Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Let's face it, he was a total panic signing after losing our best player.

Traore had a very good season last year and yet we signed Buendia and Bailey who also play right side.

Lack of planning from Villa.

Just because he scored in the Bundesliga doesn't mean he'd do well in the PL, Sancho also looks pretty average.

Didnt we sign him before Grealish left? Our board naively thought Grealish would stay until the last day hence the bizarre barbecue in London

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I think Bailey was needed. 

We needed better quality out wide let's not forget given Trez pre injury was largely huff and puff with the odd nice run and finish. AEG output was good last season but we knew he'd drift in and out of games frustratingly. 

Bailey being reasonably consistant for Leverkusen domestically and in europe and only being 23 fitted our emerging profile nicely.

Let's not forget someone like Dwight McNeill was being seriously linked this time last year. Decent player on his day but he's barely started a game for Burnley in last two months so doubt him in 30m bracket would've been much better.

Smith Rowe would've been but his agent took us for a ride there.

Ings was the odd one really as we really needed a CF who could also fill in out wide like someone like Jarred Bowen does for West Ham yet we someone in late 20s with little resale value who's created so many tactical issues in final third.

Hoping with a solid pre season Bailey can come good but I don't see it in this formation under this manager tbh, he's really a 4-3-3/counter attack system player.

We needed a left sided forward, not another right sided one where we already had Buendia and Traore. 

I maintain that Bailey was a strange signing to be honest. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bailey is another I can see us dumping for peanuts and becoming a top player again elsewhere. Him and Sanson will be better in a decent setup with a real manager

Me too. 

We sign quality player for big money -> they initially look amazing and we get very excited -> form drops off -> drops off some more and we cant play them -> they leave for a big loss and start performing again.

I didnt think bailey was that good but he wasnt as bad as some suggest on here. He certainly was better than coutinho was yesterday.

I dint understand though what the hells happened to his pace? He looked slow at points yesterday. He even got beaten for pace by bloody dewbury hall!

• Like 3

Feel like with the position we are in, he doesn’t have time to get upto speed right now. 

We need each position firing. 

He certainly looks short of confidence and for some players that’s what it’s all about. Doesn’t look like he believes in himself. Which for all the negatives I’ve said about him, I’m willing to save ultimate judgement.

But he shouldn’t be starting over buendia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Me too. 

We sign quality player for big money -> they initially look amazing and we get very excited -> form drops off -> drops off some more and we cant play them -> they leave for a big loss and start performing again.

This would suggest we don’t get the best out of players due to subpar coaching and poor player development. Man U have been awful at those things for years. I wouldn’t say Villa have been nearly as bad, but things could definitely be better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

This would suggest we don’t get the best out of players due to subpar coaching and poor player development. Man U have been awful at those things for years. I wouldn’t say Villa have been nearly as bad, but things could definitely be better.

I think so, I think its the culture at the club. Maybe too comfortable, I dont know. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Bailey is another I can see us dumping for peanuts and becoming a top player again elsewhere. Him and Sanson will be better in a decent setup with a real manager

Will a decent set up and a real manager help him to hit an enormous target from 12 yards? He should have scored against Spurs and Leicester and yet he didn’t even manage to get either shot on target. Bailey has been really poor so far. He doesn’t look to have anything special in his game and he doesn’t deserve a place in the team. This is not the manager’s fault. He didn’t spend a fortune on him. Stop using every opportunity to have a go at Gerrard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Will a decent set up and a real manager help him to hit an enormous target from 12 yards? He should have scored against Spurs and Leicester and yet he didn’t even manage to get either shot on target. Bailey has been really poor so far. He doesn’t look to have anything special in his game and he doesn’t deserve a place in the team. This is not the manager’s fault. He didn’t spend a fortune on him. Stop using every opportunity to have a go at Gerrard.

15 goals last season would indicate he can hit an enormous target from 12 yards 😉

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

15 goals last season would indicate he can hit an enormous target from 12 yards 😉

How many of those were in the PL? How many goals did Sancho get last season in the same league? He’s proven to have been a total waste of money so far too. Maybe being successful in the Bundesliga is not necessarily a suitable barometer for success elsewhere.

Keep up your tirade against Gerrard though. It in no way makes you look immature. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

How many of those were in the PL? How many goals did Sancho get last season in the same league? He’s proven to have been a total waste of money so far too. Maybe being successful in the Bundesliga is not necessarily a suitable barometer for success elsewhere.

Keep up your tirade against Gerrard though. It in no way makes you look immature. 

Not what you said though. The goal is the same size in every league 😉

5 hours ago, spiezels said:

Feel like with the position we are in, he doesn’t have time to get upto speed right now. 

We need each position firing

For what? Our push for 12th? Seems like the ideal time to give players like Bailey a few games

44 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He also scored 3-4 in europa league so given that's a competition we want to be in next 2 years I'd say that's a better guide.

Pretty sure he actually scored v Rangers in the knock out rounds so I think Gerrard does want him to succeed but can't see it being in this formation tbh, he needs to stay out wide with some space to run into.

Â