The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So now we're turning up out noses up at Champions League/Europa League managers!??

Only on VillaTalk. 

Wesley was a Champions League player. Nobody seriously thinks that managers or players in tinpot leagues who get knocked out in the early stages of European competition, are suddenly "Champions League material" in a top league.

Also, not only on VillaTalk, lol. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had the same reaction to Gerrard: unproven, big step up for him.

I'm not btw saying Gerrard will be shite... I think he has some ability. But struggling to see how he's a step up, and think he'll have similar problems with the imbalances in the squad. I'll still support him if he comes, because I want any new coach to do well.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So now we're turning up out noses up at Champions League/Europa League managers!??

Only on VillaTalk. 

Just like Di Matteo who won the Champions League as manager, we hired him a few years later and sacked him after 4 months.

Edited by nick76

18 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Fonseca won everything possible in his 3 years in Ukraine (2 horse race)

Gerrard won one trophy from a possible 9 in his 3 years in Scotland. Callum Davidson won more trophys with St Johnstone last season than he has in 3 years with a huge difference in resources.

Davidson now he sounds like he is doing a fine job in Scotland and not managing one of the bigots

Just now, nick76 said:

Just like Di Matteo who won the Champions League, we hired him a few years later and sacked him after 4 months.

So on that basis, do we chalk off people who have managed in the Champions League/Europa League because the ones we've hired in the past have been shit?

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's more than Villa have ever achieved in god knows how long, is it not?

Malmo would struggle in the Championship. Might as well recommend Neil Lennon, Stephen Kenny or the BATE Borisov manager while we are at it

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

So on that basis, do we chalk off people who have managed in the Champions League/Europa League because the ones we've hired in the past have been shit?

No, just being devils advocate on your comment!

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Wesley was a Champions League player. Nobody seriously thinks that managers or players in tinpot leagues who get knocked out in the early stages of European competition, are suddenly "Champions League material" in a top league.

Also, not only on VillaTalk, lol. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had the same reaction to Gerrard: unproven, big step up for him.

I'm not btw saying Gerrard will be shite... I think he has some ability. But struggling to see how he's a step up, and think he'll have similar problems with the imbalances in the squad. I'll still support him if he comes, because I want any new coach to do well.

It also depends who else is "Available" to be fair.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To some on here, he will never be good enough or accepted so it seems.

He will if he’s successful outside of the SPL. Why don’t we give Neil Lennon a shot at the job? 5 SPL titles, consistently qualified for group stages of the champions league, beat Barcelona etc… He then moved to Bolton where he got them relegated from the Championship.

1 hour ago, Digavilla said:

With the Gerrard speculation, I am struggling to think of a great player that becomes a successful manager.

The Zidane / Maradona etc maybe the greatest player but never reached the height as when they were players. The only one I could think of is Johan Cruyff but that's was long ago. Most successful manager do not have a good career it seemed. 

Pep wasn't a bad player

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Can we just pretend the last few days didn’t happen and rehire Smith?

I really fear for us, someone said the Wolves debacle was akin to us losing in a similar manner to Leicester all those years ago, the season we were relegated. I didn’t pay too much mind to it at the time but it’s starting to feel very much the same.

Losing Grealish and now Smith, it feels like the soul has been sucked out of us so whoever we bring in has to find a way to address that and quickly.

While I wanted to see them give Deano a few more games, I am not worried about this turning into 2016. NSWE are not Randy Lerner.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Indeed mate ,  hopefully once the decision is announced people will get behind our manager 👍

Most will and some man babies won’t get behind them regardless of what they do because their name isn’t Dean Smith.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1