Mario Hermoso

MadridVilla

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Selling Mings now would be insane, even if we get another CB. We miss him so much back there, especially with crosses and set pieces.

It would also likely be impossible. Who's buying a defender that's been injured for a year and hasn't played a game. 

• Like 4

I still believe if Mings hadn’t done his ACL in the first game of the season Unai was going to play Pau at LB with Mings at LCB for his physicality. I think we’d have offloaded Digne too. 

Anyway on topic I don’t know much about Hermoso but on a free it’s low risk replacement for Lenglet. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly. He can play as the central of a 3 or a left side of a 3. He's also right CB of a back 3 a few times for Atletico. 

I can see plenty of combinations with 5 CBs

Hermoso, Pau, Mings, Konsa, Carlos. 

The one I'm curious about here is Carlos, as I think we might look to get somebody a bit more aerially dominant than him. Hermoso isn't that, but he'll be a good option to replace Lenglet and rotate with Konsa and Pau. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

The one I'm curious about here is Carlos, as I think we might look to get somebody a bit more aerially dominant than him. Hermoso isn't that, but he'll be a good option to replace Lenglet and rotate with Konsa and Pau. 

Yes if we let Carlos go we'll bring in a replacement that's for sure. Either way it's not a particularly important one. Carlos is very capable

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I still believe if Mings hadn’t done his ACL in the first game of the season Unai was going to play Pau at LB with Mings at LCB for his physicality. I think we’d have offloaded Digne too. 

Anyway on topic I don’t know much about Hermoso but on a free it’s low risk replacement for Lenglet. 

I think Emery has been toying around with a CB at full back since he first came here. I'm also convinced his preferred lineup was Konsa at RB and not Cash. Our CB injuries and Cash starting the season well delayed that.

It's definitely a formation he likes

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Emery has been toying around with a CB at full back since he first came here. I'm also convinced his preferred lineup was Konsa at RB and not Cash. Our CB injuries and Cash starting the season well delayed that.

It's definitely a formation he likes

Barring any injuries this season would his go to backline be Konsa-Mings-Pau-Moreno?

22 hours ago, useless said:

Hermoso would be Lenglet replacementt, Mings will get a lot of game time if his injury hasn't affected him too much, as we will play a lot of games with Pau and Mings in central defence, and Konsa as a right-back

Who was lenglet brought in to replace then?!😂

Hermoso is a starter for Atletico and plays CL with them. He's not coming here to play backup to Pau.

He can play CB or LB and has played mainly in a back 3. I think the idea is that we can use him at LB when we play an attacking RB and basically reverse the set up we currently use.

Konsa, Pau, Hermoso is likely going to be the core and then take your pick as to which side you want to use a full back on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

7 pages. Are the links that strong ?

Thread started 2021...had no idea we'd been linked to him for that long 😀

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I am not keen on this at all, end of the day the wage will be enormous and the lad turns 29 in the summer under the backdrop of us also having two 31 year old centre backs. It's just not sensible business.

You can't get rid of mings because of the injury and there is little point selling him once he has proven himself physically capable again due to age so he is here till his career ends or contract ends leaving you with 3 left footed centre backs, 27,29,31.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

FBRef stats FYI:

Screenshot-20240506-114739-Chrome.jpg

@Zatman are those passing stats really worse than all our CBs?

Edit: NVM, I see you said last season.

His passing stats are pretty decent.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I am not keen on this at all, end of the day the wage will be enormous and the lad turns 29 in the summer under the backdrop of us also having two 31 year old centre backs. It's just not sensible business.

You can't get rid of mings because of the injury and there is little point selling him once he has proven himself physically capable again due to age so he is here till his career ends or contract ends leaving you with 3 left footed centre backs, 27,29,31.

Okay lets play little Josh Finney and Bogarde at CB, because Paul514 thinks 29-32 year old is too old to be playing football 🤣

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Only thing I would say about him is that he is a proper nob-head of a player. Does really dumb angry sh*t on the regular. Similarly to when we were linked to Acuna. Not exactly sure we need him tbh but fine to replace Lenglet I guess.

Â