Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Genuinely a new signing. My excitement levels of Leon are back to what they were the day we signed him. 

That's the beauty of signing foreign players. We get the triple excitement. First the signing. Then when they show some glimpses after a bit rusty start. Then right at the second season after they have adjusted to the league and had a whole pre season :)

People wrote him off way too early, which is bizarre given that he showed what he could do in some glimpses early last season, especially against Everton when he single-handedly won the game in about 15 minutes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Let's just see where he is in five games time to see if he actually is all that....

Players such as Bailey need certain ways to use, otherwise you’ll not get the biggest benefit out of them. 
Look at Grealish, with us as he did whatever he wanted he had success, but with City because he’s not the best and can’t keep the ball as much as he wants…eytf he didn’t flourish. Same with Benteke at Liverpool. Certain players you need to give them some freedom especially higher up the pitch. Some gets bad when they’re limited tactically. 

• Like 4

So I watched the video with Craig and the Jamaican yotubers.

I'll admit, it worried me a little.

Some parts of it i guess he used " patois " and people might not have caught all of what he was saying.

I'm not worried about Leon at all, it's Craig Butler i'm now worried about, which i guess affects Leon as a bi product.

In quick summary:

- Leon got injured because the JFF ( Jamaican Football Federation ) put him on an economy flight then had him play almost immediately

- Spoke about Arjen Robbens injury record, then went into parables and mentioned a Bible verse

- Leon has been injury free for the vast majority of his career.

- Said that there was adaptation time, and that the " types of cold " in Belgium, Germany and England were different.

- Said English Coaches generally don't know how to use creative players.

- Gerrard was a hardworking midfielder and a person he has alot of respect for, so him/Deano were probably expecting the same from Leon but by doing that you nullify his qualities.

- " What happens If you put a trailer load in a Ferrari? It breaks down or the wheels will spin until it's burnt out and go no where. A Ferrari is designed to go fast, take corners and destroy opposition '

- Claims Leon only for started getting used correctly after he had to make a phone call saying " Obviously you signed the wrong player etc " 🙄

- Says Leon is a very nice, quiet humble lad, and he isn't, so it's not Leon's job to talk back to or disrespect his coach and peers etc, it's HIS job.

I'm sure I've missed some stuff but he speaks in parables .

Fair play for him protecting " his son " and player etc.... But he can't run his career. He risks running his relationships and career by being WAY too involved 🤦🏿‍♂️

Aside from say his IG persona, around the club Leon does seem like a good kid who is well liked by the players.

You wonder if for example he has a very good season. Craig will start causing problems.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some parts of it i guess he used " patois " and people might not have caught all of what he was saying.

I'm not worried about Leon at all, it's Craig Butler i'm now worried about, which i guess affects Leon as a bi product.

In quick summary:

- Leon got injured because the JFF ( Jamaican Football Federation ) put him on an economy flight then had him play almost immediately

- Spoke about Arjen Robbens injury record, then went into parables and mentioned a Bible verse

- Said that there was adaptation time, and that the " types of cold " in Belgium, Germany and England were different.

- Gerrard was a hardworking midfielder and a person he has alot of respect for, so him/Deano were probably expecting the same from Leon but by doing that you nullify his qualities.

- " What happens If you put a trailer load in a Ferrari? It breaks down or the wheels will spin until it's burnt out and go no where. A Ferrari is designed to go fast, take corners and destroy opposition '

- Claims Leon only for started getting used correctly after he had to make a phone call saying " Obviously you signed the wrong player etc " 🙄

- Says Leon is a very nice, quiet humble lad, and he isn't, so it's not Leon's job to talk back to or disrespect his coach and peers etc, it's HIS job.

Fair play for him protecting " his son " and player etc.... But he can't run his career. He risks running his relationships and career by being WAY too involved 🤦🏿‍♂️

Aside from say his IG persona, around the club Leon does seem like a good kid who is well liked by the players.

You wonder if for example he has a very good season. Craig will start causing problems.

I got from this that Craig Butler thinks Gerrard is a clown

I think he speaks sense, for me is a good egg

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I got from this that Craig Butler thinks Gerrard is a clown

I think he speaks sense, for me is a good egg

I mean, he was also referring to Dean Smiths time but ok... lol

I'm not shocked that's what you got from it at all though haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean, he was also referring to Dean Smiths time but ok... lol

I'm not shocked that's what you got from it at all though haha

He was available for 5 games under Smith who allowed him to rest up when injured

Its so clear he wasnt fit for last 6 months and he was starting  under Gerrard. The Wolves game I think it was that he shouldnt have played and looked like a player that was injured and forced to play

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was available for 5 games under Smith who allowed him to rest up when injured

Its so clear he wasnt fit for last 6 months and he was starting  under Gerrard. The Wolves game I think it was that he shouldnt have played and looked like a player that was injured and forced to play

Particular Managers aside mate, I just think it's a slippery slope to be publicly and directly be so involved in the players affairs.

I remember being one who rubbished people saying it was a bit strange etc as he was just very proud and so on.

However actually seems a bit full of himself and i dread what happens if Leon has a blockbuster season.

Leon is the one who would probably look bad and get pelters for " character " but the orchestrator in chief  very much appears to be Butler.

Don't get me wrong, he KNOWS his football, that's not the part i'm a bit concerned about.

It's behind the scenes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Particular Managers aside mate, I just think it's a slippery slope to be publicly and directly be so involved in the players affairs.

I remember being one who rubbished people saying it was a bit strange etc as he was just very proud and so on.

However actually seems a bit full of himself and i dread what happens if Leon has a blockbuster season.

Leon is the one who would probably look bad and get pelters for " character " but the orchestrator in chief  very much appears to be Butler.

Don't get me wrong, he KNOWS his football, that's not the part i'm a bit concerned about.

It's behind the scenes.

I think Butler is a good man who has a big heart and knows his football. He is a bit too honest but you know its something thats needed in football instead of Yes men that exist in Sky football system and we have some at Villa

I dont see the problem that he wants his son playing in team that plays good football, we all want the same thing

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In quick summary:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Said that there was adaptation time, and that the " types of cold " in Belgium, Germany and England were different.

Sounds like bullshit but its not, England has a wet horrible biting cold that gets in to your bones that is different to what I've experienced in europe, its a depressing cold 

That's not the reason for what happened last season but I don't think adaption to England (or the PL) should be written off just because he's come from the bundesliga 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Butler is a good man who has a big heart and knows his football. He is a bit too honest but you know its something thats needed in football instead of Yes men that exist in Sky football system and we have some at Villa

I dont see the problem that he wants his son playing in team that plays good football, we all want the same thing

Bailey ain’t a kid playing Sunday league where his dad can angry with the manager for not playing him how he wants. He’s entitled to his opinions but he ain’t got a right to have a go at Baileys employers over it! 

I don’t like how the company I currently work for treat me sometimes. Shall I get my dad to have a word with them?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Sounds like bullshit but its not, England has a wet horrible biting cold that gets in to your bones that is different to what I've experienced in europe, its a depressing cold 

That's not the reason for what happened last season but I don't think adaption to England (or the PL) should be written off just because he's come from the bundesliga 

He actually did say this to be fair... He said it's a very damp cold which almost makes you feel like you can't breathe properly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Really? I would have though climate more or less the same as Germany. 

Having said that it is getting a lot milder in the UK now. Not often is it bitterly cold.  

Back on topic, really excited about Bailey this season. I got a feeling he is going to be our player of the season.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bailey ain’t a kid playing Sunday league where his dad can angry with the manager for not playing him how he wants. He’s entitled to his opinions but he ain’t got a right to have a go at Baileys employers over it! 

I don’t like how the company I currently work for treat me sometimes. Shall I get my dad to have a word with them?

So is his dad his agent?  or just a very public cheerleader for him?

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? I would have though climate more or less the same as Germany. 

Having said that it is getting a lot milder in the UK now. Not often is it bitterly cold.  

Back on topic, really excited about Bailey this season. I got a feeling he is going to be our player of the season.

to be fair germany is a big place with a varying climate but leverkusen is 30 mins up the road from me and on the rhine which by most accounts has its own special climate

no its different, we dont have much drizzle or light rain here, when it rains it properly rains so we probably have the same annual rainfall but when they class it as wet days (more than 1cm rainfall in a day) we have less, it rarely snows but when it does we get that good snow rather than the wet horrible stuff england gets, there's not as much moisture in the air, its also warmer, the 35-40 degrees england had a few weeks back we get that every summer, its surprising how much better the weather is 

what @JAMAICAN-VILLAN said about when you try and play football in the english cold weather and that air hits your lungs and it burns and take your breathe away, i know exactly what he means 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â