January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

The health scare issue is a non issue. Yes, if your heart stops it is potentially very serious, but it is 'just' your heart stopping, it is an electrical issue and not a mechanical or plumbing issue. Once the heart is restarted in sufficient time then there are zero negative impacts. The fact that it happened would raise concern that it could possibly happen again but CE has got a little device installed which will kick start the heart if it happens again. So it is a choice of the selfish conniving player or the brilliant player. Are these actually mutually exclusive? I think CE would add so much to the dressing room and his skill as a player cannot be ignored. Furthermore, after a near death experience people often want to live life to the full and have a wonderful attitude to what they do. Its a Yes from me :)

His heart stopping is a sign that his body can no longer handle the stress of a game at an elite level.

This isn’t a one off scenario, it could happen again.

Yes he will live a long and happy life, but not as an elite football player.

• Like 2

tbh i have been really impressed with Broja (on loan to Southampton from Chelsea), 20 yrs old, 6ft 3, quick for a big man, pretty skilful, really like the look of him.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

His heart stopping is a sign that his body can no longer handle the stress of a game at an elite level.

Can't help but agree with all of that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree, and money doesn't grow on trees.

If there is one thing to piss owners off, is buying dud players, its a sure way to drain their confidence.....They need stimulating just like every member of staff at the club...They need confidence that the people they have invested in are Kosher

I have been particularly miffed at the way we have failed to take the CDM role at the club seriously over the last few seasons.....most clubs in the Prem have taken it seriously and subsequently got some decent ones in.

There is not a dearth of them around like there used to be, or doesn't seem so, but still every decent club has one or two in some cases, or players who can do both in the case of the better ones.

We have tended to be a club, more focused on Offence, than defence and that balance in my view, is what's held us back.....and in fact it has not proved to make us any better in attack, either.

I am hoping, with the new regime , the ability to keep clean sheets and nullify the opposition, (like Wolves can do) will allow the offensive players to relax a bit more, and not have to worry, about whats going on behind them as much.

fingers crossed for the new window.

I'm afraid there is a dearth of quality,  holding midfielders. Oh for a quality, Kevin Richardson of today. Now he was a fine example of how to play that role.

Edited by sheepyvillian

From the four left backs that have been linked so far, Sosa is the one I’m not intrigued by. I’ll caveat that by saying I’ve not seen much of any of them, apart from Digne, who is good, and an upgrade on Targett, but not worth the total financial package with no resale value.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

Basically he is extremely motivated to get back in the game, so he can win a spot in the danish team going to the World Cup. With the interview today (nicely subtitled in English, and released early in the transfer window) and his agent throwing comments about how much he loved his time in England, he is definitely letting his intentions show.

To my knowledge Daley Blind plays with a similar condition and pacemaker and has returned to top level, so I’m also not convinced with the argument that CE could not do the same. He has used the last 7 months on medical tests while slowly turning up the intensity - he passed all tests and is fully fit according to the doctors.

I don’t see neither commitment nor health as a concern, but as others mentioned he might not be the medicine we need at this point.

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

The health scare issue is a non issue. Yes, if your heart stops it is potentially very serious, but it is 'just' your heart stopping, it is an electrical issue and not a mechanical or plumbing issue. Once the heart is restarted in sufficient time then there are zero negative impacts. The fact that it happened would raise concern that it could possibly happen again but CE has got a little device installed which will kick start the heart if it happens again. So it is a choice of the selfish conniving player or the brilliant player. Are these actually mutually exclusive? I think CE would add so much to the dressing room and his skill as a player cannot be ignored. Furthermore, after a near death experience people often want to live life to the full and have a wonderful attitude to what they do. Its a Yes from me :)

No this is wrong. His device reduces the risk, it doesn't eliminate it.

Those devices - implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) - are not 100% effective and have side effects (like fainting). A heavy contact from a challenge could dislodge the device.

This is why he's banned by the Italian medical authorities from playing in Italy.

He might be willing to take the risk, and I hope he manages to enjoy the remaining few years of his career, but the health issue is a very real consideration for whoever signs him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yorke81 said:

Basically he is extremely motivated to get back in the game, so he can win a spot in the danish team going to the World Cup. With the interview today (nicely subtitled in English, and released early in the transfer window) and his agent throwing comments about how much he loved his time in England, he is definitely letting his intentions show.

To my knowledge Daley Blind plays with a similar condition and pacemaker and has returned to top level, so I’m also not convinced with the argument that CE could not do the same. He has used the last 7 months on medical tests while slowly turning up the intensity - he passed all tests and is fully fit according to the doctors.

I don’t see neither commitment nor health as a concern, but as others mentioned he might not be the medicine we need at this point.

Of course it's possible for him to return to elite football. Is it advisable? And is it a risk worth taking for a buying club? Those are tricky questions.

Gerrard has a very high intensity training regime and playing style, in the most physically demanding league in professional football. As a club, we have a policy of buying youth.

Can't see Eriksen fitting into any of this at all now.

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I think there is another angle that no one can have any insight into. How scared is he?

Can we guarantee that after 30 mins of PL level sprinting, maybe somewhere deep in his heart (excuse the pun) he will simply feel this is not worth it and not go 110%?

He might want to live his life to the full with his family when he is 60, not on a Tuesday night in Stoke.

I think, as much as I think he is a top top player, we shouldn't risk it.

Obviously if he decides that he doesn't want to play and it was a mistake he can leave football and leave Villa. With no transfer fee there isn't much risk to this. If he leave it would be a mutuel agreement and we wouldn't continue to pay his wages. What is the major risk to Villa?

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Can see Gerrard going for a dynamic left back in the Robertson role, and next year bringing kesler in to emulate Liverpool fullbacks.

Add in a defensive midfielder and a reliable outside forward.

That's my guess for this transfer window.

And would Freddie fit the bill as RB to cover for Cash during the next 18 months? I hope he would

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

That's total nonsense. Heart failure has nothing to do with the body not being able to handle the stress. 

43 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Tagliafico and Digne are both 2nd choice left backs at the moment. Daley Blind starts ahead of Tagliafico.

Sosa is interesting but he is very injury prone and has missed 26 games in the last 2 and a half seasons through multiple injuries 

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No this is wrong. His device reduces the risk, it doesn't eliminate it.

Those devices - implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) - are not 100% effective and have side effects (like fainting). A heavy contact from a challenge could dislodge the device.

This is why he's banned by the Italian medical authorities from playing in Italy.

He might be willing to take the risk, and I hope he manages to enjoy the remaining few years of his career, but the health issue is a very real consideration for whoever signs him.

That depends on the diagnosis as to why the heart failure occurred. If CE has the issues with his heart related to ventricular arrhythmia he would not pass a medical at Villa and would not be playing football

9 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I just can't see that transfer happening. If it does happen it would be quite exciting but I don't think I would be a fan of it. That said, I wasn't a fan of Gerrard becoming our manager when he was first linked with us but I am very happy with him now so I will keep an open mind

Christian Eriksen isn't going to play at the top level again. There are too many risks, too many hurdles. 

His future in the game is coaching, if he fancies that, or possibly media, but the little I've ever seen of him away from the pitch he's not exactly a media personality (may be better in his native tongue?). But he's not playing in a top league again.

I was always Smith-in, but accept now that moving him on was correct. But I always thought he was recruiting for the long-term, not a quick 1-2 season boost. I hope Gerrard is thinking long-term, because dropping £20m+ on last-big-contract FB’s doesn’t seem like it.