Energy Bills

Genie

On 25/02/2022 at 18:44, Xela said:

165.9p for super unleaded today at my usual place. Up 3p in a week.

167.9 now.

• Sad 1

Apparently Octopus Energy offered a 3 year fixed deal that was pretty good earlier this week but it sold out very quickly.

Worth keeping an eye on their offers if you’re a customer of theirs. 

Came to the end of my contract over here with Energia they doubled my tariff straight away rang to get back into contract they said they couldn't move much because of the wholesale cost etc ..... Rang electric Ireland they managed to nearly match my previous contract but day units slightly higher and night units slightly cheaper......tie that into the 200 yo-yos the government are set to give us for energy bills .....I'm actually going to be better off this year than last 🤷

Has anyone made the transition from Oil to electric heating? 
The oil price is nuts. When we moved into our house back in 2020 I got 500L of oil for £139. Now it’s close to £500 (so almost £1 per litre). The annoying thing is is that Trading Standards dictate that you have to order 500L minimum. Absolute ass!! 

I want to switch to all electric so I don’t have to worry about oil shortages and the rising costs of it. 

Everything is shite at the minute. I don’t think we are doing enough to stop the piss-taking. 

Edited by Tayls

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Everything is shite at the minute. I don’t think we are doing enough to stop the piss-taking. 

No we aren't and give it a few more months once Patels Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill is enshrined in law then you'll likely be arrested for kicking up a fuss and protesting about it. 

30 minutes ago, Tayls said:

The oil price is nuts. When we moved into our house back in 2020 I got 500L of oil for £139. Now it’s close to £500 (so almost £1 per litre). The annoying thing is is that Trading Standards dictate that you have to order 500L minimum. Absolute ass!! 

I want to switch to all electric so I don’t have to worry about oil shortages and the rising costs of it. 

I've never had oil but when I moved in with my Mrs, she lived in a Village with no gas, so had an air source heat pump. 

From my experience it was was decent most of the time and our bills were similar to what I'm paying now in our current house (gas & electric) although that's about to change as cost is going up. I touched on it earlier in this thread but it was temperamental at times and there were issue with engineers actually knowing what they were doing. We were with a housing association so it was the contractors they used, they started using a new contractor for this very reason and even then there were issues. The more people that have them can only improve this though.

From my limited knowledge for them to be effective, there needs to be the optimum conditions in the house. It needs to be well insulated, using the right radiators. Heard of some units being poorly located and poor installations of pipework into the house. So if Air source heat pumps are a consideration, I'd thoroughly research who ever you're looking to supply and install, that they know what they are doing and can advise you well and whether it's worthwhile. As well as your own research.

I think we are going to see burglaries on the up in the next few months/years as people are going to be so desperate as they cannot afford to live.

Its unbelievable thsse bastards are getting away with increasing energy prices so much. 

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we are going to see burglaries on the up in the next few months/years as people are going to be so desperate as they cannot afford to live.

Its unbelievable thsse bastards are getting away with increasing energy prices so much. 

It's all about keeping the margins...... In these times any energy firms announcing record profits should get a big slap 

Mine is fixed until June.  I've already added an extra £40 a month to the direct debit payment though to hopefully give me a little teeny buffer for when the cost inevitably spikes.  

Just had a look at the tariffs at EDF in their online portal. 

I'm on until June:

Electricity day unit rate: 18.44p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 10.01p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 23.16p per day

The cheapest they can offer currently on a variable rate is:

Electricity day unit rate: 33.20p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 17.93p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 43.49p per day

For their fixed rate until March 2024:

Electricity day unit rate: 59.21p per kWh
Electricity night unit rate: 24.17p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 43.49p per day

That's it, I'm going to have 5 layers of clothes on and live in darkness :bang:

Edited by trekka
  • Sad 1

So the three chain garages by me haven't ever really put the prices down much after the last nutty price increases whereas all the others did shrink back down

All three of them as of today are at £1:68.9, the two Euro Garages (a Shell and an Esso) put it up to that price two days ago but the BP only went to £1:62.9 yesterday, today, it's just matched the other two

The Tesco garage is still at £1:54.9. I just filled the car up. That is a difference of nearly 64p a Gallon. All efectively on the same main road (apart from the BP which is just off it) all in a three mile stretch

And the Tesco is probably the most expensive Tesco petrol in 20 miles

23 hours ago, Tayls said:

My folks have oil heating with a tank in their garden. My Dad said today that 500L delivered yesterday was £500. Last delivery, a few months back, 500L was £290. 

Crazy prices. 

Electric heating is expensive though... if you mean electric heaters on the wall. My old flat was all electric and my bill was £100 per month and that was 13 years back! 

5 hours ago, Xela said:

My folks have oil heating with a tank in their garden. My Dad said today that 500L delivered yesterday was £500. Last delivery, a few months back, 500L was £290. 

Crazy prices. 

Electric heating is expensive though... if you mean electric heaters on the wall. My old flat was all electric and my bill was £100 per month and that was 13 years back! 

Yep! Just in January for our last winter delivery 500L cost me £301. next delivery will probably be over £500 when it comes to it. 
Electricity each month costs me £55 on my fixed rate. I’m expecting this to increase in April.

I think switching to all electric will be easier to manage, I also won’t have to worry about running out of oil or, possibly, not being able to get a delivery! Then there is the cost of it! 

On 04/03/2022 at 22:27, trekka said:

Mine is fixed until June.  I've already added an extra £40 a month to the direct debit payment though to hopefully give me a little teeny buffer for when the cost inevitably spikes.  

If you don't trust yourself not to spend the money then fair enough, but all you're really doing here is giving your energy company an interest-free loan.

Terrible picture, but spotted this yesterday in Tamworth 

4-A482-A9-B-3-A8-E-4-BB1-A6-AB-D94-E80-F

£1.53.9 for petrol, £1.69.9 for Diesel 😳 

They must have been running out of diesel or something as that price is outrageous even in the current climate.

Â