Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Leon deserves a huge apology from many of us, myself very much included.

Sorry I doubted you Leon. You're not crap at all, you're bloody brilliant.

Thanks for working hard to prove us naysayers wrong.

With all due respect - why does he deserve an apology ? Let’s have this right, for whatever mitigating reason that anyone wishes to purvey, for two years he did nothing for this football club, but claim a fantastic wage.

Yes of course - he is now performing very well, and even as one of his public detractors I am happy to see this, and long may it continue.

If anyone in our squad deserves an apology - it’s Youri Tielemans. He must have thought what the heck is going on, he was trying his hardest, getting pilloried, nothing was going his way - but he never hid or shirked the challenge.

Thats my opinion anyway 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Interesting comments from Emery. I'd forgotten about that sub on-off vs Liverpool. You could imagine other players who would've taken badly to something like that and falling out with manager (cf Sancho at Utd) but Bailey clearly reacted the right way. Demonstrates both good character of Bailey and good management of Emery.

Definitely makes sense to get new contract sorted now. We'd be foolish to risk him going cheap just as he's found the way to consistency in the league and hitting peak footballing years in age

• Like 1

On 05/02/2024 at 19:39, Tomaszk said:

Perhaps a lesson to not do it in general, yes, but it was hardly quick.

He was here for two years before anything but glimpses of ability were shown.

Great it's coming now. Long may it continue.

He was very good in Emery's first game v Man. United, that was less than 18 months after signing.

I'd probably sum up his Villa career so far as this:

21/22- two decent cameos and the rest a complete write off with injuries and attempting to play a role in Slippy's "wingless wonders."

22/23- Nice goal v Man. City which was yet another Gerrard false dawn and then some very good VP goals and performances under Emery. Away form still very much a work in progress.

23/24- Took six weeks to get going but now he's a genuine threat home and away to any defence. His performance v Man. City was genuinely one of the best you'll see from an attacking player all season. He should get 10 + goals and nearly the same assists so that's pretty much his Leverkusen form and he fully deserves the new deal.

Don't think he'll go on easy street at all either which you see from plenty of players on contract extensions as he came here to play in the CL again and we're very close to achieving that now.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

Leon deserves a huge apology from many of us, myself very much included.

Sorry I doubted you Leon. You're not crap at all, you're bloody brilliant.

Thanks for working hard to prove us naysayers wrong.

Not to be smug or anything but I stuck up for him through it all , it was quite difficult for him I imagine at times people wanted to beat him with any stick they could find like the jetski incident , his attitude was never in question he had bad luck with injuries then a terrible manager in Steven Gerrard  and on top of that abuse from fans.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2024 at 19:39, Tomaszk said:

Perhaps a lesson to not do it in general, yes, but it was hardly quick.

He was here for two years before anything but glimpses of ability were shown.

Great it's coming now. Long may it continue.

He showed a glimpse of his ability within 25 seconds in his 3rd game off the bench against Everton at VP. 

Also happened to be the game that he sustained his injury that smashed his confidence and took him a year to properly recover from. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, switters said:

Interesting comments from Emery. I'd forgotten about that sub on-off vs Liverpool. You could imagine other players who would've taken badly to something like that and falling out with manager (cf Sancho at Utd) but Bailey clearly reacted the right way. Demonstrates both good character of Bailey and good management of Emery.

Definitely makes sense to get new contract sorted now. We'd be foolish to risk him going cheap just as he's found the way to consistency in the league and hitting peak footballing years in age

I remember people used to say he had a bad attitude or something (probably influenced by their feelings of his dad), and every indication couldn't be further from the truth. He seems to be one of the most humble footballers I've seen. Just took that substitution in his stride and went on to keep improving as a player. Never moans, always ready to come off the bench and make a telling impact. 

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

He showed a glimpse of his ability within 25 seconds in his 3rd game off the bench against Everton at VP. 

Yes. And as I said it was two years before anything but glimpses were seen.

This is a very boring conversation isn't it. Some people think he was OK/good, some people think he wasn't very good.

Right now he is brilliant. I'm enjoying it and I'm sure you are as well. Sign da ting Leon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is just factually incorrect though

Come on JV - you know exactly what I mean? For two years for whatever reason - he offered us very little, put your hand on your heart and tell me - if he had left in the summer, would you have been bothered ??

12 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

With all due respect - why does he deserve an apology ? Let’s have this right, for whatever mitigating reason that anyone wishes to purvey, for two years he did nothing for this football club, but claim a fantastic wage.

Yes of course - he is now performing very well, and even as one of his public detractors I am happy to see this, and long may it continue.

If anyone in our squad deserves an apology - it’s Youri Tielemans. He must have thought what the heck is going on, he was trying his hardest, getting pilloried, nothing was going his way - but he never hid or shirked the challenge.

Thats my opinion anyway 👍🏻 

Maybe not apologise for doubting him as that’s just an opinion but the stick he got at games was unjustified. There was moans around the ground for the smallest error.  He got it a lot worse than other players do and it used to really wind me up.

Not rating one of our players is one thing but not showing them support is shit.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

I at one time I wanted Leon out of the club, I believed I had seen enough to prove that he would never take that step to the next level.

I apologise, I was wrong and very happy to be.

He's been bloody fantastic for us, I was actually upset v Newcastle that he didn't start...

Edited by Villan_of_oz

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I remember people used to say he had a bad attitude or something (probably influenced by their feelings of his dad), and every indication couldn't be further from the truth. He seems to be one of the most humble footballers I've seen. Just took that substitution in his stride and went on to keep improving as a player. Never moans, always ready to come off the bench and make a telling impact. 

But why do people hate Craig Butler so much? The man took a load of kids of the street taught them to read and write put a roof over their heads built a football academy and worked night shifts cleaning toilets to provide for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I at one time I wanted Leon out of the club, I believed I had seen enough to prove that he would never take that step to the next level.

I apologise, I was wrong and very happy to be.

He's been bloody fantastic for us, I was actually upset v Newcastle that he didn't start...

tbf he was nursing an injury, which is why he didnt start.

Makes sense that it was injury troubles and maybe some sort of psychological barrier that was affecting him but… his belief and confidence did not wane… working with an elite coach and man manager… we are now seeing the best of him… and he is proving so many wrong… just as he predicted… we don’t know what is going in behind the scenes and in a player’s private life…

Similarly, McGinn was criticised (by ppl like me, I still regret it and feel apologetic) and written off but Unai elevated him and tweaked his abilities and style to become the best version of himself… what a player, what a leader…

We should learn from these examples… players like Diaby and Zaniolo… and even Ramsey now (I admit, I’ve been irked by suggestions to sell him or those calling him “not that good” - short memories and a lack of empathy here) will improve and show their worth…

Konsa has been immense… whereas the idiot we previously had in charge seemed to prefer Chambers 🤦‍♂️

Luiz… Unai has turned him into one of the best in the league…

Watkins is even better…

If anyone was willing to give Leon two seasons to improve (not many, the constant slander and abuse was excessive imo), then let’s give Moussa at least one…

Ppl were shitting themselves over Pau too,  worried about his “shortcomings” and overlooking his attributes - they all seem to have shut up now… it didn’t take him long…

We’ve got to learn to stick with these players and just to trust Unai basically… there is always a plan…

Need to be better than constantly having a “I want it now” mentality… it doesn’t work like that and we are constantly a work in progress… we don’t have the luxuries and freedom that other clubs do either… we are having to work for and earn our success… maybe it’s more satisfying and enjoyable that way… I think it will be…

Unai is on it…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â