January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

11 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Chrisene's best position will probably be in midfield, he's actually a very good attacker, can go past players, and is very skilful, strong, and has good drive.

More and more though these are attributes desired in a fullback. If they have those attributes and have the stamina to get back and be half-way organised then they can become a really dangerous threat from fullback.

Trent is probably the best example, often gets called out as maybe somebody who should go to midfield because of how composed he is on the ball. But he gets so much more time and space on the ball at fullback in attacking positions that he'd be wasted anywhere else.

I haven't seen enough of Chrisene to comment as I'm sure you have Useless, but think we'll see more and more players that traditionally would've been coached into midfielders converted to fullbacks 

Edited by HalfTimePost

Not trying to derail the thread so my apologies, but Is there a twitter account (or anything of the like) where you can follow all completed transfers?  Similarly, is there an account or source you prefer for rumors?  Thanks in advance.

Hoping we land a few players to get excited about in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

These days modern fullbacks are almost virtually like wingers, whilst Chrisene has good attacking abilities I wouldn't say he's like a winger as such, in Gerrard's system where a team is reliant on the fullbacks for width, I'm not sure that would suit him, on the other hand he'd probably be perfect for one of the box to box midfield roles in our current setup.

46 minutes ago, useless said:

I didn't realise that Digne had played for Barcelona, and Paris Saint Germain, so has big club and Champions League experience, also we need more creativity from our fullbacks and he seems to have that as well. My main concern would be that some Everton fans seem to think he's been out of form for a season or two now, alebit some blame that on Benitez, and if he was that bad surely a team such as Chelsea wouldn't be interested in him.

I wonder if we'd have any chance of getting Ian Maatsen from Chelsea, currently on loan at Coventry, If we're going to sign an older left back for the first team, then I think we'd be well served also signing a younger one for the future, maybe that we could send on loan for a season or two, especially as we don't really have an equivalent to Kesler-Hayden in the left-back position.

Yeah I can see a younger LB being signed even if we get Digne this window. Targett doesn't work with the system Gerrard wants to play so will probably want to move on in the summer as his stock is high given his Prem experience. The Full Backs are primarily attacking players in Gerrards system and the midfield 3 defending players. 

Online speculation at fever pitch😃

Wirtz👀

Zakaria

Digne 

Gomez

Probably the top names linked in the positions we have all mentioned. Mind blowing if we are even considering a shot at the top 2.

How realistic is this, just speculating like most of the gossip is.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Wirtz👀

Zakaria

Digne 

Gomez

Probably the top names linked in the positions we have all mentioned. Mind blowing if we are even considering a shot at the top 2.

Where is the Wirtz stuff coming from? I saw his name in a long list of names in the Daily Mail but haven't seen anything else other than that.

It would be incredible if we got Wirtz or Zakaria. If we got both it would probably be the best Jan Window we've had in my memory

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

French international. Is an improvement on Targett. But I’m telling you with Chillwell out for the season Chelsea are going to snap him up. 

Chelsea only want him on Loan though. They'd have 4 LBs on the books in the summer if they signed Digne. If Everton want to sell then that rules Chelsea out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Wirtz👀

Zakaria

Digne 

Gomez

Hi ho silvers, here come the lone ranger

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Where is the Wirtz stuff coming from? I saw his name in a long list of names in the Daily Mail but haven't seen anything else other than that.

It would be incredible if we got Wirtz or Zakaria. If we got both it would probably be the best Jan Window we've had in my memory

Its just a recycling of the original Daily Fail article, highly unlikely but its out there on various online gossip pages. Imagine, lol, wow would be an understatement, can't see it though, he could pretty much pick any club.

I think Cash is developing all the time and with a little more composure with his final ball he will be a very good full/back/wing back for years to come. I wouldn't be looking for an RB.

Targett was good enough last season to be voted player of the season, but his form this season has been concerning. Could this be because Grealish's presence in front of him last season took defenders away and created space and assistance that he no longer has access to? Sadly he is well short of the pace that an overlapping wing back needs. You can improve his final ball with good coaching (it's been wayward lately), but you can't add a couple of metres of pace, which is what he lacks. I think we need to add more pace in Targett's position.

With Tuanzebe moving on, we need another CB. Whoever that is needs to be good aerially and quick over the ground to cover the flanks when our wing backs are out of position.

Nakamba is a big loss because he is the only genuine holding midfield we have. We lack toughness, mobility and the willingness to put in a full blooded tackle to shake up the opposition (Philips and Rice do this very well). We're not going to sign either of them so Lange will have to come up with a lesser known, possibly younger version of this type of player. I still fancy Bissouma for this role, but so do a number of other clubs and if his legal problems are soon resolved he will cost a fortune.

So that's three positions to improve in this transfer window in my opinion. LB, CB, DHM. Gerard has specific names that Lange is chasing for him, so the decision on who we may sign is already made. In true NSWE fashion that info will be kept in house, so we can only watch and wait.

I like the fact that there is no plan B according to SG. If he can't get his named targets then we roll up our sleeves and go with what we've got.

• Like 2

Annoyed we’re going to be missing out on Alvarez… the player we should have gone for rather than Ings (which hasn’t worked out or proved good value so far, hopefully will eventually)…

Again, the club have often banded about the word “ambition” but we need to see that put it into action more often if we really want to kick on and elevate our standing and status in the league. We have to get the right players in if we genuinely want to reach that next level or two, rather than stop gaps such as ageing or average players… obviously, they need to be able to fit in to our system and tactics too…

But I’d rather sign the starlets of the future than old “names” and players on the way down…

I feel this window may give us a hint to how much genuine ambition we really have but the summer window will reveal most… I just don’t want us to throw the season away and want to see us push for as high a position as possible.

Edited by Jas10

Stats are never the be all and end all but still give some indication as to a players strengths and how well they are performing. But there are many factors to consider such as the standing of the team they play for, quality of opposition and so on…

But, for comparisons sake:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 2

I get that Barcelona would are trying to get as much off of their wage bill as possible, but they'd have to still pay the majority of his reported £380k / week salary for this to happen. I would be surprised if they aren't badgering Newcastle to see if they can take him as long as they pay 100% of his wages.

i think we should take a look at Joao Palhinha from Sporting for the CDM spot. Absolute beast at tackling and breaking down play. Very underrated player. Definitely a better choice than Boubacar Kamara currently. He’s 26 now entering his peak years. Thats what we need right now. Someone with experience in the centre. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Stats are never the be all and end all but still give some indication as to a players strengths and how well they are performing. But there are many factors to consider such as the standing of the team they play for, quality of opposition and so on…

But, for comparisons sake:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mate, not these again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Creeper said:

I think this guy has got stuff right before? Key word here being think, I could be wrong. 

P.S - I don't see this happening myself, I also don't think we really need him. 

who is he? other than SG

6 minutes ago, Shay said:

i think we should take a look at Joao Palhinha from Sporting for the CDM spot. Absolute beast at tackling and breaking down play. Very underrated player. Definitely a better choice than Boubacar Kamara currently. He’s 26 now entering his peak years. Thats what we need right now. Someone with experience in the centre. 

Why has he been on loan so much?