U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

13 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I hope Gerrard continues to give the kids a chance 
Seemed like he didn't promote any at rangers in his 3 seasons 

I'd be confident he will. It will have been a strong part of his remit here, and he worked that role at Liverpool. I don't know what Rangers' academy is like and their remit would very much have been to win the league at all costs, so perhaps less wiggle room to be blooding youngsters.

• Like 2

As far as I know we can technically play who we want in the Birmingham Senior Cup, I don't think there are any age restrictions. I think most professional clubs play a younger team though, in the last round we bascially played a U23 team and I imagine that's what will happen Monday, there might be some overlap with the U18s but I don't think that we will playing our U18 team that plays in the U18 Premier League for example as a lot of them might not be deemed ready to play fully grown adults.

The rules are on this page via the link titled 'County Cup Rules 1 July'.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

As far as I know we can technically play who we want in the Birmingham Senior Cup, I don't think there are any age restrictions. I think most professional clubs play a younger team though, in the last round we bascially played a U23 team and I imagine that's what will happen Monday, there might be some overlap with the U18s but I don't think that we will playing our U18 team that plays in the U18 Premier League for example as a lot of them might not be deemed ready to play fully grown adults.

The rules are on this page via the link titled 'County Cup Rules 1 July'.

When I posted 'U21', I didn't even realise the question was Birmingham Senior Cup and not EFL trophy. In fairness, I'm slight inebriated, drinking cocktails out of pineapples around a pool in Mexico.:cheers:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brommy said:

When I posted 'U21', I didn't even realise the question was Birmingham Senior Cup and not EFL trophy. In fairness, I'm slight inebriated, drinking cocktails out of pineapples around a pool in Mexico.:cheers:

Quality brag. Enjoy 👍👍😁

• Haha 1

Does our new manager mean the possibility of the academy staff being reviewed and changed at this point. I was hoping that the academy staff would be kept in its entirety  as I think they've done a great job up to now?

• Like 1

Just now, Villa 59 said:

Does our new manager mean the possibility of the academy staff being reviewed and changed at this point. I was hoping that the academy staff would be kept in its entirety  as I think they've done a great job up to now?

Mark Harrison and his immediate staff are surely safe??

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Villa 59 said:

I think that might be one of the key differences between hiring Gerrard as a head coach and hiring him as a manager. He's 'just' a head coach, so rearranging our academy is probably not within his job description.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think that might be one of the key differences between hiring Gerrard as a head coach and hiring him as a manager. He's 'just' a head coach, so rearranging our academy is probably not within his job description.

Thanks BOF that's reassuring 

Our academy staff have done a very good job so far, and they did a very good job at Albion who are still benefitting now from the work our academy staff did whilst there, basically Mark Harrison and his team have helped create two of the best academies in the country, so no reason to change much, I don't think Purslow would allow it. It's possible I guess that they might bring in some extra coaches to help the U18s and U23s play in Gerrard's vision to help for an easier transition to the first team, but I would have though that there's no reason Delaney and Boateng can't do that as I imagine the way the academy teams are playing now is already similar to how Gerrard wants us to play.

• Like 1

Tonight is Stourbridge in the second round of the BSC. It will be the 5th encounter between the two clubs in this competition. The previous four:

1990-91 Lost 1-4 scorers: Yorke

1989-90 Won 5-2 scorers: Williams, Blake, Mooney

1984-85 Won 6-0 scorers: Kerr 3, Birch, Walker

1912-13 Won 9-0 scorers: Hall 3, Doncaster 3, Strugnell 2, Watson

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unused Sub said:

Tonight is Stourbridge in the second round of the BSC. It will be the 5th encounter between the two clubs in this competition. The previous four:

1990-91 Lost 1-4 scorers: Yorke

1989-90 Won 5-2 scorers: Williams, Blake, Mooney

1984-85 Won 6-0 scorers: Kerr 3, Birch, Walker

1912-13 Won 9-0 scorers: Hall 3, Doncaster 3, Strugnell 2, Watson

Is there a link to the goals for that bottom one?

• Haha 2

I imagine we will be missing a few players that have been away on international duty and a few of the others because the new coaches wanting to take a look at them, Iroegbunham has apparently been training with the first team today for example and there are probably others who otherwise might have had a good chance of playing tonight. Might be a chance for some of the second year scholars who haven't established themselves in the U23s yet to make an impression.