Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

that simply would never happen over here. someone somewhere probably has written a book about the history of 'ultras' groups around europe and can elaborate as to why it's never caught on over here...i don't have the answer to that but i imagine if it was going to, it would've already

Culture and levels of fan power over club at a guess play a big part.

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

You mean like virtually every single ultras group/curva in the... SPL...

This is an interesting point. What makes the difference where fan/ultra groups have had success in the UK? Where perhaps fan/wider culture and fan power are more similar to our situation. Which fanbases have groups closer to what you see in Europe? How did they come about and get to where they are?

Googled UK ultras and on the first page is this article about Arsenal's new fan group. Worth a read about how the group has gained prominance, particularly how they've been facilitated by the club.

Also a really important point a few have made here is in the article:

Over the last year or so, it has not been uncommon for Arteta and his players to gush over how noisy, how passionate, how ardent the Emirates has become. Inside the club, there is a sincere belief that the raucous atmosphere is a cause, rather than a consequence, of the team’s surge in form.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

Culture and levels of fan power over club at a guess play a big part.

This is an interesting point. What makes the difference where fan/ultra groups have had success in the UK? Where perhaps fan/wider culture and fan power are more similar to our situation. Which fanbases have groups closer to what you see in Europe? How did they come about and get to where they are?

It’s hard for me to say why it’s happened in Scotland and not so much England, but just look at Celtic’s Green Brigade (and, I’ll have to admit, Rangers too.) You’ll see it on a smaller scale at other clubs around the SPL as well. Very good. So much so that I’d rather go to almost any SPL game before a (non-Villa) PL game. 

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Saw that earlier. Love, love, love Villa fans so 8 out of 10? Their scoring system is a bit off.

Don't want fans to enjoy coming to Villa Park tbh, I'd much rather they hate every second of it and then bugger off home.

• Like 2

Pretty good review if you ask me. The atmosphere was flat on Saturday, and it often is if we’re honest. 

The fact they have Newcastle at number one tells me they know what they’re doing, easily the best away day experience I’ve had earlier this season, despite getting battered on the pitch.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Pretty good review if you ask me. The atmosphere was flat on Saturday, and it often is if we’re honest. 

The fact they have Newcastle at number one tells me they know what they’re doing, easily the best away day experience I’ve had earlier this season, despite getting battered on the pitch.

Newcastle has always been a weird one for me, they are the extremes of what we talk about VP.  Over the decades for me visiting they have been one of the loudest, other times deathly quiet or really toxic.  My favourite away day there was 96-97 when Yorkie scored a hat trick but we still lost 4-3 but a fabulous atmosphere from both set of fans that day.  They are a great set of fans when things are going well like the Keegan years and earlier this season but in their poorer years they fluctuate between both ends of the spectrum on support.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Newcastle has always been a weird one for me, they are the extremes of what we talk about VP.  Over the decades for me visiting they have been one of the loudest, other times deathly quiet or really toxic.  My favourite away day there was 96-97 when Yorkie scored a hat trick but we still lost 4-3 but a fabulous atmosphere from both set of fans that day.  They are a great set of fans when things are going well like the Keegan years and earlier this season but in their poorer years they fluctuate between both ends of the spectrum on support.

Yeah I was thinking beyond atmosphere, the away concourse was really good, food was top notch, staff were good and friendly, the seats are great with tons of leg space and a great view of both the match and the city skyline, oh and plenty of free parking nearby too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah I was thinking beyond atmosphere, the away concourse was really good, food was top notch, staff were good and friendly, the seats are great with tons of leg space and a great view of both the match and the city skyline, oh and plenty of free parking nearby too.

City Centre stadiums are where its at really.  Millennium Stadium Cardiff is a class day out too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My bad! Understood

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Forget comparing VT with other grounds. Compare it with how we know Villa Park can be. 

Ive noticed it’s starting to improve the last few games. 

I don’t think it’s been too bad, or as toxic or quiet as some have said on VT.  

Many of those saying it’s been poor are only speaking on what they’ve seen watching on tv and seems placement of mic issue.  

Those that think it’s been quiet have been sitting in traditional quiet parts of the ground and we’ve never been a whole ground chanting club, as long as I can remember.  

Some have complained about toxic individuals around them.  

So those with genuine beef understand we’ve had two years of poor home form, bizarre regular quick comebacks by opposition where the team have collapsed on a number of occasions.  

We had a toxic manager which grated many of the fans and the players couldn’t pass wind never mind the ball.  

Now we have an elite manager who’s playing a complete new way and it initially made fans nervous playing from the back given the players who are doing it.  

Fans are getting used to it and you tell that but the overeaction on this thread is bizarre sometimes….we’ve been beaten as fans for so long, it just takes time to change that mindset but I think the home crowd have been more supportive than the team has given back over recent seasons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think it’s been too bad, or as toxic or quiet as some have said on VT.  

Many of those saying it’s been poor are only speaking on what they’ve seen watching on tv and seems placement of mic issue.  

Those that think it’s been quiet have been sitting in traditional quiet parts of the ground and we’ve never been a whole ground chanting club, as long as I can remember.  

Some have complained about toxic individuals around them.  

So those with genuine beef understand we’ve had two years of poor home form, bizarre regular quick comebacks by opposition where the team have collapsed on a number of occasions.  

We had a toxic manager which grated many of the fans and the players couldn’t pass wind never mind the ball.  

Now we have an elite manager who’s playing a complete new way and it initially made fans nervous playing from the back given the players who are doing it.  

Fans are getting used to it and you tell that but the overeaction on this thread is bizarre sometimes….we’ve been beaten as fans for so long, it just takes time to change that mindset but I think the home crowd have been more supportive than the team has given back over recent seasons.

i've seen this a lot and people are equating said toxic individuals with bad atmosphere

last few games at least things have been fine and fans around me have been much more patient

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nick76 said:

I remember watching that game on TV, didn't we have two goals disallowed too? I'm sure one of them was legit and should have stood?!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I remember watching that game on TV, didn't we have two goals disallowed too? I'm sure one of them was legit and should have stood?!

Yep Yorkie scored a fourth from memory but I could be wrong but I think that’s right, just ruled out.

• Like 1

Â