Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

They need to get rid of the light show pre game, it kills of atmosphere building. 

Crowd was very quiet for the majority tonight

The only 2 home matches we haven't won in 11 months too.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Very disappointed yesterday at how many empty seats there were at full time and even from around the 85 minute mark, even though I acknowledge it was a late kick off (and late finish) and we didn’t play great.

To be undefeated at home for almost a year, the team deserved a standing ovation and the fans singing their hearts out at the end. I think it’s a shame we didn’t mark the end of the unbeaten run by showing our appreciation a bit more.

We had a chance to show the team that we still believe in them and support them no matter what, and I think a decent proportion of fans, not all, wasted that opportunity.

Brilliant point . I get fans wanted to try and get back home as it’s a nightmare but I never actually thought of that in terms of clapping the team for that great record. Opportunity gone as you say. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

Very disappointed yesterday at how many empty seats there were at full time and even from around the 85 minute mark, even though I acknowledge it was a late kick off (and late finish) and we didn’t play great.

To be undefeated at home for almost a year, the team deserved a standing ovation and the fans singing their hearts out at the end. I think it’s a shame we didn’t mark the end of the unbeaten run by showing our appreciation a bit more.

We had a chance to show the team that we still believe in them and support them no matter what, and I think a decent proportion of fans, not all, wasted that opportunity.

A number of people I know who never leave early did leave at the 90th minute because the M6 Southbound was going to be closed at 11pm as per the announcements which would affect their journey home quite a lot if they got caught out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

A number of people I know who never leave early did leave at the 90th minute because the M6 Southbound was going to be closed at 11pm as per the announcements which would affect their journey home quite a lot if they got caught out.

Is that the M6 south band that leads to the shires?

• Haha 2

Players gave them nothing to get behind in fairness.

Can't expect it to be rocking when they are so passive

2nd half they showed some fight and crowd responded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

It was odd towards the end, I think most probably left early because of the M6. We didnt and I think Bailey and McGinn came over to Holte and they got a good reception from those left.

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Players gave them nothing to get behind in fairness.

Can't expect it to be rocking when they are so passive

2nd half they showed some fight and crowd responded.

I have said this before the Villa crowd is Reactive NOT Proactive, loud when things on the pitch are good silent when they are not. This is not good for the players. The crowd has a huge role to play in getting the team going at difficult times in the game. The crowd at Anfield is a good example of how this works.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Oh wow, I thought it was still a mega popular place 

It is on match days but quiet outside of that. Shame. Iconic place. Had a Christmas do there once, lovely food.

Might turn more people towards the Lower Grounds.

An unfair argument imo blaming fans for the atmosphere or for leaving early, especially when the result is a forgone conclusion.

We've had a large amount of variable match times this season including last night. Kicking off at 8:15 on a week day, with kids at school the following day which is an absolute joke tbh. Then considering how late some of the games are finishing due to injury time. Traffic, long journeys, utter garbage rail service, City Council out at night ticketing fans vehicles wherever they can. The home crowd has been absolutely fantastic this season. 

On 30/01/2024 at 23:52, mikeyp102 said:

They need to get rid of the light show pre game, it kills of atmosphere building. 

Crowd was very quiet for the majority tonight

Was coming on here to say the exact same thing. The flames, lights, fireworks, smoke tunnel (or whatever it is they walk through on the way to the pitch) might look great on telly but yeah I think it kills the atmosphere in the ground.

16 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

I always stop until the final whistle, but left on 90 minutes because of the train strike, which meant if I'd stayed until the end chances are I'd of missed the last train home. I'm fed up of catching ubers after the game because of last minute train cancellations, as happened against Arsenal and Legia recently.

12 hours ago, smg said:

I have said this before the Villa crowd is Reactive NOT Proactive, loud when things on the pitch are good silent when they are not. This is not good for the players. The crowd has a huge role to play in getting the team going at difficult times in the game. The crowd at Anfield is a good example of how this works.

Every crowd is reactive. If the team is playing poorly on the pitch any crowd will be quiet. It's the same in every ground, Anfield is no different. One point to note is that evening games will generally have better atmospheres as there's usually more alcohol consumed by the fans pre game.

As for fans leaving early, we went 3-0 down and we never looked like getting back into it. The game kicked off at 20:15 which meant a very late night for anyone trying to get home. Perfectly understandable people left early, I would have too. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, smg said:

I can’t agree with this, it’s a myth how good the Anfield crowd is.  Yes, great ‘Never Walk Alone’ and all that and great when they are flying but I’ve been there a number of times when they are dead quiet like us when things aren’t going well but that isn’t the narrative that the media like to portray.  

We aren’t great sometimes but we are pretty typical of most clubs in the PL from my years of following Villa away (less so these days).  

There are obviously a few club exceptions but I always laugh when people talk about Anfield like that, even Klopp has commented about it before, even recently 

https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/klopp-urges-liverpool-fans-create-proper-anfield-experience-arsenal-2023-12-22/#:~:text=On Wednesday%2C the German called,it was not a criticism.

December 22, 2023

On Wednesday, the German called out the quiet Anfield crowd for both their 0-0 league draw with Manchester United and a 5-1 League Cup rout of West Ham United, saying if fans were "not in the right shape, give your ticket to somebody else".

• Like 3

16 hours ago, nick76 said:

There was also an overtime ban for trains staff which caused later trains especially to be cancelled.

Now whilst i would of definitely stayed and got an Uber home if we were pressing at the end, by 85mins it was clear that there was only one winner.

Villa Park is notoriously bad to travel to/from - combine bad result/motorway problems/train problems/and stupidly late kick off times and you get empty seats at the end.

In fact you may well of seen similar scenes if we were winning comfortably at 85mins.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Every English is reactive.

FTFY but that's a different argument that's been covered before.

Edited by Wainy316

Â