The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

25 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If we’ve been marched up to the top of the Gerrard hill only to find there is no deal, it will be a bit of a PR disaster for the club. (Takes me back to the Lerner era.)

It would be a real cock up at this point. Hopefully we’ve not gone all Lernery at a critical moment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After what I’ve read about Michael Beale I’m not sure I’d want Gerrard if it meant Beale wasn’t coming with him.

I don’t think Gerrard would leave Rangers if Beale didn’t want to come too.

13 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I quite like the idea of having Gary Mcallister back here. He did pretty well in his caretaker stint. 

Fell out with senior players last time he was here. He will have to have matured since then

• Like 1

All this Gerrard speculation is pissing me right off. While he was a player I rated as the best of the English CM's, as a manager he has done nothing to deserve the Villa job, and has zero connection with the club. 

Gerrard stay in Glasgow, or go back to Liverpool, in be anywhere except B6.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Nah - Houllier had tried to change the style far too fast for the squad we had who were in revolt against him for most of the season.

Once McCallister was in charge he essentially reinstated the MON system from the year before.  A Young went back out to the wing instead of playing "in the hole" where he'd been terrible and unproductive all season. (The speculation was GH played him there to try and bribe him to stay.)

We eventually finished 9th but that league position flattered us as to how terrible most of it had been.

I see similar happening again. Just have a bad feeling and Gerrard wont be experienced enough to fix it

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am having a hard time remembering Paul Merson when he was with us, so forgive the comment. But he comes across as less sharp then Lee Hendrie who also appears here.

Bless em but this is Gabby level analysis.

Bloody hell Lee looks terrible. How old is he?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I remember that. I was on his side at the time. Looking back I think I still am. We had some wasters of players back then.

Maybe but is a way of doing things. Should have waited until the next window and kick the players out. They quickly lost the dressing room. 

Some of them players were bad but they even fell out with Petrov as well who wasn't a prick

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Maybe but is a way of doing things. Should have waited until the next window and kick the players out. They quickly lost the dressing room. 

Some of them players were bad but they even fell out with Petrov as well who wasn't a prick

Totally fair. I also thought he and Houllier had a "we are too good for you" air about them which I resented. Hopefully thats gone as well.

53 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

When Purslow talked about ambition, then comes up with (his friend/hero) Gerrard, who has zero managerial experience in a top class, competitive league, i am left with the opinion that this appointment is being made with Gerrard first and villa as a secondary consideration. Just my opinion

yet we don't really know if he's coming or we are interested. Equally I dont see his appointment as nepotism, NSWE are smarter than that and would see past it. IF he's appointed, I think its because the club see him as a good candidate. One thing I do know is we are heavily data driven now and that will be a huge part. in any appointment.