The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

In defence of Potter, that win rate doesn't tell the whole story. His loss % at Brighton (36%) is better than Smith's at Villa (40%) so if we are wanting someone to stop a run of defeats he looks a pretty good option. Their issue has been scoring, meaning a lot of draws, but XG tables suggest that's not because they haven't created chances, with them being 13th in 19/20 (15th in actual table) and 5th in 20/21 (16th in actual table). So far this season they are 7th with only 2 defeats, though weirdly are now overperforming XG which would have them 11th in the table.

Hassenhuttl I'm less fussed on, but tbf his win rate is better than I thought given that, like Smith, his Southampton team seem to have had terrible luck with injuries this year. Still, he doesn't feel like an upgrade on Smith.

I'm not sold on them but would take either of them over Gerrard, Martinez, Hjumland, Lampard etc. 

The 'upgrade on Smith' point is the biggest one, though. Like many, neither of us wanted him gone, so whoever comes in needs to be a tangible upgrade or it'll be a dis-appointment (sorry). 

I've only really got eyes for Favre. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Martinez or Gerrard will get us relegated 

Martinez yes - can't construct a tight defence. Vital in the PL.

Not a fan of Gerrard (in fact I despise the bloke) - But I do feel initially he might lift us. Don't think it is Stevie G - and I think he will rule himself out fairly quickly.

I think it will be Fonseca. - for better or worse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

No doubt players might be shitting themselves Nick. He takes no prisoners in coaching and he will get us playing.

You just need to look at how he has handled Alfredo Morales at Rangers to see his man management skills.

Between keeping Morales tied to the club and also dealing with his huge disciplin issues, he's got what it takes to succeed.

It's a win win situation in my opinion.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

I want that Martin o Neill excited....fans chasing cars along the car park!

A lot of stars aligned for that to happen.  Rodgers would be the only one (that's somewhere near feasible) to have tat effect.

57 minutes ago, tinker said:

Well this topic shows us one thing , Purslow has made a mistake , a big mistake . If Gerrard gets the job ( he would be very foolish to accept it) and he loses the first 2 games the fans will turn and his position will become unbearable.

I have spoke to many villa fans today and I haven't spoke to one who wanted Smith out.

I think it is grasping at straws to extrapolate a discussion on a football forum to saying the CEO has made a big mistake. For some balance, we have been crap for the last year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Martinez yes - can't construct a tight defence. Vital in the PL.

Not a fan of Gerrard (in fact I despise the bloke) - But I do feel initially he might lift us. Don't think it is Stevie G - and I think he will rule himself out fairly quickly.

I think it will be Fonseca. - for better or worse.

Gerrard has never been involved in a relegation battle in his career and also has no idea to build a defence. His right back at Rangers averages 10 goals a season and couldn't get a game in Newcastle 

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think it is grasping at straws to extrapolate a discussion on a football forum to saying the CEO has made a big mistake. For some balance, we have been crap for the last year

Errrrrr ok.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Well this topic shows us one thing , Purslow has made a mistake , a big mistake . If Gerrard gets the job ( he would be very foolish to accept it) and he loses the first 2 games the fans will turn and his position will become unbearable.

I have spoke to many villa fans today and I haven't spoke to one who wanted Smith out.

I thought on results he had to go.

The question for me is was he hung out to dry ? - his coaching team dismantled - and players purchased in positions we didn't need - and seem to be plagued by Injury. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KMitch said:

You mean like when Bruce was sacked and a lot of fans initially wrote off Smith as being a backwards step?

Did they? I thought Smith appointment was fairly well received. His Brentford team had demolished us numerous times playing great football and was generally thought to be doing well with limited budget.

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

A lot of stars aligned for that to happen.  Rodgers would be the only one (that's somewhere near feasible) to have tat effect.

Funny enough I was just thinking that it could only be Rodgers outside of a stupidly optimistic foreign coach that would gather that kind of excitement universally.