Austin MacPhee

Strog

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I checked the official site but could find it, but I guess he is still set piece coach? Or does he have other responsibilities now under Emery, I'm not sure.

Would you say that the goals we conceded seemed to be a lack of organisation and instructions or were they more individual errors? Did't think of it myself during the game.

Lack of Tyrone Mings. Ezri and Pau just aren't the aerial duel winning type. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

It’s interesting because our players have made me realise how different a skill it is heading the ball in both boxes. I’d argue both Konsa and Torres are better at attacking the ball from corners but Mings was a monster in our own box. His positioning was (feel like I should also say IS) so good. The ball seemed to be drawn towards him like a magnet and his height and strength did the rest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" As bad as some here " ?

Half these people have no clue what they are talking about, or how to even evaluate a set piece coach.

It's just another one of those bizarre scapegoat type threads which only ever gets bumped after a loss.

I've never seen it bumped when a set piece routine has come off brilliantly etc.

It’s a genuine concern, two teams conceded less than us from set pieces last season and were the joint worst already this season with three. The term scapegoat gets thrown around too often on here 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Half these people have no clue what they are talking about, or how to even evaluate a set piece coach.

Do you know how to evaluate a set piece coach? I definitely don’t. But I know we conceded a lot from them last season and on the eye test this season we look poor again. And I wonder why that is, not a McPhee witch-hunt or scapegoating session, just a concern related to our team. 

8 hours ago, villaglint said:

It’s interesting because our players have made me realise how different a skill it is heading the ball in both boxes. I’d argue both Konsa and Torres are better at attacking the ball from corners but Mings was a monster in our own box. His positioning was (feel like I should also say IS) so good. The ball seemed to be drawn towards him like a magnet and his height and strength did the rest. 

Hause is the best example of that! he seemingly had a sheriffs badge for a head but when its in our box it doesnt matter, won so many headers but im sure OT was his only headed goal

6 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Do you know how to evaluate a set piece coach? I definitely don’t. But I know we conceded a lot from them last season and on the eye test this season we look poor again. And I wonder why that is, not a McPhee witch-hunt or scapegoating session, just a concern related to our team. 

I don't, but i know that Football is a fluid game affected by multiple, unpredictable variables at any given moment.

I feel it's almost similar blaming the medical team/physios for the injuries to to Mings and Buendia.

The most coaches can do, is prepare players/teams the best they can, then the majority of what happens on the pitch, after that, is on them.

Opinions of course mate.

• Like 1

Have said it previously but apparently it's the case that set-piece coaches often have a lot of freedom for offensive ones, but less so defensive, which is why you see the set-up when defending set-pieces change manager-by-manager, because they often have their own ideas on how it should be done. It's the one consistent criticism I've seen of Emery from various coaching, tactics etc pages, that under him we leave a lot of space to attack at the near post from corners that the likes of City, Liverpool and probably more have been able to capitalise on too easily.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Fittingly enough just seen this re: the above:

Yeah we're not picking on MacPhee just to blame him of all our set piece woes.

But it has been an issue for a long time. The set up doesn't work for our squad. It vastly improved towards the latter end of the season but we also had Mings at the time. Without Mings - we're counting on a short squad to win that front post space and it's been exploited several times in just the last few games.

We're susceptible to picks and screens with this mostly man to man set up and the refs will not call it in our favor.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

On 05/09/2023 at 23:06, Rightdm00 said:

spot on.....maybe a new shiny one, in Jan would help.

11 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Yeah we're not picking on MacPhee just to blame him of all our set piece woes.

But it has been an issue for a long time. The set up doesn't work for our squad. It vastly improved towards the latter end of the season but we also had Mings at the time. Without Mings - we're counting on a short squad to win that front post space and it's been exploited several times in just the last few games.

We're susceptible to picks and screens with this mostly man to man set up and the refs will not call it in our favor.

The Nunez header for their 3rd goal....showed conclusively that we are short on aerial ability.....and its not the first time, we have succumbed to this type of vulnerability.....its frustrating.

Edited by TRO

We often fall victim to these crap stats. The chances of scoring off a corner are about 1%, scoring two in a game will be really low. Like when ward prowse scored two direct free kicks v us, I looked at the data and that happens roughly once every 4000 or so games so about once every 5 seasons.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty simple with McPhee for me.

If he wasn't thorough and proving with facts his theories are worth continuing with, Emery would have him out on his ear.

We do look shaky at times from set-pieces... because the guy who headed away about 80% of them isn't there any more.

• 3 weeks later...
Â