Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Having an opinion about a players playing ability is fine for example @Delphinho123 and his opinions on Bailey and Buendia it’s fine it’s never from a standpoint of malice same with @Tom13 and Ollie Watkins it’s their opinion and they make valid points to back up their footballing opinion. And it’s never name calling and digging into the players personal lives starting unnecessarily rumours and malice like some people do.

• Like 2

Ultimately I judge Leon by what he does on the pitch and currently that's been no where near enough the expected level. Swap him for El Ghazi and there's no difference (that's not a slight on El ghazi btw, but he cost a lot less) 

• Like 2

I think Bailey has suffered from coming into a team and immediately getting injured, and subsequently having to try and recover from injury and get back up to speed with a league he's never played in, in positions and formations and tactics he's never played in before. It feels like an awful lot is expected of him in terms of changes to his game and a lot of understanding.

Add to that his birthday he seemed to only celebrate with Traore and Konsa in our squad after over 2 years in the country, seems as though he's not got close to anyone in the squad which might mean he's never felt settled or "home"

It's an odd one as he looked a quality player in Germany. I wish we could see the best of him but similar to Sancho, if you take these bundesliga wingers out of their team and tactic that makes them flourish, then stick them in a similar position on the grass but with everything else around them different, you're relying on luck more than anything to get a good outcome. 

The Bailey, Buendia, Ings transfer was clearly a mistake. Since day 1 there's been people saying where does Ings fit, Buendia and Bailey play in the same position, what tactic do we play with these players, can they make the step up etc. 

I think the most realistically positive outcome is that Bailey has a good season with us as a bit-part player and we sell him on without too much of a loss at the end of the season. I definitely think we should give him another season though.  

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

It's an odd one as he looked a quality player in Germany. I wish we could see the best of him but similar to Sancho, if you take these bundesliga wingers out of their team and tactic that makes them flourish, then stick them in a similar position on the grass but with everything else around them different, you're relying on luck more than anything to get a good outcome. 

That  just sounds more like very poor scouting to me.

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

That  just sounds more like very poor scouting to me.

Sorry yeah that's what I was getting at but couldn't bring myself to say it haha. I think we had a very very poor season of scouting, I don't think Buendia, Ings or Bailey suited Smith's style of play, I'd say Watkins was still ahead of Ings and we had 2 RW insfead of one, so we were going into the season with a chasm on the LW and too many options in the other positions. Since then two permanent managers who play in a way none of those 3 suit. 

I would imagine we had bigger aspirations for a LW signing which didn't work out, potentially Smith Rowe, and so we went for backup options. But yeah, in hindsight this was poor recruitment in terms of building a coherent squad. 

However, I don't think any team has ever successfully replaced an irreplaceable player with a group of new players. I find Brighton's current approach of replacing Caicedo and Mac Allister with two free agents fascinating, as if they're aware of the unquantifiable curse that clubs face and so are holding onto the profits instead of taking risks with them. 

• Like 1

If Bailey had performed for us - nobody would even be raising an eye brow. 
In fact I imagine people would be saying go and enjoy and recuperate and find your mojo again - but he hasn’t and so you cannot blame for thinking here we are again, another overpaid and pampered professional footballer.
I’m not going to lie - I don’t think he is anywhere near good enough regardless so I am really not in the slightest bit bothered.

Gives someone else a chance  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Ultimately I judge Leon by what he does on the pitch and currently that's been no where near enough the expected level. Swap him for El Ghazi and there's no difference (that's not a slight on El ghazi btw, but he cost a lot less) 

Really good point.  He is basically performing at the El Ghazi level which is not good enough and will be harshly scrutinized given the transfer fee.

20 hours ago, skarroki said:

Sorry yeah that's what I was getting at but couldn't bring myself to say it haha. I think we had a very very poor season of scouting, I don't think Buendia, Ings or Bailey suited Smith's style of play, I'd say Watkins was still ahead of Ings and we had 2 RW insfead of one, so we were going into the season with a chasm on the LW and too many options in the other positions. Since then two permanent managers who play in a way none of those 3 suit. 

I would imagine we had bigger aspirations for a LW signing which didn't work out, potentially Smith Rowe, and so we went for backup options. But yeah, in hindsight this was poor recruitment in terms of building a coherent squad. 

However, I don't think any team has ever successfully replaced an irreplaceable player with a group of new players. I find Brighton's current approach of replacing Caicedo and Mac Allister with two free agents fascinating, as if they're aware of the unquantifiable curse that clubs face and so are holding onto the profits instead of taking risks with them. 

Spurs did a pretty good job of replacing Bale with a group of new players, no?

Looking really up for it today, like Digne. Absolutely no problem with him staying if he can perform like this more often than not. We all know there's a class player in there. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Really Great assist, maybe the directness Diaby gives us will suit Bailey.

Last week he looked terrible though so bit of a wait and see if he can really turn a corner here for us now.

🤞🏼

Besides Diaby, who didn't? 

• Like 1

Â