Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

58 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I didn't mention City for a reason and Liverpool is not what it's cracked up to be, but it's still better than us unless we're winning imo.

But not according to Klopp who has been vocal how bad they are if things are going well.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I am not privvy to thousands of fans calling it out in a game, maybe you have better evidence of that than me.

I am always encouraged by the fans trying to lift the team, I heard it on "Villa On tour" at 0-2 down, from the Holte end.

The drop off is quite significant, to me.....and clinging to what we have done during the season, is tantamount to denial.

Let’s all have a good moan tomorrow then. That should help. 

I was at the same ground as you for the last two games and the atmosphere was poor when we went behind in my opinion.  All I could hear was the away fans throughout. Maybe I’m too far from the Holte End.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

What evidence exactly? The only real evidence you could really provide is running stats. Some podcaster saying "where's the PASSION" is not evidence.

It's just outcome bias in my eyes because we're conceding. Yeah, midfield lost their runners on the break because their decision-making might have been poor and Chelsea broke through the lines with the press, but it's not because "we're not competing". Maybe out-thought sure.

Regardless, the players respond better to a good atmosphere. I'm sure we can all agree on that 🙂 They're not robots.

Spot on.

I haven’t seen a lack of effort. They’ve just come across better teams on the day and have also failed to take chances or good opportunities. To suggest they are ‘not competing’ is unfair in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

What evidence exactly? The only real evidence you could really provide is running stats. Some podcaster saying "where's the PASSION" is not evidence.

It's just outcome bias in my eyes because we're conceding. Yeah, midfield lost their runners on the break because their decision-making might have been poor and Chelsea broke through the lines with the press, but it's not because "we're not competing". Maybe out-thought sure.

Regardless, the players respond better to a good atmosphere. I'm sure we can all agree on that 🙂 They're not robots.

That was a bit of a throw away comment, wasn't it?

I am not proposing to watch the game for you....you have your opinions, and they are different to mine on this issue.

If you can't see the gaps, between our players and theirs, when we are under threat, or notice us being second to loose balls, I can't help you.....In contrast today, Everton showed a resolute, dogged performance in keeping Man City at bay for 70 mins.....there was clear evidence in that game, how it is done....sure they lost, but it wasn't without a bucket load of effort.

We was 2-0 up at Man U, why did we not employ a more resolute approach, to the second half.... was we expecting to score more, away at Old Trafford.

Look, my point is, and lets not drift in to strawman territory.....we need to be more resolute, in our play.

PS We garnered some praiseworthy results and performances behind closed doors during Covid, so lets not resort to scraping the barrel, for reasons to our drop off, by citing the Atmosphere in the ground, thats just desperate.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s all have a good moan tomorrow then. That should help. 

I was at the same ground as you for the last two games and the atmosphere was poor when we went behind in my opinion.  All I could hear was the away fans throughout. Maybe I’m too far from the Holte End.

VLV I don't think anyone is suggesting that...but its derived from disappoinment and Frustration....if you have a pill for it, I am interested.

Some fans are quiet in their emotions, and others Loud....its personalities, and every fan base has diversity......Some sing, some are studiously silent, etc.

I don't feel I have the right, to condemn any fan from their disappointment, just like in contrast should I despise OTT celebration.....Folk react to results, personally.

I think moaning as you put it, is a reaction, not a pre-determined stance.

Expectation is another, intangible, that gets aired, when we are flying, and some of that is debatable.

I do confess, I was only at the Newcastle game.....my mood was tainted, sufficiently to abstain from the cup game, but suffice to say, I expected the performance....as sad as I feel about that....I was hoping to be wrong, and regret my decision.

I think if you are right, and the noise has dipped, its the ease in which we concede, ( performance) is the nucleus of the frustration/disappointment.....We are one of the top scorers in the league, so coming back from 0-2 down, was feasible.....but not with the spirit, we showed, we wasn't, and the crowd knew that......They are not daft.

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Spot on.

I haven’t seen a lack of effort. They’ve just come across better teams on the day and have also failed to take chances or good opportunities. To suggest they are ‘not competing’ is unfair in my opinion. 

What does that mean?, its a bit nebulous.....do you mean the one that Wolves tore a strip off a few days earlier or the one that failed to win in the last 6, bar us.....come on.

I think there has been umpteen references in stills by podcasters, to suggest just that.....However, I don't need their proof, I can see it for myself.

Allowing teams undue space, is not competing....failing to stop willing runners, in midfield , is not competing.......failure to close down, the first goal scorer with any conviction, is not competing, failing to challenge for headers in the box, is not competing

Unai's face wasn't thunder for nothing.

Come on VLV

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Almost as if one of our star players might have some insight into how to help the team

Yes, he is right.....but we need the players bouncing too, even more.

Remember, the wins, behind closed doors.......don't look for excuses.

I know I shouldn't post this because I have been attacked for sticking up for the fans in the past on Twitter, but this does really grind my gears a bit. Villa fans do support their side, they just do, and to say otherwise is just not true. They will show their irritation if they feel that players are not putting in the effort or giving everything to turn games around. This is the same for all home crowds around the country, Villa is no different. IMO it is up to the players to perform, after all they are the one's being paid to play not the one's paying to watch football. I know that when it is your own club it always seems to be that your own fans are terrible, but that just isn't true. So my message to the Villa players and staff is do your best, do everything you can to win the game , and the Villa faithful will back you 100%.

• Like 3

pretty much sums up the whole debate. Seems the solution for a lot of our fans is to just keep things as they are and the atmosphere will suddenly improve. Might have been easier to build an atmosphere in the days when most fans were local hard working people who could let their hair down, enjoy a day out with their mates and have a drink or two. These days you’re not going to get a family of four, some random tourists and a coy tech guy on a six figure salary giving it the big’un unprompted. Our approach has to adapt. Or just do nothing and remain a library. 

FWIW I don’t think our atmosphere is any worse than any of the other teams of our stature. They all suck. It’s a symptom of the glorious “modern game”. 

• Like 1

I had the misfortune of standing in front of one of the most miserable gits ever v Chelsea. Every word out of his gob was either F or negative. If I didn't have my lad with me I would have turned round and told him to STFU. 

I know we were shit for 80 mins but if all you can think of is negative then maybe football isn't for you... I'm glad I won't have to see or hear him again. 

With regards to the atmosphere, it's always been average to poor, especially when losing. 100 effort from the players will normally make a difference but v Newcastle and Chelsea I didnt see that, we were second to everything and very sloppy

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I had the misfortune of standing in front of one of the most miserable gits ever v Chelsea. Every word out of his gob was either F or negative

For once, I sat in front of the most optimistic, positive Villa fan ever on Wednesday. In the second half, at 3-0 down, he kept  saying “I don’t know why people are leaving, one goal were right back in this” and “this is a good game this”. He just got sadly more quiet as the game went on then towards the end he piped up  “win on Sunday, we’ll all forget this”. 

Fair play that man (and he’s right about the last bit).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

If that is correct (always two sides to a story) that is the biggest sin the club have commited in my opinion,including the badge/north stand f ups. 

• Sad 1

After going to almost every home and away game last season, being back in Asia means I have to watch on TV this season and I have to say VP seems very quiet.

It may be where the mics are, but apart from the occasional allez, alllez (if we are winning) and the odd yippee ayee (at the start) in a few games, you can't hear the Holte at all. 

The last few games the only sound has been the away fans.

The fact Ollie has mentioned the crowd shows that it's clearly something the players are aware of. More noise is needed from our fans.

Edited by GlobalVillan

1 hour ago, GlobalVillan said:

After going to almost every home and away game last season, being back in Asia means I have to watch on TV this season and I have to say VP seems very quiet.

It may be where the mics are, but apart from the occasional allez, alllez (if we are winning) and the odd yippee ayee (at the start) in a few games, you can't hear the Holte at all. 

The last few games the only sound has been the away fans.

The fact Ollie has mentioned the crowd shows that it's clearly something the players are aware of. More noise is needed from our fans.

Not really an excuse but it feels like we have played a lot of 2pm Sunday games which is always poor for atmosphere

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not really an excuse but it feels like we have played a lot of 2pm Sunday games which is always poor for atmosphere

Defo. We played loads of em last year.

Boozing time and day absolutely makes a difference. Why friday night games are mega. 

20 hours ago, TRO said:

That was a bit of a throw away comment, wasn't it?

I am not proposing to watch the game for you....you have your opinions, and they are different to mine on this issue.

If you can't see the gaps, between our players and theirs, when we are under threat, or notice us being second to loose balls, I can't help you.....In contrast today, Everton showed a resolute, dogged performance in keeping Man City at bay for 70 mins.....there was clear evidence in that game, how it is done....sure they lost, but it wasn't without a bucket load of effort.

We was 2-0 up at Man U, why did we not employ a more resolute approach, to the second half.... was we expecting to score more, away at Old Trafford.

Look, my point is, and lets not drift in to strawman territory.....we need to be more resolute, in our play.

PS We garnered some praiseworthy results and performances behind closed doors during Covid, so lets not resort to scraping the barrel, for reasons to our drop off, by citing the Atmosphere in the ground, thats just desperate.

Surely you haven't just compared us to Everton.

We play attacking football, we leave gaps between midfield and defence and defence and Martinez. Everton set-up a low block to grind out a draw and didn't even succeed in that.

Don't condescend my understanding of football when you are advocating playing backs-against-the-wall football as a sign of effort. Absolute rubbish!

We need to be more resolute, but we play attacking football so are going to fall behind sometimes. Then we need to be resolute and play a low block? That what you're saying?

COVID was before Emery and we nearly went down. We are currently fifth with a game in hand. What are you on about???

The atmosphere needs to improve. It could take us to an even higher level. I don't even get what you're trying to say. It's just a suggested improvement.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Don't understand why they even bother. Crapped on by the club (and some fans) for years for wanting to actually make a concerted effort to improve things. Such a shame.

• Like 1

Â