Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

We need to make Stand by Me our anthem it’ll be epic. All together now….

”there’s only one aLex Moreno ….”

oh wait wrong one..

I've seen you post this a few times. Which 'Stand by Me'? Ben E King, Oasis? Genuine question, and may I ask why you think this? As neither seem very rousing to me. I love both by the way, just can't see how/why they'd have any positive effect? No offence intended, genuinely interested to know why🙂

3 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

I've seen you post this a few times. Which 'Stand by Me'? Ben E King, Oasis? Genuine question, and may I ask why you think this? As neither seem very rousing to me. I love both by the way, just can't see how/why they'd have any positive effect? No offence intended, genuinely interested to know why🙂

Ben e King. 

Years ago when I started going to the Villa and especially standing on the Holte End most of the singing/chanting started from the back of the Holte.

Fast forward to now, I am (64) a season ticket holder that goes to most home games (travelling from the other side of Cambridge) and I am once again in the Holte End upper. Almost all of the rear 15 odd rows people stand and watch the game rather than sit down.

I love standing its feels more "involving", I never feel cold or bored. I have sat down at many different grounds and stands at the Villa in the past and if the football I am watching, exciting or not, just feels like I am watching it passively, like on the tellybox. Whereas standing, the experience just feels different esp if the football is exciting and the players are putting in the effort you feel more "part" of the game "active" if you like - its like you are genuinely helping the team...

A couple of things though :-

1. as has been mentioned that if the players put in the effort then the crowd will get behind them but the opposite is true as the game V Stevenage...

2. I have seen many young families Mum, Dad and believe it or not their very young children, certainly under 10 and even younger taking to their seats in the Holte Ende upper, call me an old fart, but the Holte End upper is really no place for young children - I would certainly not take my grandkids there.

Bring back "Knees up Mother Brown"............I should start a campaign........

VTID

• Like 2

I bought a Claret Club Membership in the summer, one for me and one for my son (14). He hasn't been able to go to any games yet for various reasons, but mainly the lack of any Saturday 1500 kick offs. Finally, Leicester on the 4th Feb is on the horizon! I promised we would go. 

£76 for two. With trains from Shrewsbury. Some food and drinks. It's going to be £150+, easy. 

Football is pricing people out of attending and with these, quite frankly, ridiculous prices, comes a level of expectation. If I'm paying £76, I'm allowed to expect some entertainment, effort and energy, right? Villa have been absolute shite for years now. Fans are worn down. And when there is a sight of hope, we piss on our own fire, ala Stevenage. I refuse to believe this is the fans fault - we do our bit - the coaches and players just haven't done theirs recently.

53 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Villa have been absolute shite for years now. 

I'm not disagreeing or discounting anything else you said in your post Simon as I totally agree with your other sentiments but I would dispute this statement specifically. Could you say we've underachieved compared to the size and stature of our club and where we'd all like to be? Almost certainly. Have we been 'absolute s****' as you put it? I suppose it's all relative. Compared to Man City, yes we have, but compared to most I don't agree. As poor as it was how we got relegated, we got promoted within four years which was an exciting and memorable ride and have established ourselves back in the Premier League making a League Cup final appearance in 2020. I suppose it depends on age really, I'm not old enough to have seen us ply our trade in the third division, I guess I'm trying to say things could be a lot worse although we of course all hope they will get better!

Edited by wedge

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Years ago when I started going to the Villa and especially standing on the Holte End most of the singing/chanting started from the back of the Holte.

Fast forward to now, I am (64) a season ticket holder that goes to most home games (travelling from the other side of Cambridge) and I am once again in the Holte End upper. Almost all of the rear 15 odd rows people stand and watch the game rather than sit down.

I love standing its feels more "involving", I never feel cold or bored. I have sat down at many different grounds and stands at the Villa in the past and if the football I am watching, exciting or not, just feels like I am watching it passively, like on the tellybox. Whereas standing, the experience just feels different esp if the football is exciting and the players are putting in the effort you feel more "part" of the game "active" if you like - its like you are genuinely helping the team...

A couple of things though :-

1. as has been mentioned that if the players put in the effort then the crowd will get behind them but the opposite is true as the game V Stevenage...

2. I have seen many young families Mum, Dad and believe it or not their very young children, certainly under 10 and even younger taking to their seats in the Holte Ende upper, call me an old fart, but the Holte End upper is really no place for young children - I would certainly not take my grandkids there.

Bring back "Knees up Mother Brown"............I should start a campaign........

VTID

Agree with all of this delboy, however this is why I support the intentions of Project B6 and the North Stand Syndicate because as much as we should have top-drawer designated family and disabled sections within our stadia, at Villa Park in my opinion we should have designated sections for supporters of the mindset you have stated in your post, as the conflict and issues arise when there is (for want of a better phrase) cross-pollination i.e. people standing in front of fans who don't wish to etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Majority of comments on the first post look supportive actually. Even the "dOn'T mAkE iT pOLiTiCaL" stuff from Trump/Farage retweeters is at least on board with the general idea lol.

Definitely need something like this and is a shame the Brigada lot before seemed to get shut down. I think having the safe standing in at the time would have given them a chance.

Which amongst other things unfortunately makes me think the new North Stand might not be the best place for this new group. As far as I can tell they plans to introduce safe standing at VP are for other areas of the ground, not the new North.

I'm guessing that it's a group in the current North Lower behind this. I'd assume this group sprung up in part because of the incredibly cheap season tickets originally offered in this section. I get the impression the new North will be the opposite, probably one of the more "premium" areas of the stadium, and if so doesn't feel like the best place to try and locate such a group.

Hope I'm wrong as would be good to see something like this take off.

The lower north isn't cheap any more though. Same price as the upper and for that you get knee scrunching seats and shallow rakes. The sooner the stand gets flattened the better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I find it ironic that it’s now harder to get villa tickets than ever before without a ST or membership (I myself have a membership and even then it’s hard to get the sort of seat you want)  and yet the atmosphere is worse than it’s ever been. I remember 2008-2009 era - you could pick up a decent ticket the day before the match. These days, tickets are gold dust if you don’t pay extra and yet demand is so high but the atmosphere is so bad? Doesn’t add up and doesn’t make sense. 

It didn't make sense to me until I went to Tottenham away on NYD for the first time since they've had the new stadium, apart from one glorious claret and blue corner it was honestly shockingly bad. I wake up in cold sweats at night at the thought of the redeveloped VP being like that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wedge said:

It didn't make sense to me until I went to Tottenham away on NYD for the first time since they've had the new stadium, apart from one glorious claret and blue corner it was honestly shockingly bad. I wake up in cold sweats at night at the thought of the redeveloped VP being like that.

Luckily we don't get many tourists wanting to see Aston or Lozells. No half n half scarves.

We need safe standing, simple as that. There's nothing worse than being told to sit down, either by a steward or someone behind you. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Luckily we don't get many tourists wanting to see Aston or Lozells. No half n half scarves.

We need safe standing, simple as that. There's nothing worse than being told to sit down, either by a steward or someone behind you. 

Already see plenty of half n half scarves down the villa 🤮

• Sad 2

Just now, Pongo's Socks said:

Already see plenty of half n half scarves down the villa 🤮

My old man couldn't get his head around the concept when we walked past the stalls selling them by the church when attending a game recently, was quite funny.

48 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We don't, but we'd get more if we ever got to the levels we all want us to i.e Champions League football like Spurs have. 

I really don't get the concept of half n half scarves...When did it start?, .........putting on a scarf with an oppositions colours on it would make me want to wash in dettol or bleach.

What about a Villa and SMA half n half?, bet they would not sell many of them!

In the 1970's if you got seen wearing anything other than Villa colours around VP match you were liable to invite "trouble", different times thank goodness

6 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

I really don't get the concept of half n half scarves...When did it start?, .........putting on a scarf with an oppositions colours on it would make me want to wash in dettol or bleach.

In the 1970's if you got seen wearing anything other than Villa colours around VP match you were liable to invite "trouble", different times thank goodness

wool scarf round the neck, silk scarf on the wrist and a pair of monkey boots 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Is this the place to admit I bought a half and half Villa-Ajax scarf? 

I was young and stupid at the time. I must have had a sense of the historic occasion as we have yet to have such a glamour European tie since.

1 hour ago, wedge said:

My old man couldn't get his head around the concept when we walked past the stalls selling them by the church when attending a game recently, was quite funny.

We saw a bloke there selling half n half coutinho scarves at the Liverpool game Boxing Day. My 9 year old said top of his voice 'who'd buy that rubbish', bloke selling them looked annoyed, but not as much as the two girls behind us who were both wearing them😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Its very common in Germany at the cup final to have half and half scarves

Â