Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Weird comment - he's not an arrogant guy at all. 

Think it's the whole entourage around him, one of them being very vocal and has had no problems criticising the club in public 

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Do you just mean Craig Butler?

Indeed, Leon has never come across as anything but a really good guy but he really needs to real that guy in a bit, 

He seems to be doing the same rubbish to another poor young lad on Chelsea's books

Always come across as being pretty sound when I've heard him speak. He's clearly got good feet but he's got to string a few 90 minutes together with some end product at some point to justify his place in the squad. Looks like we'll be signing a player for the second striker role, or at least it seems we want to, so he will have some competition to get a start. Hopefully it does him good and brings out the best in him as there's a player in there.

I don't understand why he gets the arrogant label. It makes no sense. Okay he hasn't pulled up trees. Neither has our most high profile signing ever, still sitting #3 in the biggest transfers of all time. Yet nobody calls him arrogant (because he's not).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

A lot of people push this narrative fo Leon being arrogant but he’s nothing but he’s a very humble man. And then they jump on Craig Butler  yes Craig can be outspoken on social media but I believe that come from a good place deep down. The man has dedicated his life into developing and given youngsters in Jamaica an opportunity and path way into football and even took extra shifts cleaning toilets to keep Phoenix academy afloat. He could have easily rode Leon’s success and packed in the academy and lived an easy life but he genuinely believes in making a difference.

No doubt butler has been great for a lot of these kids but the whole easily rode Leon success and lived an easy life is a bit far fetched, the man wants to be front and center at all time, even the signing the contract was all about Craig and not Leon, he goes on drunken rants on his insta stories, mostly about Jamaican football but the odd one about us.

I watch a lot of boxing and these characters are common, Teofimo Lopez father and Danny Garcia's father come to mind, but then you have great men like lomo's father that let their son take the stage

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, most people who have just decided they dislike the lad don't go off of anything fact based.

So they can literally just make shite up as they go along.

In fairness, this isn't just in Leons case, it's a general thing with fans.

Just like how some people would take Mings demeanor or gum chewing as "" arrogance ".

As noted, if anything the kid needs to be more confident in himself, by all accounts he's an extremely humble and popular guy in the dressing room.

Only thing he seems to love which may make him seem a way to certain people, is his fashion and music etc.

Seems a great lad to me & very humble lad, appreciates what he has, hoping Wmeey can get alot more out of him next season & I'm sure he will. Seen part of an interview with on YouTube other week & the interviewer asked him whilst he is over in the States this summer with Jamaica & aston villa will you take in some other sports or other football ? His response was, nope not for me just going to chill don't really do other sports or even watch football I just love playing football. 

• Like 1

FYI lads, the Gold Cup is now on, which is the largest CONCACAF Cup.

So Leon should be playing a good amount of football.

His summary from yesterday against USA.

ST: Leon Bailey - 6/10 - Dropped into midfield at times to link play, but failed to put his country 2-0 up from the penalty spot. Displayed terrific moments of skill throughout the game. "

Broke some ankles,.missed penalty drops rating though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Just seen his penalty miss - these things happen. But his follow up to the rebound is **** atrocious. Just not good enough for me. 

i think he'll still be in the squad but i can see him getting a lot of conference league minutes. if he's starting PL games next season something has gone wrong this summer

• Like 2

On 21/06/2023 at 17:22, gwi1890 said:

A lot of people push this narrative fo Leon being arrogant but he’s nothing but he’s a very humble man. And then they jump on Craig Butler  yes Craig can be outspoken on social media but I believe that come from a good place deep down. The man has dedicated his life into developing and given youngsters in Jamaica an opportunity and path way into football and even took extra shifts cleaning toilets to keep Phoenix academy afloat. He could have easily rode Leon’s success and packed in the academy and lived an easy life but he genuinely believes in making a difference.

I don't think he's arrogant, I just want him to play better. 

If he could play better that would be nice.

52 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think he'll still be in the squad but i can see him getting a lot of conference league minutes. if he's starting PL games next season something has gone wrong this summer

Or he could get to the level we expected and earn his place?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Just seen his penalty miss - these things happen. But his follow up to the rebound is **** atrocious. Just not good enough for me. 

His right foot is almost non existent unfortunately. 7 out of 10 times he skews with it.

• Like 1

Leon was very unlucky.

He was unfortunate to make his debut against a weak Everton side which finished the season on 39 points, and his star performance in Villa's 3-0 win, raised expectations to a level he was unlikely to meet.

Fantastic debuts are not always an accurate guide to how a player's career is likely to progress (Didier Six?}

He then suffered a bad muscle injury, which are notorious for being an on-going problem, and can wreck the career of players known for making lightning darting runs (David Owen et al).

When Leon returned from injury he looked very conscious of the necessity to manage the way he played and his form suffered, as he had to avoid what had been instinctive to him.

He looks a bit desperate to impress, which is probably his main problem.

I wish him all the best!

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FYI lads, the Gold Cup is now on, which is the largest CONCACAF Cup.

So Leon should be playing a good amount of football.

His summary from yesterday against USA.

ST: Leon Bailey - 6/10 - Dropped into midfield at times to link play, but failed to put his country 2-0 up from the penalty spot. Displayed terrific moments of skill throughout the game. "

Broke some ankles,.missed penalty drops rating though.

He looked good in the highlights video, I wish I watched the match since I sleep late these days lol. Here’s hoping we win the competition  🇯🇲🇯🇲

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

He looked good in the highlights video, I wish I watched the match since I sleep late these days lol. Here’s hoping we win the competition  🇯🇲🇯🇲

Him, and Jamaica were actually quite good.

Undoubtedly, some people will choose the penalty and rebound miss as their go to summary though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Him, and Jamaica were actually quite good.

Undoubtedly, some people will choose the penalty and rebound miss as their go to summary though.

My dad said the same thing to me not long ago as he stayed up to watch it. I’m definitely going to watch our next game against Trinidad. It should be a game we should be winning hopefully

• Thanks 1

Â