Christmas 2021

sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm in the office tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to have some fried potatoes from the German Market for lunch.  Its about all I will buy from it these days. 

My lad walked through it last night on the way to Broad Street and kept on walking when he saw the price of the beer. 

How much we talking?

I had a beer there a couple of years ago but can’t remember how much it was.

59 minutes ago, Genie said:

How much we talking?

I had a beer there a couple of years ago but can’t remember how much it was.

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

£5.25 he thinks. 

From memory, and it is hazy, I think it was £4.50 in 2019 for a pint of lager. The wheat beer was a bit more I think?

That is some increase. 

Saying that, Lawless lager was £5.20 and Longhorn IPA was £5.50 a pint at Purecraft. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

From memory, and it is hazy, I think it was £4.50 in 2019 for a pint of lager. The wheat beer was a bit more I think?

That is some increase. 

Saying that, Lawless lager was £5.20 and Longhorn IPA was £5.50 a pint at a fairly expensive bar in a nice warm dry building. 

FTFY 

Been squirrelling prezzies and foodstuffs away for quite a while.

Really looking forward to it this year now we don't have to suffer the chavs that used to be next door.

Still...

spacer.png

• Like 3

Not sure why you'd bother with the beer at the german Market, surrounded by pubs, even sainsburys will sell you a weissbeer (not sure what brand the market sells but I doubt its a good one) 

Gluhwein is where its at or even better feuerzanganbolle  

Also schwenker for the food although you can't go wrong with curry wurst

I'll definitely be aiming to get it up soon ( kenneth ) . Got a wedding in london to go to this weekend, and then after that, the decorations will start being readied. Never put a tree up in november before, but this year... oh yes, it's going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Our tree is going up around the 25th. There is talk of transforming the conservatory into some kind of grotto. I am merely the person that puts lights and shit up at a high level. 

64530110.jpg

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Tree comes down on January 5th (Twelfth Night). 

Tree gets chucked out weekend before the day I go back to work which by my reckoning this time will be Sun 2nd Jan or poss Mon 3rd Jan (our household recycling centre is open on BHs)

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Tree gets chucked out weekend before the day I go back to work which by my reckoning this time will be Sun 2nd Jan or poss Mon 3rd Jan (our household recycling centre is open on BHs)

We stopped buying real trees and bought a (pretty decent) artificial one, about ten years ago. 

• Like 1

My folks are moving to a smaller property which means I’m inheriting their big(ger) tree. 

The tree and decorations will go up on the first weekend of December (something for my daughter to initially get excited about before the novelty of the task wears off and I have to complete it). 

It’ll come down probably the same day as she goes back to school, which I guess is either the 3rd or 4th next year.

First Christmas in our new home, we've picked out a spot for the tree to go, just got to try and pluck up the courage to traverse in to the deepest cavity of the loft, where I chucked all the Xmas stuff when we moved in. I'll put it off probably for as long as possible. 

It's our daughters second Christmas, with her birthday being at the end of November. The girly keeps referring to it as her 'first proper Christmas'. It isn't though, is it. I imagine she'll repeat that every year until she's 4. 

• Like 2

For this year, I am just going to do way more online shopping than I normally do. Have already took care of several people in my family this way by getting them gift cards as I think that is just easier because really don't know what they want and/or need.Will put up the tree here in a couple weeks, and am looking forward to having some family over. Not really the gifts for me, more just spending time with those people who are most important to me.

Went to the German Market at lunch time seeking out the fried potato stand. To my shock and horror it wasn't there.  There is another bar where it used to be. 

I walked around Victoria Square and couldn't see them moved anywhere.  It's a bit smaller up that end because of the work being done on The Floozie. 

Walked all the way down New Street and couldn't find them anywhere. 

It's £5.50 a pint BTW. 

Walked back up again and once more round the square.  Then I spotted a much smaller stand doing them.  I had already eaten something else by then but the price is £5 for a handful of sliced fried potatoes. 

We're in Strawberries and Cream at Wimbledon pricing there. It's the only thing I ever fork out for at The Market but they're just completely taking the piss there. 

I will probably do it once for old times sake but I used to do it several times before, at least once, maybe twice a week. 

I'm certain they would make more by being a bit cheaper, the raw materials are peanuts (well OK potatoes) they can't cost pennies to make. 

Other than that the usual 6 formulaic stores selling the same stuff repeated over and over. 

I was hoping now that Chamberlain Square was open again they would have that smaller market that had the real ale bar and Indian food stalls etc.  That was always the better part for me, but it was empty. 

I've not ventured to Centenary Square to see if anything is accompanying the Big Wheel and Ice Rink yet. 

Edited by sidcow