January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He's impressing on loan and has a lot of great attributes - none less than the fact that he's got pretty much elite level athleticism/speed. From everything I've seen of him so far, I think he's earnt a go. 

He is doing really well, I hope you are right. 

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

He is doing really well, I hope you are right. 

Tbh, if we're serious about promoting youth players and bringing them through, I don't know what more he realistically could've done so far to make more of a case for himself.  

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Tbh, if we're serious about promoting youth players and bringing them through, I don't know what more he realistically could've done so far to make more of a case for himself.  

Are we using the Chelsea model for profit? build em cheap and sell em high, you'd hope we keep the very best for ourselves though. I'll admit to seeing all his Kessler's highlights but I have watched any full matches, what's he like over 90mins.

On 09/12/2021 at 09:17, Reivax_Villa said:

If we finish in the top 8 this season, I can see is going for Kalvin Phillips next summer.

I've wondered this too myself. Part of me thinks after his Euros his stock would've risen above us to a CL spot. But along with all of the Leeds squad - his star has dimmed a bit this year -  but I still think he's a very good player.

United & Chelsea are the obvious clubs to be in for a player in his position. They'll both be wanting Rice. I'd imagine with his history and Mount being there that Rice will end up at Chelsea. I'm not sure I see Rangnick going for Philips. I could see him targeting a Tchouameni, a Bissouma. Probably the right decision for them too.

Liverpool have Fabinho who isn't exactly old. They aren't the kind of club to spend unless they need to. City will be focussing on convincing Haaland and don't need a DM. Spurs have already signed Pape Matar Sarr. Arsenal might be a shout but can't see that either.

Think we'll be in a bucket with West Ham (most likely imo - to replace Rice) and Newcastle (if they somehow stay up). 

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Are we using the Chelsea model for profit? build em cheap and sell em high, you'd hope we keep the very best for ourselves though. I'll admit to seeing all his Kessler's highlights but I have watched any full matches, what's he like over 90mins.

We'd obviously have quite a way to go to get there - right now we'd be the club buying what they're selling for our first team, if we look at some of the higher value departures.

Along with quite a few of the regulars in the U23/Academy thread, I watched a lot of him last season when they broadcast matches, so I honestly don't know what he's been like with Swindon any more than you either i.e. from the highlights, match reports etc. Last season, he really developed well. He was always ridiculously quick and handy with the ball at his feet, happy to maraud forward to get involved with the attack but plenty of pace to allow him to get back and defend. Sometimes he'd be a little rash with his decision making but over the course of games, he was starting to cut that out and become better defensively. With the way we play and this desire to get our full-backs forward, he's pretty much designed for that style.

50 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He won't be replacing Targett, he's will be competition for Cash, I like it, Cash Vs top3 and Trippier Vs teams we can dominate, building a strong squad for every eventuality, like it 

Other way around I'd imagine. Trippier has been a monster at Atletico defensively. I'd see him Vs the big boys and Cash the rest of the time.

19 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We'd obviously have quite a way to go to get there - right now we'd be the club buying what they're selling for our first team, if we look at some of the higher value departures.

Along with quite a few of the regulars in the U23/Academy thread, I watched a lot of him last season when they broadcast matches, so I honestly don't know what he's been like with Swindon any more than you either i.e. from the highlights, match reports etc. Last season, he really developed well. He was always ridiculously quick and handy with the ball at his feet, happy to maraud forward to get involved with the attack but plenty of pace to allow him to get back and defend. Sometimes he'd be a little rash with his decision making but over the course of games, he was starting to cut that out and become better defensively. With the way we play and this desire to get our full-backs forward, he's pretty much designed for that style.

I signed up to VT to watch them, been to Bodymoor to see them twice since lockdown lifted too, he was one of the shining lights last season for sure, some of them have to break through, hope he's one and soon. 

15 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Other way around I'd imagine. Trippier has been a monster at Atletico defensively. I'd see him Vs the big boys and Cash the rest of the time.

He can do it all then, I think Cash has been a little suspect going forward, when on he is great but his consistency of delivery and passing frustrates sometimes, although his stats probably aren't too bad, maybe SG sees RB and LB as very key positions and wants better players, I'd Trippier has been that good all round I'd say he's an upgrade. Like others say though, is it realistic.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

He won't be replacing Targett, he's will be competition for Cash, I like it, Cash Vs top3 and Trippier Vs teams we can dominate, building a strong squad for every eventuality, like it 

I always think of Trippier as left-side for some reason...nevermind.

If we somehow sign Trippier then he's starting most games regardless of whether it is on the right or the left. I like both Targett and the Polish lad but Trippier is a step up from both IMO.

Edited by sparrow1988

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Yeah I doubt there is any chance, just doesn't make sense, if it did happen it would be because SG really is a.big draw, exciting. 

I appreciate what you say about Kessler but the jump up in standard is huge, how effective would he be at this level? We do not know, if he cod do it though, I'd take that over signing anyone, seeing our kids make it big would be brilliant.

God, its happening again. 

Awaiting the first tits pun. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

If we somehow sign Trippier then he's starting most games regardless of whether it is on the right or the left. I like both Targett and the Polish lad but Trippier is a step up from both IMO.

I never realised he could play on the left as well.

If he can actually play both right, AND left, like a natural, with good quality,  might very well be worth it.

I don't think there's much chance we will looking to replace Cash, doing so would demote him to squad player and block Kesler-Hayden's traversable portal into the first team, and that doesn't even take into account that Cashy hasn't really done anything to warrant us wanting to replace him, he's playing pretty welll. Also I've read that Gerrard likes to play with very attack minded fullbacks, or in other words fullbacks that play almost like wingers, whilst Trippier has some good attacking qualities in terms of his ability on the ball, he's not really a fullback that plays almost like a winger, so not even sure if he would suit Gerrard's style.