under him, possibly relegated which I certainly hope I'm wrong if he does come in.

He's done fabulous as a player yes and he's done his best in Coaching to start off somewhere, but is this where were really at now which is trading one inexperienced  Smith for one inexperienced Garrard. 

I do not know what Puralow and our Owners are thinking if they think they can go spend hundreds of millions each season but then go cheap out in the manager department and expect results. Its one thing to have players but if your not managing those players as best as you can in every area then the results just wont happen.

The way we're going our rise to one of the top clubs will be nothing more than a fantasy and not a plan. I honestly thought getting rid of Smith someone serious would be brought in. Adding someone like Gerrard to Villa will make me nervous as hell until we're safe and even then the following season I wouldn't be at ease.

Sure Gerrard as a world of knowledge and I do think if he can pour that into our players they would be better off for it but that could come at a massive cost. If the bloke can't get results first season and we sank down a league would people be okay with that?? Something tells me his head would be called for quick.

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

In retrospect it’s pretty clear that the club knew their first choice to replace Dean, they went for him and appear to have got him. All within a few days. Much more decisive than previous manager recruitment exercises for Villa and this suggests they have a plan.

Whether it works out is less in their control - to be honest, Gerrard is inexperienced as a manager, even though he has done well with Rangers,  and it is a bit of a punt to appoint him.

But whatever happens, I feel confident there is clarity of purpose from the board and that makes me feel optimistic.

Was thinking the same. It does bother me that apparently none of the other mentioned possible candidates have been given interviews. 

1 minute ago, ada86 said:

This was my last clue tonight for the player like I said hopefully you can all get behind him when he makes first team and we talk about him in own thread rather than reserves, loan or liverpoool in the cup 😉

You old rascal - it’s akos anodi 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's got to consider himself pretty fortunate that he's managed to get a job like this at this point in his career. 

Have Villa ever had a manager with less experience?

Tony Barton? Graham turner? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's got to consider himself pretty fortunate that he's managed to get a job like this at this point in his career. 

Tim Sherwood…..?

beaten to it! Damnit @Uncle Albert

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Tim Sherwood says hi

Graham Turner was a similar age to Gerrard but had about 5-6 years at Shrewsbury Town