Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Now that El Ghzi, Hourihane and Targett have gone, we have the new player that is called mentally weak on Villatalk

It’s not mental weakness that’s a concern, it’s the physical side!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

You have so much more time with the ball here. In england you get closed down a lot quicker than that. Thats probably why he has struggled abit.

Concacaf level is mostly shite.

However bare in mind, he was signed from the Bundesliga.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Concacaf level is mostly shite.

However bare in mind, he was signed from the Bundesliga.

Yeah. Im hopeful its just some niggling injuries that have slowed his progress. He looked excellent at first.  I dont understand why he looked so slow towards the end of the season.

Either it was because he was picking up a injury or mentally he was scared of pickinv up the same injury

Hopefully with some internationals and a pre-season behind him, we will see the best of Leon next year. Probably depends on what system Gerrard and Critchley settle on though as he doesn’t really fit into a system with no wide players. Very much signed for Dean Smiths system so may be hard to get a run of games and even harder to assert yourself with a few mins off the bench every now and then.

30 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

That pitch looks horrific.

My own ankles hurt just seeing him twist and turn on it.

Yep. The standard of that pitch looked a good match for the standard of the opposition. Not sure we can learn anything from that sequence of clips given he was probably just trying to avoid injury for most of the game. 

Still looks a little slow, and lacking in confidence (bottled a first time shot and only one clip of him trying to beat a man who he couldnt get past), but again could well be down to the pitch.

Really need to see how he looks after a proper pre season without injury, to know whether we're getting the player we signed back or the player that suffered the villa curse.

• Like 1

Post on instagram this morning saying they won't play again until the head of the Jamaican FA resigns. Apparently they've been trying to cut cost with travel arrangement, impractical flight times/connections and substandard accommodation (including "couch beds") at hotels. In addition, appears they haven't been paid.

Capture.thumb.JPG.68994b113176268eb08e48074a32b2a0.JPG

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 3

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

Post on instagram this morning saying they won't play again until the head of the Jamaican FA resigns. Apparently they've been trying to cut cost with travel arrangement, impractical flight times/connections and substandard accommodation (including "couch beds") at hotels. In addition, appears they haven't been paid.

Capture.thumb.JPG.68994b113176268eb08e48074a32b2a0.JPG

May further explain the lethargic nature of his performance.

Sounds like the JFF are either bankrupt or funnelling money to where it isn't meant to go.

What a sad state of affairs for the players if true. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

We just need to have a bit of patience, to see if he pulls through and shows the form, for why we bought him.

I agree, he showed he had real quality in the bundesliga and in his first few games under Dean Smith. I think we should give him another season and see how he does. I don't think his stock will drop dramatically more than it has if he still isn't playing well enough to be in the starting XI. 

• Like 3

On 06/06/2022 at 09:00, Demitri_C said:

You have so much more time with the ball here. In england you get closed down a lot quicker than that. Thats probably why he has struggled abit.

Very good point. It's why some players struggle in Prem. It was Conte who said in Italy players have more time, while in Prem the moment you get the ball there is a player on you trying to take it off you. It takes time to adapt, but I thought in Germany they have more of a pressing game like Prem so it should be less of a shock. 

I really think injury is what has done Bailey. It's too difficult to get up to speed if you keep getting injured.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

We just need to have a bit of patience, to see if he pulls through and shows the form, for why we bought him.

I think if he can learn tactically what he's needed to do. He will operate well in a 10 role which can switch to a split striker role during the game if needed. He'd need to learn from Buendia about defending though.

He’ll still get a shot this season.  I’m not sure Gerrard is looking to build a team around Leon Bailey, but he’s the one bit of blistering pace we have in the squad and there will definitely be games where we need someone who scares opponents with their ability to run in behind. 

• Like 1

Â