The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

7 hours ago, Jareth said:

And now they must deal with an unbalanced squad that the new manager will likely change - big money has been spent very recently - that we have to make changes is a failure of those making the big decisions. And now the same folks choose the new manager. I'm not sure our recent failings come down to the manager entirely. 

Every business will make wrong decisions and go on to regret the decision they made. However, good management will recognise when a bad decision was made and will rectify the problem and will learn from it

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

You’d have gone for the backroom staff that we had 11 years ago? Including those that have retired and/or have health issues like Sid. Are you for real? And you say appointing Gerrard would be a backwards step? Sorry I can’t take this seriously.

Reading not your strongest skill I see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

I’m not that keen but I think that’s harsh. An invincible season at Rangers is a great achievement alongside their European run…

In your opinion is Gerrard the best candidate it off all available options? If not then it isn't harsh at all. 

The only people interested in the debate about Scottish football and the size of the club's are those who have an inferiority complex.

Nobody cares apart from Rangers and Celtic fans. 'up here' they like to tell us the Old Firm is the greatest rivalry but around the globe nobody cares, because it's crap football.

This is exemplified by Social Media, the difference in followers is telling.

Re: Gerrard some of us either with him or against him but we should ALL be with Aston Villa and support whoever is Manager. They all need our SUPPORT.

One thing about Gerrard is he is a winner and demands success, hopefully he can bring that success and mentality with him. 

The likes of Ole Solskjaer and Dean Smith and too nice for PL football.

I've never had an ITK and don't really take much of this but this sent to me by a mate - I work in Delhi, he in Belgrade both at High Commissions/Embassy (for context) - his message thus:

Pal of mine working for Scot Govt who has close ties to the Rangers board reckons that Gerrard's reps, Rangers and Villa met last night. £7m compo on the table. Pretty much a done deal according to my mate. Only things left to negotiate is who Gerrard takes with him form the backroom and not leave Rangers too exposed without any first team coaches. Apparently...thought I'd share.

• Like 3

I'm taking the Rangers fans bitterness toward us as a sign of how much they don't want to lose Gerrard, which is a positive.

If Gerrard is to be the manager I'll certainly be giving him a chance. Of course it'll be a risk, but I can't imagine that he would come here if he wasn't going to be backed significantly in January.

My only hope is that he doesn't go back and raid his former club for too many players.

Edited by jacketspuds
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Some rangers fans talk as though we are Kilmarnock 🤦🏻‍♂️Rangers fans have no perspective how big a club villa are - interesting on club size - rangers 647000 followers Twitter , villa 1.7m almost treble 👍

I bet they haven't got any fans in Ghana 🤣

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont see why mate, if all fit we have loads of wingers, a few of whom are very good quality.

I would much prefer it if we sorted the DM/MC issues, and maybe even some defensive frailties in Jan, if possible, with the money we have.

Kent is not a winger. He primarily plays on left but has freedom to roam. As two footed a player as you will see. In the system Gerrard plays, also drops back to help out midfield when out of possession and works hard for team. By far, in my opinion, the outstanding player in Scotland in an attacking position. Held back this season by injury. I have no doubt SG will want to bring him if he is appointed. 

47 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

A sweaty on talkSPORT said you can go to any city in the world and find a Rangers pub, His example was Australia and he said that you would never find a Villa in a pub in AustraliaThis makes them a much bigger club apparently 

Surely that just means plenty of them have escaped from Glasgow. 

2 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Kent is not a winger. He primarily plays on left but has freedom to roam. As two footed a player as you will see. In the system Gerrard plays, also drops back to help out midfield when out of possession and works hard for team. By far, in my opinion, the outstanding player in Scotland in an attacking position. Held back this season by injury. I have no doubt SG will want to bring him if he is appointed. 

ok fair point, but again, we have quite a few players who can play wide or in a 10, or a forward roaming position.

Im not saying Kent isnt good, or that he wouldnt be a nice addition, but in reality, most Villa fans will say that if we have 50m, or even 100m in Jan to spend, right now there are other critical areas we need to upgrade before any of the front players, thats all im saying.

Our squad is extremely top heavy right now when fit, up front (and in forward positions) we have Ings, Watkins, Traore, Bailey, Buendia, Bidace, as well as other players who could play a 10 or roaming role, where our midfield is quite a disaster right now and effectively made of paper mache, and even our defence is a bit ropey.