First XI selling price?

Monkeypuzzle

I thought it was well known that one of the goals in this new era of Villa football was to bring in younger players at low cost and develop them so that if the need to sell came about we’d be making a very large return on the purchase?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

What has changed at the Villa in the last few weeks that has confirmed this for you?

Nothing negative has happened, in fact in the last month or so, in the early days of the transfer window, we have broken our transfer record, signed Young and dished out probably a dozen new contracts locking in our best youngsters for years all while adding a talented youngster Feeney from Fleetwood.  

Yet your view has been confirmed on a negative outlook…surely that isn’t rational?

No, nothing negative with Villa really changed my mind, more to do with Real and Barca being very financially insecure. Because usually those 2 were considered the only "non selling" clubs and now they need to sell. All to do with FFP making things fair

11 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

No, nothing negative with Villa really changed my mind, more to do with Real and Barca being very financially insecure. Because usually those 2 were considered the only "non selling" clubs and now they need to sell. All to do with FFP making things fair

I think it’s more than FFP with those two clubs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

Who cares tbh. This is small team thinking. Liverpool fans don't calculate team value. This implies players for sale. 

i disagree. you can theorise whether player x or y would hypothetically be sold for profit were a team bid for them as it reflects overall on the sucess of our transfer business

the fact that the majority of the signings would be sold for profit just further proves how lucky we are to have purslow et al in charge of transfer dealings. this is an NWSE/Purslow/Smith transfer business appreciation thread, if you will

we're not saying we want anyone to be sold or anyone is for sale

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I seriously think Martinez is a £80mill+ 'keeper. He has the lot and I think right now, he'd be number 1 for any club team barring maybe 2 or 3.

Ye, the only thing that makes you question that is that he recently had a much lower transfer fee. But ye I agree.

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

I completely agree.  When we have owners that are building a club, investing heavily and looking to get us to the higher ends of football it seems strange to think negatively of how much we could sell our players for.  We have to get out of the small club mentality and start thinking about who we can buy, how far can we advance, what options we have and not things like how much our players are worth if they were to be sold inference. 

@MonkeypuzzleWe arent a selling club, our players arent for sale, therefore their value which is completely subjective is irrelevant. For example does it matter whether Arsenal and some other fans think Jack is worth 80m and that we think he's worth 150m+, of course not.  If you found a reasonable opposing fan to assess what they think the value of our players are, they would be nowhere near the values in the OP or any comments. 

Then even if try to value players, is the price what we value him at, which nobody would pay or what the opposing thinks he's worth which we'd never sell for.  Would anybody pay 30M+ for Targett, of course not!  We don't need to sell and we wont sell unless it suits us, so thinking about values of our players seems like a small club mentality in that we are waiting for somebody bigger to come and buy those players. 

I'm sure you have things in your personal life that you would never sell and have no intention to sell, why havent you put a price on them?  Surely lets value them.  The answer is you dont because you have no interest in selling them.

Sorry but the value of players is very important, everyone is forsale at the right price, even Jack. If someone bid 200m the club would accept on the spot. All you have to do is hone in on your price.

Also it is important to sell at the right time for building your squad too, within a season or two our net spends may not need to be what they have been due to higher value players being replaced.

Its not hard to imagine us wanting to replace Mings and McGinn in the next couple of years selling them for a good price and buying supposedly better and younger players.

If Liverpool’s interest in McGinn was true at 40m I could absolutely guarantee you I could get a more effective player for that money to replace him.

19 hours ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

So with Brighton's Ben White available for just above £50 million I was wondering what sort of value our own players would realistically be sold for in today's crazy market prices. I'm hoping none of them are sold, but IF they were, what price would we ask for? Fees paid from transfermarket.co.uk

Name                         Fee paid                        Selling price

Martinez                    £15.66 million              £50+ million?

Cash                           £14.18 million             £14.18 million (not sure be a lot of bidders)

Konsa                         £11.97 million             £45+ million?

Mings                          £20.07 million            £40+ million?

Targett                        £13.95 million             £30+ million? Agree he will be near this figure after another year like last year. At the moment I think closer to 20.

McGinn                        £2.79 million              £40+ million?

Douglas Luiz               £15.12 million           £20-25mill. Particularly with contact situation

Grealish                        Free                             £150+ million?

Buendia                         £34.56 million          £50+ million? (By the end of next season)

Traore                            £16.56 million          £18-20 mill, big season coming up

Watkins                         £30.6 million            £35-40 mill. If another good season will be over 50

Am I way off with any of those? What about other squad members? What do you guys think?

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Sorry but the value of players is very important, everyone is forsale at the right price, even Jack. If someone bid 200m the club would accept on the spot. All you have to do is hone in on your price.

Also it is important to sell at the right time for building your squad too, within a season or two our net spends may not need to be what they have been due to higher value players being replaced.

Its not hard to imagine us wanting to replace Mings and McGinn in the next couple of years selling them for a good price and buying supposedly better and younger players.

If Liverpool’s interest in McGinn was true at 40m I could absolutely guarantee you I could get a more effective player for that money to replace him.

Did I say the value of the player wasn’t important.  My point is thinking about it, talking about, trying to hone in on a value like this puts you into a mentality that you are a selling club or that you club sell them.  Only when you feel an upgrade is needed or you get a bid do you assess it on it’s individual merit.  But we have currently fans that instead of thinking how we can continue to progress and where we can go next are thinking about how much our players could be sold for, thinking that because, for example, Martinez played so well we’ll likely lose him next summer or their is a meltdown as soon as a “bigger” club are interested in X player and they are “definitely” gone then.  It’s small time thinking…

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Did I say the value of the player wasn’t important.  My point is thinking about it, talking about, trying to hone in on a value like this puts you into a mentality that you are a selling club or that you club sell them.  Only when you feel an upgrade is needed or you get a bid do you assess it on it’s individual merit.  But we have currently fans that instead of thinking how we can continue to progress and where we can go next are thinking about how much our players could be sold for, thinking that because, for example, Martinez played so well we’ll likely lose him next summer or their is a meltdown as soon as a “bigger” club are interested in X player and they are “definitely” gone then.  It’s small time thinking…

Screaming Fresh Prince Of Bel Air GIF

21 hours ago, WHY said:

Cash was playing his first season in the PL and only his second season at right back and is still only 23. He has plenty of room for improvement and was good last season. Name me a better RB we can get for £30m?

Hence I qualified the statement with "maybe".

This thread was clearly a hypothetical light hearted look at how much the players are worth now after the excellent work done on the training pitch and in the games over the last two seasons. 

Saying Jack is worth more than the world record fee is hardly small club mentality. We can demand what we want for Mings and Konsa after the Slabhead maths again is not small club mentality.

Just light hearted fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think it is worth thinking about for the reasons you replied to, like I said if McGinn is genuinely worth 40m and we keep playing him as a DCM...... I can buy a better DCM.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I think it is worth thinking about for the reasons you replied to, like I said if McGinn is genuinely worth 40m and we keep playing him as a DCM...... I can buy a better DCM.

Yeah I agree just have issues with discussing all players prices etc, just feels very negative look at the club.  Hard to explain, whereas I'm looking who can buy, where we can grow, what options we have...some are thinking how much all are players are worth if we sell.  Individually I dont mind but looking at all just feels defeatist somehow as if we are creating a 'For Sale' board of our available players like a shop.  Probably just my mentality...

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree just have issues with discussing all players prices etc, just feels very negative look at the club.  Hard to explain, whereas I'm looking who can buy, where we can grow, what options we have...some are thinking how much all are players are worth if we sell.  Individually I dont mind but looking at all just feels defeatist somehow as if we are creating a 'For Sale' board of our available players like a shop.  Probably just my mentality...

The purpose of this thread was clearly to celebrate how well the club has bought and developed talent compared to many of our rivals. It's celebrating our success. You can't achieve anything in football without good recruitment.

I feel like if you're interpreting that as a negative then your outlook is the one that's negative.  I think you should relax and join everyone else in being happy that we've assembled a good squad relatively cheaply, which puts us in a good position to keep improving. 

• Like 2

Â