Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

14 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO,Bailey and Buendia must start.

There is no way Coutinho won't start for us. And rightly so IMO.

But, I don't think you can get Coutinho, Bailey and Buendia on the pitch at the same time without leaving us exposed in midfield. 

If we sign another top class defensive midfielder, I think we could manage it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But, I don't think you can get Coutinho, Bailey and Buendia on the pitch at the same time without leaving us exposed in midfield. 

The 5-sub rule will make it much easier to rotate attacking talent anyway. Means you can use 3 subs for mid-game tactical changes, and then you still have 2 for injury/fitness cover later in the game. Also makes sense given Bailey and Coutinho's injury histories to rotate them.

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I suppose it might work if you have Luiz and Kamara holding it might work, but we might still be a bit weaker on the flanks. Could work against weaker, hard to break down opposition though 

57 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Bailey is the wrong player for Bournemouth. 

I'd go with Coutinho Watkins and Ings. 

Whaaat? Really? Why?

I'd never go for Watkins and Ings playing together for any match ever.

Bailey would scare the shit out of Bournemouth if he plays like he did against Man Utd (in the friendly).

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Bailey is the wrong player for Bournemouth. 

I'd go with Coutinho Watkins and Ings. 

I have a feeling you're saying this so you can just defend the manager if he picks it. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Interesting that 2nd half v Utd, without Coutinho we blistered them.

I think the 5 subs rule eases the pressure off players and managers alike. Everyone will get playing time and they might enjoy the added rest.

Coutinho deserves to start as we begin the season. It's psychologically important for him to feel elevated. If he's ineffective, we can sub him off under the sort of guise that we're keeping the team fresh.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

If Bailey is the wrong player for Bournemouth, when would he ever be the right player? Of all the games, that's probably the only one where I'd say it's safe to try Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia together.

Baffling comment. Dont think I could name a Bournemouth defender and they will be perfect to counter attack

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Baffling comment. Dont think I could name a Bournemouth defender and they will be perfect to counter attack

Counter attack?  That would imply we are sitting back.  I don't think that will be the case.  It will be Bournemouth sitting back and trying to counter us.  We will have 60% possession in this match.  Bailey suits this game perfectly imo.  I just wonder whether SG will use Coutinho or Buendia?

1 minute ago, ejs1111 said:

Counter attack?  That would imply we are sitting back.  I don't think that will be the case.  It will be Bournemouth sitting back and trying to counter us.  We will have 60% possession in this match.  Bailey suits this game perfectly imo.  I just wonder whether SG will use Coutinho or Buendia?

First day of the season at home Bournemouth will be up for it and probably attacking from the first 20 minutes with a crowd behind them. Would be perfect conditions for Bailey

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I have a feeling you're saying this so you can just defend the manager if he picks it. 

Unlike the majority of people who post on VT my statement is based on tactics for this particular game.

Bournemouth will look to defend deep and hit us on the break. We'll likely dominate possession and Bailey's talents are his pace and the width he holds. Pace is at its best on the counter. I also don't think the narrow 10s work against teams who will sit back and pack the space in front of goal. So it's best to go with two split forwards and one 10 for the game. Bailey and Buendia off the bench can be potent threats now we can do 5 subs.

So for Bournemouth I'd go for Coutinho, Watkins and Ings up top. 

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

If Bailey is the wrong player for Bournemouth, when would he ever be the right player? Of all the games, that's probably the only one where I'd say it's safe to try Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia together.

As state in my post above, games where his pace and the width will be assets. So away games against the top 8 or 10 teams. Games against the big six. Now we have players like Carlos and Kamara who are accurate with their long passes we can counter quickly and play over the high press the top teams do. This is exactly how Bailey should be used. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Unlike the majority of people who post on VT my statement is based on tactics for this particular game.

Bournemouth will look to defend deep and hit us on the break. We'll likely dominate possession and Bailey's talents are his pace and the width he holds. Pace is at its best on the counter. I also don't think the narrow 10s work against teams who will sit back and pack the space in front of goal. So it's best to go with two split forwards and one 10 for the game. Bailey and Buendia off the bench can be potent threats now we can do 5 subs.

So for Bournemouth I'd go for Coutinho, Watkins and Ings up top. 

That's fair, as I don't know anything about Bournemouths playing style or players, I couldn't comment.

I still hope he starts obviously, but if it's from a tactical perspective I might understand it.

He can then come on at a later stage and hopefully tear them a new one.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That's fair, as I don't know anything about Bournemouths playing style or players, I couldn't comment.

I still hope he starts obviously, but if it's from a tactical perspective I might understand it.

He can then come on at a later stage and hopefully tear them a new one.

I think we'll see a lot of people getting annoyed that x or y isn't playing as they think we should play the same 11 players deemed to be the best week in week out and no rotation, no changes for specific opposition. Where we'll really see our squad being used a lot more now we have a deep one. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we'll see a lot of people getting annoyed that x or y isn't playing as they think we should play the same 11 players deemed to be the best week in week out and no rotation, no changes for specific opposition. Where we'll really see our squad being used a lot more now we have a deep one. 

I would agree with this, except for the fact that the manager's selections have been pretty static. Doesn't seem to really rotate depending on the opposition and has clear favourites. Which is fine, but if that's the case I think it's fair to expect certain players to play based on form.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would agree with this, except for the fact that the manager's selections have been pretty static. Doesn't seem to really rotate depending on the opposition and has clear favourites. Which is fine, but if that's the case I think it's fair to expect certain players to play based on form.

Well that's not really true. He has made a lot more changes to the starting 11 last season than people think. We didn't have as much depth as we have now. Also ticking with a formation and team in the early part of his reign is good idea so players can absorb the playing style and tactics with each game.

Now he's had a pre season and a bigger squad I expect more rotation of players and changes to the team based on opposition. 

14 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well that's not really true. He has made a lot more changes to the starting 11 last season than people think. We didn't have as much depth as we have now. Also ticking with a formation and team in the early part of his reign is good idea so players can absorb the playing style and tactics with each game.

Now he's had a pre season and a bigger squad I expect more rotation of players and changes to the team based on opposition. 

Really hope this will be the case.

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He didn't really change to suit the opposition or to approach in a different way. At times it seemed because we just couldn't get things clicking or working. 

Â