Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

----------------------------GK-----------------------------

------------------CB----------------CB-----------------

---------RB--------------DM----------------DM-----

7/11--------CF----------WF----------8--------LB

That one's particularly interesting in that I think we see it the same way but would describe how we get there in different ways.

I'd label it:

WF--------8----------CF----------8--------------LB

For Bailey, that means when we're on the attack he can drift wide, but when we break he's a more central traditional centre forward.

When we don't have the ball, we fo this as the moment:

----------RB------CB---------CB--------LB-----------

------8------------DM--------DM-------------8--------

-------------------CF----------CF-------------------------

An almost traditional 4-4-2, albeit with the 8's occasionally dropping further so that they're in as extra full backs in a six player line. In that situation, Bailey's responsibility is to close down the CB and force him wide, then force the full back to play down the side of our narrow block where we're able to defend them - it also means that if we break, he's got the option of going wide or through the middle.

I think the way he's currently being used suits him pretty well, hopefully he can pick up more confidence as he goes and that little link between him and Buendia will click at some point.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

That one's particularly interesting in that I think we see it the same way but would describe how we get there in different ways.

I'd label it:

WF--------8----------CF----------8--------------LB

For Bailey, that means when we're on the attack he can drift wide, but when we break he's a more central traditional centre forward.

When we don't have the ball, we fo this as the moment:

----------RB------CB---------CB--------LB-----------

------8------------DM--------DM-------------8--------

-------------------CF----------CF-------------------------

An almost traditional 4-4-2, albeit with the 8's occasionally dropping further so that they're in as extra full backs in a six player line. In that situation, Bailey's responsibility is to close down the CB and force him wide, then force the full back to play down the side of our narrow block where we're able to defend them - it also means that if we break, he's got the option of going wide or through the middle.

I think the way he's currently being used suits him pretty well, hopefully he can pick up more confidence as he goes and that little link between him and Buendia will click at some point.

I feel this makes more sense for the PL. I just winder why Emery is so keen for a specific winger, which has lead me to think he wants one from RM like he had with Pino and he often had his 8 in LM. So in my mind he has something like the 8 6 6 7 in mind, with this winger like Pino. But at Villareal he had his Striker as the right of the front two with Danjuma on left as more the wide forward type. So this doesn't balance with Bailey. 

This along with who he brings in for RB in summer is the most intriguing to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Good interview, confirmed that him and Gerrard didn’t see eye to eye but still wanted to play here. 

I’m a big critic of Gerrard but after reading that I didn’t see any such claim made apart from journalist guesswork? 

40 minutes ago, av1 said:

I’m a big critic of Gerrard but after reading that I didn’t see any such claim made apart from journalist guesswork? 

There may be a little more to it. Michail Antonio said on his podcast that from what he'd heard, a few Villa players didn't see eye-to-eye with Gerrard. Who's Antonio's International teammate? Bailey.

I thought he'd be quicker than he is, but he was outpaced by Southampton's defence generally today and he doesn't offer that much more to get past players.  Probably the player we need to replace most, although a good squad option.

Â