Your Most Underrated and Overrated Villa Player of All Time

Big Salad

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont care about what he has done at other clubs, I am judging his Villa career. Out of 3 seasons he had 1 good one

He had one good season and one excellent season IMO. His loan spell wasn't up to much.

• Like 1

I’m going to say Jordan Veretout was overrated and Gueye was underrated.

Both good players that went on to have decent careers but the former was absolutely shocking for us whilst the latter was probably our best player.   Yet Veretout would get less stick for the simple reason he would never play.  The reason he never played was because he was so off the pace! 

• Like 1

Underrated players that come to mind:

Petrov, Barry, Gueye - all players that some people didn't seem to 'get' because they weren't flashy, particularly the first two were accused of 'only passing sideways' etc. as if that was the only thing they did. I hope that with Westwood, who actually did only do that, to compare to later on, the penny finally dropped.

Overrated: Hendrie comes to mind, and in recent times it's been McGinn for me. Not that I hate McGinn or don't see the good he does, more so I feel like he gets a much easier ride than other players and is thought of more highly due to his personality rather than his footballing ability and performances.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Milner is definitely high up the list. One good season that was it. Was ok in his loan spell and didnt do much in his first season after re-signing

Yes I always thought he was overrated by many but he has gone on and had a long and successful career

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

you can say he's very good but also be overrated at the same time. he is given iconic status with sections of the fanbase to the extent that there were multiple calls for him to be our manager when bruce went. but i think all 3 of our CBs (the ones owned by us) are better than him. our current RB is better too

I thought Laursen was better too but didnt play enough games for us 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i think all 3 of our CBs (the ones owned by us) are better than him. our current RB is better too

Can’t agree with this at all. A fit Laursen was probably the best centre back we’ve had since Southgate in my opinion.  There was a reason he played for the great Milan team at that time.  If it wernt for his dodgy knee there is no way he would have played for us.

Under rated: Bosnich, Laursen, Yorke, Platt. All are seen as really good players that played for us but they were really world class players that could have played in any team. Platt rarely gets a mention on here because by all accounts he's an arse, but he was really one of the best players in the world when he left for Bari. 

Over rated: Too many to mention, Hutton, Elmo, Hourihane all spring to mind but we've had lots of mediocre players that people think are good because they played for Villa. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

What have you been smoking?

He was absolutely immense for us. 

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Benteke overrated?! :o

Probably the best striker I’ve ever seen at the club. He had absolutely everything. 

I knew I was going to cop it for this.

I honestly didn't rate him. I found him quite frustrating to watch. I thought he was a tap in merchant that never worked for his goals, and at the beginning of his last season with us when he was out injured, I thought we played better without him. 

Whenever there were calls on here wanting to " bring Benteke home", I really hoped that it wouldn't happen. Unpopular opinion I know, but that is where I stand, even if I am a bit lonely there.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

I knew I was going to cop it for this.

I honestly didn't rate him. I found him quite frustrating to watch. I thought he was a tap in merchant that never worked for his goals, and at the beginning of his last season with us when he was out injured, I thought we played better without him. 

Whenever there were calls on here wanting to " bring Benteke home", I really hoped that it wouldn't happen. Unpopular opinion I know, but that is where I stand, even if I am a bit lonely there.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. This guy created goals out of nothing due to how little service he got from a bunch of terrible footballers. A 1 in 2 striker in some of the worst Villa teams we've ever seen. Even if he just scored goals, that tally alone is noteworthy. 

But he didn't - look at this:

Tap in merchant ffs 😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. This guy created goals out of nothing due to how little service he got from a bunch of terrible footballers. A 1 in 2 striker in some of the worst Villa teams we've ever seen. Even if he just scored goals, that tally alone is noteworthy. 

Tap in merchant ffs 😂

No doubt about it, that is a fantastic goal, and is perfect for contradicting my opinion. 

However, this is not what I watched most games he played, and I would get frustrated with him, but I would support him regardless. 

I just never held him as high regard as alot of other people do.

10 hours ago, thabucks said:

Underrated: Ugo R.I.P & Southgate 

Overrated: Milner & Petrov

I would not have thought that any of us would have underrated Ugo and Southgate. In Southgate's case he's overrated outside Villa Park as a manager though. Milner and Petrov were also very good for us, in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, peterw said:

some good shouts so I'll go for something different:

Overrated: Merson (went missing in too many big games)

Laursen (not particularly good on the ball)

I don't recall Merse going missing too often and for me, Laursen was one of the best central defenders we have had at the club in the last 50 years. I agree with your comments concerning Lee though. 

Some other names mentioned that shocked me as well, my own offerings are:

Overrated: Alan Wright.

Underrated: Steven Davis, Martin Keown. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can’t agree with this at all. A fit Laursen was probably the best centre back we’ve had since Southgate in my opinion.  There was a reason he played for the great Milan team at that time.  If it wernt for his dodgy knee there is no way he would have played for us.

i was talking about mellberg

55 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Tap in merchant ffs 😂

The below is from the game that summed him and his time at Villa up best for me. The other 10 constantly allowing a QPR team somehow even worse than us back into the game whilst he single-handedly dragged us through. One of those where despite how good he was you still come away from it feeling a bit despondent because there was no way it was going to last.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 4

Â