U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Any likely coverage of tonight's game?

No idea, but going by the last round we'll be lucky to get a solitary tweet from the club.

• Thanks 1

Stourbridge equalize from a penalty. Judging by their twitter it sounds like they're giving us a good game and Zych is having to make a lot of saves. Thought It might be a tough game when I saw the line-up.

1-2 FT

Not a bad game to watch. Sloppiness at the back was our major downfall, lost count of how many times we gave the ball away in dangerous areas. Looked good on the break, just couldn’t get the final pass away. Very noticeable how deep Caleb got second half in order to get in the game.

Thorndike was the stand out for me (unlucky to hit the post with a free kick), closely followed by Feeney.

Caleb’s goal was jammy, just a closed down the goalie and deflected off him into the net.

Theirs were a pen and a direct free kick. They should have had a couple more second half.

Team:

Zych, Ealing, Patterson (sub Barber), Zito, Feeney, Lindley, Firth, Hart (sub O’Reilly), Chukwuemeka, Thorndike, Goodridge (sub Afoka). Unsed Subs: Alcock, Wright.

Note on the attendance, 1946, which is Stourbridge’s highest by some way this season.

Edited by Unused Sub
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good game, nice atmosphere. The difference between the teams was that Stourbridge nullified our attacking threat with strong tackles and defensive organisation, and then made the most of two sloppy defensive errors. They were less refined but more effective and deserved the win. Villa never really consistently connected midfield and attack, and after going behind from a lovely direct free kick, huffed and puffed but only created one solitary good chance.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

For those that watched the game, was Iroegbunam a noticeable miss in midfield? He's looked so good when I've watched him play this season. 

Very much yes, needed someone like him or Lindley from last term to dictate the tempo. 

• Like 1

I notice there are only 3 u21 teams in the Papa John's knockout stages (out of 32). We're joined by Arsenal and Chelsea who face Ipswich & Forest Green respectively.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I notice there are only 3 u21 teams in the Papa John's knockout stages (out of 32). We're joined by Arsenal and Chelsea who face Ipswich & Forest Green respectively.

It's just a very thin crust of academy teams left

• Like 2