Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

- Says Leon is a very nice, quiet humble lad, and he isn't, so it's not Leon's job to talk back to or disrespect his coach and peers etc, it's HIS job.

He's an idiot then isn't he.

This isn't Sunday league where your dad gets his say.

Really like Leon whenever I see him speak. You could see the confidence coming off him in that recent post-match.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Excited to see more of him, but this seems premature.

Why premature? If he does carry that form over into the season then he will most likely be player of the season. Seems to be a pretty straightforward observation.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

For some reason I was re re watching the highlights of the Rennes game this morning. 

Can the people who suggested he was 'slow' please retract their statements. 

35 mins in the guy makes up about 15 yards on the CB after a through ball from Carlos and beats him to the ball. 

He's absolute gas. 

8 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For some reason I was re re watching the highlights of the Rennes game this morning. 

Can the people who suggested he was 'slow' please retract their statements. 

35 mins in the guy makes up about 15 yards on the CB after a through ball from Carlos and beats him to the ball. 

He's absolute gas. 

Has aready been discussed at length. Don't think anyone thinks he's slow anymore.

It is clear 1 of 2 things was the case last season....either we we were playing him before he'd fully physically recovered, or he hadn't got over the psychological concern of doing his quad when running at top speed.

Whichever it was (Gerrard's comments seem to suggest it was psychological), he's over them now and he looks as rapid as ever.  Be a crime if he doesn't start against Bournemouth on current form.

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

Has aready been discussed at length. Don't think anyone thinks he's slow anymore.

It is clear 1 of 2 things was the case last season....either we we were playing him before he'd fully physically recovered, or he hadn't got over the psychological concern of doing his quad when running at top speed.

Whichever it was (Gerrard's comments seem to suggest it was psychological), he's over them now and he looks as rapid as ever.  Be a crime if he doesn't start against Bournemouth on current form.

Thought it might have been. I'm too lazy to go back through the thread that much. 

Absolutely, must start, he looked excellent against Rennes (and Utd). 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Thought it might have been. I'm too lazy to go back through the thread that much. 

I don't think "all" the people who suggested that he was slow have retracted their statements to be fair. I expect apology statements from those people in the style of Tiger Woods when he got caught cheating that time.

Tiger Woods sticks to the script in his apology and reveals nothing of note

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I don't think "all" the people who suggested that he was slow have retracted their statements to be fair. I expect apology statements from those people in the style of Tiger Woods when he got caught cheating that time.

Tiger Woods sticks to the script in his apology and reveals nothing of note

I too would like to see this. 

(May I just point out that dear old Eldrick's apology came after he was found out for cheating for the 1,406,205,201,123,101 time and at the time just his 11th car accident)

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for him and for us that he can continue the way he has performed in pre season.

Last season he had a bit of a shocker with injuries, management upheaval etc.

Perhaps the 5 subs rule that has been brought in to favour the Chumpions League sides might be a blessing in disguise for us also as we can utilise the other legitimately good players we have and involve the rest of the squad…

Including players like Sanson and Traore who I am certain have their parts to play as well as the youngsters who need valuable game time…

• Like 2

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

Fingers crossed for him and for us that he can continue the way he has performed in pre season.

Last season he had a bit of a shocker with injuries, management upheaval etc.

Perhaps the 5 subs rule that has been brought in to favour the Chumpions League sides might be a blessing in disguise for us also as we can utilise the other legitimately good players we have and involve the rest of the squad…

Including players like Sanson and Traore who I am certain have their parts to play as well as the youngsters who need valuable game time…

Sadly looks like Traoré is in a bomb squad,  according to Preece. He's been told to train with the u21s. He didn't show much pre season and my (largely uneducated) guess is something's gone on behind the scenes.

You are right about the potential blessing in disguise for us though. 

Is well documented Smith was against the plan for 5 subs but not sure i ever saw a quote from Gerrard on his view on it. But the likes of Sanson, Bailey/Buendia, Archer, and whichever of Ings/Watkins we don't start will all benefit from it.

Whilst villa will see some benefit, sadly the big 6 are always going to benefit more.

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Sadly looks like Traoré is in a bomb squad,  according to Preece. He's been told to train with the u21s. He didn't show much pre season and my (largely uneducated) guess is something's gone on behind the scenes.

You are right about the potential blessing in disguise for us though. 

Is well documented Smith was against the plan for 5 subs but not sure i ever saw a quote from Gerrard on his view on it. But the likes of Sanson, Bailey/Buendia, Archer, and whichever of Ings/Watkins we don't start will all benefit from it.

Whilst villa will see some benefit, sadly the big 6 are always going to benefit more.

Not sure the big 6 benefitting more is always the case.  The sides who benefit most are those who have squads where players are very close to those in the starting eleven - and I think we're largely in that bracket.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Not sure the big 6 benefitting more is always the case.  The sides who benefit most are those who have squads where players are very close to those in the starting eleven - and I think we're largely in that bracket.

I guess you could argue we'll benefit long  term. But in terms of the results this season, the big 6 are bringing 5 players off their bench, all of whom would probably be our record signing.

I also think they'll be in a position to bring on their youth players when they're winning 6-0 and have then get actual premier league experience without the pressure and benefit more that way too. So even then, the longer term looks great for the big 6.

It's definitely not bad for us. I don't think it's better for us than it is for them.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interesting. Leads me to wonder if the manager might see it that way though, or just the fans. Can't see the likes of Sanson or whoever else you might put in that bracket getting more minutes because the manager has more options.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That'd be the teams with £50m+ players sitting on the bench, in other words, 'the big 6'.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I guess you could argue we'll benefit long  term. But in terms of the results this season, the big 6 are bringing 5 players off their bench, all of whom would probably be our record signing.

I also think they'll be in a position to bring on their youth players when they're winning 6-0 and have then get actual premier league experience without the pressure and benefit more that way too. So even then, the longer term looks great for the big 6.

It's definitely not bad for us. I don't think it's better for us than it is for them.

My point is that this doesn't necessarily help them like-for-like.

Obviously they'll be fine, but bringing off, say, Salah and bringing on Firmino is a weakening of the side - even though Firmino is a good player, he's no Salah.  For us, you could pretty happily interchange Watkins/Ings/maybe Bailey, or Buendia/Coutinho or Sanson/Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey and so on.  The gap in quality isn't necessarily as large, even if the top 6 have players who are better/more expensive than those we have.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

My point is that this doesn't necessarily help them like-for-like.

Obviously they'll be fine, but bringing off, say, Salah and bringing on Firmino is a weakening of the side - even though Firmino is a good player, he's no Salah.  For us, you could pretty happily interchange Watkins/Ings/maybe Bailey, or Buendia/Coutinho or Sanson/Luiz/McGinn/Ramsey and so on.  The gap in quality isn't necessarily as large, even if the top 6 have players who are better/more expensive than those we have.

Good point.  I guess to change a game they're in a (debatably) worse position if you look at it that way. But how often do they ever need to do that?  And the benefit they get from a fitter Salah not having to play 90 minutes every week might outweigh the relative drop in quality they get from bringing Firminho on.

Still, for us we should get to see more of our fringe players, give them chance to prove themselves/ develop, and get a net benefit for our team.  Especially over the clubs we're likely to be competing with this season. That said, there were still games last season when we didn't even make 3 subs, so need to be more committed in using them!

Edit: forgot we were in the Bailey thread. Guess these posts belong in a 5 subs rule thread. 

Bailey to benefit from us having 5 subs is a sure thing. I think...

Edited by MrBlack

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

I had a quick look and went back to around April. There's a few posters who clearly were stating he was slow and how be looked in the bundesliga didn't matter. 

• Thanks 1

Â