The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

You're absolutely right objectively, but has he relatively? He is, right now, a more successful manager than Smith was when he got the job, but we're also a much more attractive proposition. 

I agree we are.

My point was that people were happy with Smith despite a lack of any real achievements (except out smarting Barny the tactical genius that is Bruce) but people are being critical of Gerrard's lack of achievements. Granted the club is in a different position now, I'm just highlighting "achievements" aren't necessarily the benchmark of the right appointment, Di Matteo showed that and McLeish! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He never finished above Bruce though did he?

A clubs wage bill is the primary method in determining league standing.  Bruce had the highest wage spend in the championship so touting his inability to even finish in the promotion places ain't saying much at all.  

16 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Voted "Other". I want Ange Postecoglou (currently at Celtic).

That's not ever going to happen, but I can dream.

Can't imagine him at a prem club yet, needs to 'build his brand' (cant believe I've said that with a straight face 🤮) in Europe first. 

Celtic fans were super unhappy with his hiring to begin with, VT would probably burn the Body moor to the ground if he was hired now.

For the record I think we could do a lot worse than Postecoglu.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Read this article...

Thanks for this - makes me think that at least if it is Gerrard, he would be taking up a leadership role and the coaching is done by the coaches. Just as important then that the coaching hires are spot on, though.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Folski said:

You have the odd freak injury but for me injuries are caused. Certain clubs tend to have players consistently injured Arsenal had it there for about 5 years. Boro seemed to have it for a while and we have had it under Smith.

IMO a massive stretch to put our injury issues on Smith. Covid disruption both before and during definitely can't. Nor absenses following international duty. Put another way,  I don't think sacking Smith will have any impact on these issues.

45 minutes ago, Folski said:

Two often performances were mailed in and he looked at sea once ROK & JT left.

We've been forced into more rotation and tactical change with the starting XI than any other team in the league so far and have missed key players throughout, so no wonder to me that performances look off. Its also no surprise that West Ham, with the least changed starting line up by quite some way so far this season are flying. Same goes for our decent start last season. Think the ROK & JT thing is overplayed and either way wasn't in Smith's control either.

52 minutes ago, Folski said:

Gerrard seems to be doing a fine job at Rangers and is a born winner, if he leaves us for Liverpool we will be in a better place than he found us.

Win rate at Rangers seems about par for that job, if not slightly below. Is worse than Advocaat, McLeish and McCoist and about on par with Walter Smith. Also seems like Celtic haven't been as strong as in the past either. Not sure how can be read into performance his performance at Rangers. Very much seems like a bigger risk than keeping Smith would have been.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To give Stevie Gee his credit, though he's only won 1 title in 3 attempts in the Scottish fitba two horse race, he's currently got the edge this season against....some Australian bloke. 

As an Aussie familiar with that 'Australian blokes' work, don't be surprised if Gerrard is make to work fing hard for title number 2

• Like 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Are u Ozzie Ardiles :)

Lol, no but as our defence has been so bad we won't really suffer by not having one on the park, and this way we might have enough forwards to actually get on the end of those long balls the team loves so much

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The comment I was responding to was about "achievement" not playing style or player improvement, out smarting Bruce is a low lever achievement!

Once again, not saying Gerrard is the right appointment but it is very hard to argue Smith had achieved more than Gerrard had prior to coming to Villa.

I don't see how it's hard to argue that.  Would a manager who won league 1 be touted as having achieved more than Dean because that's really what we are arguing. The SPL outside of the top 2 would get smoked by even the lowliest team in the MLS. What Gerard has done just isn't impressive, in the slightest. 

I think it's fair to say Gerrard would be an underwhelming appointment at face value and certainly a massive gamble without completely writing off what he's done to date. If there's a way to impress in a league like the SPL then he definitely did that with Rangers' record last season. Can't say it convinces me that he'd be the right call but it feels like Villa fans are just bouncing from one extreme to the other on this one right now.

In fairness to Gerrard, while it might be a two horse race above the border, the two seasons before he was appointed that horse was finishing third. 

I’m finding myself going back and forth on this proposed appointment. Can’t remember the last time I felt as conflicted on a potential new manager.

• Like 1