U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Six of our starting eleven technically still qualify for the U18s, including three of the back four, two of those playing in central defence.

Edit: That is the U18 League side, which has different rules to the FA Youth Cup.

Edited by useless

These are rules on the age of player for U21 teams in the competition

7.8.1  at least six of the starting eleven players named on the Team Sheet are players who were aged under 21 as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned commenced; and

7.8.2  no more than two players who:

(i)  are aged 21 or over; and

(ii) have made 40 or more appearances in a First Team Fixture (either in the starting elven or as a playing substitute) in each case as at the 30th June in the year in which the Season concerned, shall be named on the Team Sheet.

EFL

Essentially I think that pretty much means we're allwed to play two players over the age of twenty-one. Compared to most Premier League clubs we play a very young side in this competion, Davis only playing because he's returning from injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When's the draw and if we get Walsall away, how many tickets do you think they'll give us? 😆

Swinkels and Bogarde have been excellent considering their age - and the two fullbacks have worked their socks off.

Fair play to Chukwuemeka and Ramsey who've stepped up in the second half too.

• Like 2

Thoroughly enjoyable - we're great to watch, full of attacking intent and goals.

The commentary team were unintentionally hilarious and the referee was magical - I did wonder at times if he'd forgotten he was refereeing and occasionally looked down and thought "Why have I got a whistle?" His attitude was very much, not every foul needs to be a free kick, let the boys play.

• Like 3

Would be hilarious if we got to the final at Wembley. 

We'd sell out I reckon.  Some past finals have seen a half empty Wembley. How many could we sell? 

I'd be really pissed off if I was a fan of a league 1/2 club that PL academies were playing in a competition my club might travel to Wembley for and win. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

And to think, there are some who think we're a club in crisis. This array of talent amongst our youngsters and their confidence in expressing that talent is a product of the culture that is being instilled from top to bottom at Villa Park. It's reminiscent of the old boot room culture at Anfield, this is the version being built for the modern era. When you consider the average age of tonight's team, it's quite remarkable what these young men are producing. It can only bode well for what could turn out to be a very successful era indeed. 

You can guarantee that the manager has been the main architect in building this exciting approach to making Aston Villa the club it should be. Imagine, an Aston Villa team comprised of eleven, homegrown players.  The way things are looking, it doesn't seem that far fetched. 

It really is something special what these owners have provided for our club. Hopefully, it won't be too long before we're reaping the rewards. 

👏👏👏👏👏