U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Not a great performance from us, first half a few of our players had very quiet games, I thought if we could get them more involved in the second half we'd improve and win comfortably, but instead of that happening some of the other players went quiet, a few of them trying to do too much by themselves at times too. Refereeing performance was annoying too, Sunderland realised that he gave fouls very easily. All that said we probably still deserved something from the game, and I thought Iroegbunham looked excellent again.

Sometimes the game is complicated and sometimes it's not - in the first half we looked slightly the better side but sometimes looked a bit too clever for our own good. I thought we deserved the lead though and on another day Davis could have put us out of sight.

In the second half they'd realised that we played a really high line and that their forwards were quicker than our centrebacks, so they just piled long balls forward and we couldn't deal with them - with two ball playing number tens, Iroegbanum couldn't be expected to close down the whole of their midfield and so they just took advantage of us repeatedly. Nothing complicated, just fire the ball over the head of Swinkels and run - it worked.

For us, I thought Bogarde was pretty good, Chukwuemeka good at times, JPB lively, and Iroegbanum strong but there was just a bit of balance missing. Sunderland were organised and played well. Their number three was a superb athlete, played at left back in the first half and then on the wing in the second half, he was good throughout and the front two were both very good too. Will Harris who got the hat trick reminded me a bit of Jamie Vardy, not so much in his playing style but that he gets goals and he's an unlikeable mouthy prick.

Work to be done for us, not having a natural left back hurts us and we're a bit unbalanced in midfield, fair play to Sunderland, bottom of the table, but they worked us out, took advantage and deserved it.

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

You shouldn’t need to. You’ll need to log on to iFollow, and then you can choose the team/game from there. 

I had to get my old account using my email address deleted to be able to register a new one to watch the game tonight 😂

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I had to get my old account using my email address deleted to be able to register a new one to watch the game tonight 😂

How long did that take? 
I'm holding out for team news as I think there's a chance we'll put out an U18 rather than U23 side.

I'm not sure if we have much scope when it comes to using the U18s, of the nine games they've played this season they've conceded five goals in six of them and conceded four goals in one of the other three, so I think the defence will have to be selected from the usual U21 choices otherwise we'd be in danger of ending up with a scoreline worse than Sunderland last season.

Then further forward I think a few of the others that might have been in contention like Reddin and Burchall have been injured, so might depend on whether we're prepared to use the likes of Hart, Tommi O'Reilly, Afoka, or Sewell, maybe one or two of them but I think for the most part we'll have to play a more experienced team.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Davis playing, Frith I don't think was allowed to play in the earlier games because of him only being on trial then, so I imagine there's a good chance that he will play as well.

44 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not sure if we have much scope when it comes to using the U18s, of the nine games they've played this season they've conceded five goals in six of them and conceded four goals in one of the other three, so I think the defence will have to be selected from the usual U21 choices otherwise we'd be in danger of ending up with a scoreline worse than Sunderland last season.

The thing is that the scoreline doesn't matter tonight does it? We've both already qualified. With that in mind, I can't see Milton Keynes risking anyone from their first team squad, they'll go as weak as the rules allow and I think we'll take the opportunity to blood some of the younger lads.

That said, I'm usually wrong and I wouldn't be massively surprised to see the full wedge of our U23 crop!

Are we allowed a home tie if we win the group?

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

How long did that take? 
I'm holding out for team news as I think there's a chance we'll put out an U18 rather than U23 side.

Not long tbh, I emailed them at ifollow@efl.com and they got back to me very quickly. 

• Like 1

Delaney has said that these games are the most important of the season for the academy players, as I think the experience is seen as just as important as the results, so I what I think it ultimately comes down to is the question of how highly rate some of the second year scholars that are still playing for the U18s, if we've already got a good idea that some of them might not make it with us then we might think it's pointless playing them in a game like this, when it could be invaluable experience for our more highly rated youngsters that we've got big hopes for.

Then again we might decide to throw a bunch of them in just to see how they do, maybe a mixed team.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's their second eleven - only Boateng started at the weekend, but their whole bench from that game is playing.

seems to be a lot of MK Dons noise about Troy Parrott, i wonder if he is a first teamer coming back from injury or something?