Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

8 minutes ago, wedge said:

How was it today?

Good at the beginning, went a bit flat with the game but never v negative. Last 10 mins and after final whistle was good.

Somebody finally won the half time ‘prize where it lies’ competition which even got a cheer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Where I was in the Holte it wasn’t negative at all. Started really good, went a little quiet in the first half which reflected the nothingness of the game.  No booing.  Better second half before the goal and then good and excellent for the final ten minutes and especially after the second goal.  Loads of Emery singing, along with a great McGinn rendition and obviously 1982 song is always popular.  So apart from a bit flat mid to late first half it was good imo.  Not bouncing until the end but very good second half.

Good to hear, it needs to be absolutely cauldron-like next Saturday for the Geordies, like a Small Heath home game, wish it was 5:30pm KO rather than 12:30pm but we all just need to start drinking earlier to reflect that!! 😛

• Like 1

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Good at the beginning, went a bit flat with the game but never v negative. Last 10 mins and after final whistle was good.

Somebody finally won the half time ‘prize where it lies’ competition which even got a cheer.

It's an absolutely ridiculous compo and very tight of the club. I think thats the first time I've ever seen anyone get near winning anything. 

4 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It's an absolutely ridiculous compo and very tight of the club. I think thats the first time I've ever seen anyone get near winning anything. 

its better than taking penalties against that nonce in a Lion outfit 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

its better than taking penalties against that nonce in a Lion outfit 

That's a good shout tbh. Both compos are pretty poor. I did enjoy the knee slide from the lad that won it though. Shame he won the years supply of Monster instead of the Heineken. He's going to spend the next 12 months off his head. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, nick76 said:

Where I was in the Holte it wasn’t negative at all. Started really good, went a little quiet in the first half which reflected the nothingness of the game at that point.  No booing.  Acceptance of the play.  Better second half before the goal and then good and excellent for the final ten minutes and especially after the second goal.  Loads of Emery chants, along with a great McGinn rendition and obviously 1982 song is always popular.  So apart from a bit flat mid to late first half it was good imo.  Not bouncing until the end but very good second half.

Mcginn song came good on TV too so it was either nice and loud or the mics were in the right place. 

From the TV too, sounded very patient, especially for a dull game. No booing and even when it was dross in the first half, no exasperation as we kept the ball. 

• Like 2

No sighs when we had the ball over half way and it's played back to the keeper. The reasons for this are people now know there is thought and tactics behind it rather than when we used to do it and the result was an aimless hoof from the keeper.

Just like the players, us fans are learning the emery ways and are sold on it.

I have no doubt the crowd will be 90% or more, positive in our home games now, compared to possibly 50/ 50 previously. That's a great thing as instead of booing when we are having an off day, fans are more accepting of it and more likely to start encouraging chants.

When things are crap fans express the crapness in the only way they can but emery just like deano, has bought a feel good factor back to villa Park.

• Like 3

I think there’s an expectation too now that we’ve put together some good moves from the back. I think a lot of the consternation from before was useless possession (Smith and then Gerrard). Now the fans know Unai’s system has put together sweeping moves starting from the back so there’s less pressure when the ball cycles between Emi, Mings, and Konsa. Even the fans are waiting for the opponents to come and press and when they don’t (like Forest and Bournemouth refused to do), the fans also have an attitude of, “Go on then, come and get it.” 

Now admittedly, we haven’t been behind in a lot of these matches so I’m sure the atmosphere would be different if it were but there’s still been lots of improvement from the groaning over the back passes. 

18 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

A years worth of Monster drink he won. 

Probably won't be capable of kicking a ball in 12 months time. Heart shot from excess caffeine, weighing in at 200lbs and riddled with diabetes😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

It's an absolutely ridiculous compo and very tight of the club. I think thats the first time I've ever seen anyone get near winning anything

To be fair they never seem to pick anybody that has ever kicked a ball before.  Game after game I’ve never seen such awful kicks whether the half way line comp or the penalty comp the participants are useless.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

To be fair they never seem to pick anybody that has ever kicked a ball before.  Game after game I’ve never seen such awful kicks whether the half way line comp or the penalty comp the participants are useless.

More often than not though they slip over because the pitch is saturated at half time. It's true though most look like they've never kicked a ball before.  

• Like 1

You can see the improvement in patience for sure, however some fans are still a bit OTT, a guy near me yday was saying he hated leon bailey and when he got injured saying he hopes its for a while. I like Traore and am happy for him to be given more game time, but i thought that was uneccessary tbh! Bailey hasnt been the most consistent for us and definitely not going the way at villa that he would want either, but he has scored some important goals for us this season that have directly contributed to our points haul.

I think the next thing will be to value our squad as a whole, even those who we might outgrow over the next few seasons. I went to the Leicester away game midweek and obviously the atmosphere was much better their being amongst the away fans, however villa park is what it is, its a middling ground in terms of atmpsphere imo, plenty of grounds that are better and plenty that are worse. We have always been one of those "decent" clubs and seem to always have had a large family friendly atmosphere, with a lot of people in public life supporting us, now and in previous times.

In that sense villa is quite establishement and is never going to have this partisan hatred, us and them mentality that clubs like Leeds have

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

however some fans are still a bit OTT, a guy near me yday was saying he hated leon bailey and when he got injured saying he hopes its for a while.

You are always going to get idiots like that mate, at every ground and in every walk of life.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

a guy near me yday was saying he hated leon bailey and when he got injured saying he hopes its for a while

I doubt we have one player in the squad that doesn't want to do well for the club and their career. How can you hate that?! That dude is obviously a pathetic penis head.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You are always going to get idiots like that mate, at every ground and in every walk of life.

Not to that level, but I had a guy behind me start bitching about moving the ball around at the back rather than getting it forward quickly. As he was saying it Forest did actually try and press us. Suddenly there was space that we were able to pass through which led to the chance that Buendia hit just past the post. I thought 'well, don't you sound like a whiny prat now'.

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

Not to that level, but I had a guy behind me start bitching about moving the ball around at the back rather than getting it forward quickly. As he was saying it Forest did actually try and press us. Suddenly there was space that we were able to pass through which led to the chance that Buendia hit just past the post. I thought 'well, don't you sound like a whiny prat now'.

if i may make a case for the defence there, we were able to get behind forest a few times yesterday (including our 1st goal) as their line was quite high and whilst i'm 100% on board with emery ball, there were occasions yesterday where i thought we could've gotten it forward a bit quicker.

but around me in the holte i think most have bought into the style now. you don't feel the nervousness that you used to when playing it around the back

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

if i may make a case for the defence there, we were able to get behind forest a few times yesterday (including our 1st goal) as their line was quite high and whilst i'm 100% on board with emery ball, there were occasions yesterday where i thought we could've gotten it forward a bit quicker.

but around me in the holte i think most have bought into the style now. you don't feel the nervousness that you used to when playing it around the back

Well yes. It was more the timing for him that was deeply unfortunate!

I think tactical flexibility will become more of a thing next season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, picicata said:

Yeah isolated people and not groups of people together nevermind the crowd overall.

Â