Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

To be perfectly honest I think the atmosphere at VP has always been a little hit or miss, going right back to the 70’s and even the 80’s.

However I remember going to Roker park and was waiting in anticipation of the famous Roker roar and to be honest, it was more like the Brummie road on a bad day - Also the first time I went to Anfield again in anticipation of hearing the kop in full voice, only to be very disappointed - so I feel that this happens at most clubs, some games electric, others not so good.

As for the entitled bit - yes I think this also has a ring of truth about it - How many clubs have won the European cup after all.

We have been spoilt us fans of a certain age - also we do rightly see ourselves as the flagship of the whole midlands region, so naturally it is going to feed into this.

I don’t see this as being a bad thing - it’s expectation and so long as this doesn’t cross over into being outwardly arrogant I’m  ok with it.

On 05/02/2023 at 14:27, danceoftheshamen said:

It was a good atmosphere initially but that ridiculous mistake for their first literally killed us for 20 minutes. It was so so sloppy and typical of what this team does far too regularly. We battled back after that shock had been swallowed only to do the exact same thing again not once but twice before half time even and this having once again taken the lead, albeit somewhat fortuitously but then also somewhat deservedly having missed a couple of good chances. So I am not surprised there was a frustrated reaction from the crowd. It was so typical of this team. Doing all the hard work but then repeatedly making amateurish errors fit for a Sunday League pub team. 

For me that is what kills the atmosphere. Not the conceding of a well worked goal by the opposition but the shockingly poor way which we keep on giving them to teams. It is so demoralising as a fan to see that once, let alone twice but three & four times is frankly embarrassng.

It was a re-run of Spurs at home last season when we outplayed them and lost 0-4...all four of their shots on goal going in The only difference being we looked much more threatening and scored a couple at least. 

Spot On imo.

It has bred frustration in the crowd.....its happened too many times, over a long period and it still rears its ugly head.

I think, I can see why it happens and I don't think it will go away, with the current crop, time will tell.

PS The booing is just frustration, even though ,I don't condone it.

Edited by TRO

On 05/02/2023 at 13:44, Pinebro said:

Didn't take a long time post promotion for our fans to turn back into entitled.

we've lost 9 games this season and you think we are entitled?....anything but.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Fans shouting "kick it long" would be the same ones to shout "stop kicking it long" if we had a manager like Big Sam.

What's worse is our fans abusing our own players because they have overhit a cross or lost the ball. It happens a lot as well.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Let's hope enough people buy into their Project B6 thing and we can get VP rocking regularly.

Getting loads of abuse and personal threats on Twitter for some reason. 

Edited by El Zen

On 05/02/2023 at 16:31, El Zen said:

I swear, I was so close to having a go at a guy behind me on the Holte at the Leeds game. All game he was screaming ‘get it forward!!!!!!!!’ and then ‘ah, ya daft ****’ at our own players every time they didn’t GET IT FORWARD!!!!!!

Almost ruined the game for me.

Leicester ruined it for me...fancy coming in to our back yard, taking the ball off us and scoring 4 goals.....cheeky buggers.

Edited by TRO

On 05/02/2023 at 13:44, Pinebro said:

Didn't take a long time post promotion for our fans to turn back into entitled.

That was 4 seasons ago.😀

some 4 year olds don't even know we was promoted.

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

Leicester ruined it for me...fancy coming in to our back yard, taking the ball off us and scoring 4 goals.....cheeky buggers.

I was talking about the Leeds game, buddy 😅

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have no idea what this is.

It's an initiative to get the atmosphere improved at Villa Park, including flags and banners etc.

They're asking people to get involved but you can also look through there general Twitter activity below.

• Like 3

Its not about flag waving and the like.....its about results.....Thats what drives Atmosphere.

Villa Park, in recent times has become a nervy place, we play a kinda football, that lets the opposition, back in to the game, very easily....some call it a soft underbelly, some think its ok, and part and parcel of a mid table team, or an accepted trade off for spectacle football.

I can remember times, when Villa Park was a fortress, of sorts.....and opposing teams had to battle, to get back in......I remember, when we was hard to play against, even if we lost.

Nowadays......We lose possession very easily, and get relieved of the ball easily....this passes opposing teams the Initiative, until we muster an attacking moment, which can easily leave us wide open, on the counter attack.

This kind of activity, with the odd exception, has been with us for some time, under several managers....and IMO has affected the atmosphere at Villa Park.

The gates have never been better, in terms of consistency, but the crowd, are braced for the collapse, at any time in the game....even when we are on top, or in the ascendency.

The crowd today are highly strung, and don't really know what to expect.....This harbours doubt, which feeds frustration....and eventually bad temper, which is not a good cocktail in a 42,000 crowd.

In my mind we have landed on a specious style of football, over the last 4 years or so, which exacerbates the need to criticise the players, which is undoubtedly sad....but I think it derives from this way we play.

I don't think our crowd are intrinsically, bad, I think the nature of the unpredictable football, has them this way.

All the flag waving and noble attempts at a feel good factor, will never trump a winning or fighting spirit, from the team, as well intentioned as it is....... That aggressive tackle, that willingness to physically engage, that huge stretch for the high ball, that intensity to reach the ball first, lights the touch paper, for atmosphere.....It raises blood levels in our other players, and it spreads to the crowd.....its so contagious, its exciting and partisan.

An Aston Villa crowd, being treated by a fighting spirit, and an aggressive will to win, from the team.....is a sight to behold.

Sadly, I miss them both.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 09/02/2023 at 17:37, Wainy316 said:

It's an initiative to get the atmosphere improved at Villa Park, including flags and banners etc.

They're asking people to get involved but you can also look through there general Twitter activity below.

How very "Crystal Palace"

Â